Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK
No, but...

I've just done this and the bike was better; more responsive, snappier. I was idly wondering if getting the geo back to stock would make it more betterer.
A steeper head angle makes the bike more responsive to steering. I like 61.5 which I can’t have on the KSL.
I also like a 535 reach, ditto
Back to 2929 which seems to need different technique. When I bought the KSL I’d been on 2927 for 6 years - until I got the KSL which I currently have at 2929 and it’s significantly different to corner on the same tracks.
I did try the KSL as MX 2927 but as I have a calf / ankle injury went back to 2929 (for the moment) for better rollover.
So, my point is for those testing MX - that switching to 2927 isn’t going to make the bike feel better straight away. There’s an adaptation time.
MX 2927 definitely turns in easier and is snappier (even on a bike with 535 reach). But a bit less “smooth” (rollover) and pedals a little less well, but who cares with motor assist ‘;~} .
BUT with MX it is easier to get speed off the back of bumps and to change direction.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Yes.

I haven’t tried the EXT, but have tried the RS, Ohlins, and Cane Creek Kitsuma. Ohlins and CC are definitely twice as good as the RS.
I have tried the EXT (and the Push, Jade, Ohlins, Cane Creek and Fenix) and no way it is worth twice anything.

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
So, the 2023 RS Coil fits my S4.
And I think here is why. Have the old model in my Megawatt. Here are some pictures. The piggy has the same lenght like the old one but the old shock has not the same „length“ from the eye of the shock in direction to the complete shock lenght.
In fact the new model is close to the Float X which came with my comp.

Sorry for my bad english;-)

B2A08006-51F6-45B7-954D-0418386C79BF.jpeg 91D94CEC-11DC-4C4C-A401-575A5517FA72.jpeg 83B234C7-8504-48A8-8B4E-B07795BB2388.jpeg 20A60449-8413-41D8-8E47-CAE621F5EA1C.jpeg

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
So, the 2023 RS Coil fits my S4.
And I think here is why. Have the old model in my Megawatt. Here are some pictures. The piggy has the same lenght like the old one but the old shock has not the same „length“ from the eye of the shock in direction to the complete shock lenght.
In fact the new model is close to the Float X which came with my comp.

Sorry for my bad english;-)

View attachment 100199 View attachment 100200 View attachment 100201 View attachment 100202
Is your RS steel shaft version and normal one, not trunnion?

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
230x62.5 Metric, Aluminium shaft

The 23er Coil has a 21% stronger chassis then the previous version and its „E-Bike ready“ says RS.

The new Coil has also a HBO like the EXT. Did a quick run today and will go for a longer ride at the weekend. First impression is „sick“ ;-)

Last edited:

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
A steeper head angle makes the bike more responsive to steering. I like 61.5 which I can’t have on the KSL.

As long as you're ok with the rest of geo changes, you can have 61,7 in Mullet, Low BB and Slack Angle mode :- ). With 2.6" Fron tyre, it will be 61,5 exactly :- ). Just joking around, but imho it would still ride ok.
Also, when putting the bike to Mullet, BB High and Steep as Doomanic just did, the angle is 64 still. Still slack enough for contemporary standards, perhaps even ideal if the KSL is meant to be universal bike.

I am absolutely in love with my KSL Mullet setup, 4th ride today and I am just killing the corners. I feel zero rollover difference anywhere, imho hard to do that on plush 170mm bike with kinematics like KSL, it still juggernauts all in path.
It definitely suits this bike amazingly.
There is bit more rear-ward bias I wouldn't want on trail bike but since my KSL is effectively downhill machine, I love it.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Everything was up to date, but my motor had somehow lost its calibration.

We just had to hook it up to the computer, recalibrate, and it was all good to go. We also changed my wheel size from 2300m to 2000mm, so now I can go 23mph before the motor cuts out!
23mph because 2000mm is for 26” wheel with tire? Mine was set to 2180mm, for 27.5 with tire circumfrence.

Last edited:

Joshua Andrew

Oct 31, 2022
PNW
Thanks to this thread I decided to try a 230x65 shock for the 177 mythical rear travel. I went with the RS Super Delux to keep it in the RS family as I’ve been using the 190mm ZEB for a few months and have loved it.

I’ve been using the high position setup in the rear and the 1+ slack position in the front to try and compensate the geometry with the big fork. I haven’t done the math on the angles but the bike has felt amazing for the stuff I like to ride and at my size (6’2” 220lbs).

I had been using a 525lbs spring on a Push but tried a 450lbs spring on the RS. My thinking was a little more travel and the hydraulic bottom out on the new shock would make it more fun.

1st ride impressions: so much fun with a softer rear suspension. Takes some pressure off my arms. The HBO (hydraulic bottom out) on the coil is the real deal. I tried to push as hard as I could into some jumps and hucks today on familiar trails and only managed to get that dreaded bottom out click feeling once which was a big improvement from the Push Industries coil. The HBO jacked to the max actually makes the coil feel like an insanely progressive shock with an lovely ankle saving squish at the bottom of big hits. I felt like I was going faster and popping higher on jumpies. Definitely could feel the extra travel even if it was a small amount. Permagrin.

As far as the pedal strikes go, I didn’t have any problem on the descents but visually it looks like the pedals do sit lower than on the 230x62.5. Haven't done any technical climbs yet but I’ll check back in when I do. The fire road climbs Bellingham were totally fine with the coil lockout.

C4D1E810-A872-4037-9F92-747E014FE682.jpeg 76848FDC-3B5F-4C10-845D-D7BE5A05BBB0.jpeg

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Thanks to this thread I decided to try a 230x65 shock for the 177 mythical rear travel. I went with the RS Super Delux to keep it in the RS family as I’ve been using the 190mm ZEB for a few months and have loved it.

I’ve been using the high position setup in the rear and the 1+ slack position in the front to try and compensate the geometry with the big fork. I haven’t done the math on the angles but the bike has felt amazing for the stuff I like to ride and at my size (6’2” 220lbs).

I had been using a 525lbs spring on a Push but tried a 450lbs spring on the RS. My thinking was a little more travel and the hydraulic bottom out on the new shock would make it more fun.

1st ride impressions: so much fun with a softer rear suspension. Takes some pressure off my arms. The HBO (hydraulic bottom out) on the coil is the real deal. I tried to push as hard as I could into some jumps and hucks today on familiar trails and only managed to get that dreaded bottom out click feeling once which was a big improvement from the Push Industries coil. The HBO jacked to the max actually makes the coil feel like an insanely progressive shock with an lovely ankle saving squish at the bottom of big hits. I felt like I was going faster and popping higher on jumpies. Definitely could feel the extra travel even if it was a small amount. Permagrin.

As far as the pedal strikes go, I didn’t have any problem on the descents but visually it looks like the pedals do sit lower than on the 230x62.5. Haven't done any technical climbs yet but I’ll check back in when I do. The fire road climbs Bellingham were totally fine with the coil lockout.

View attachment 100525 View attachment 100526
Great you are enjoying it. I would say you are quite under sprung at 450lbs. At your weight at least a 500lb spring would be needed otherwise your sag will be huge.
The extra travel you can feel is because the Push shock gets thru it’s travel way too easily and spends a lot of time on the bottom out bumper and so feels nowhere near a 170 travel bike.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Hello all, can I ask what mileage you are generally getting out of your chain/cassettes on the KSL. I have the KSL Comp, SRAM GX. Ride all year in the UK and have done about 1300 miles so far. Clean and lub the chain regularly. Changed front ring cassette and chain at about 600 miles. Was super keen on checking chain wear second time round and have just put a new chain on at 0.5 wear. Hoping to get a couple of chains to a cassette, but it is worn. Anyone fitted anything different for greater life on these components?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Changed front ring cassette and chain at about 600 miles. Was super keen on checking chain wear second time round and have just put a new chain on at 0.5 wear. Hoping to get a couple of chains to a cassette, but it is worn.
:oops:
Have you tried using lube instead of grinding paste?

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
:oops:
Have you tried using lube instead of grinding paste?
It seems like that or everything is made of chocolate? Suppose the Forrest we ride is quite sandy, but I do use wet and dry lube as appropriate. Have a park tool chain cleaner and use it. It’s my first Emtb and I expected accelerated wear, but thought a half fat wouldn’t be so bad…

Joshua Andrew

Oct 31, 2022
PNW
Great you are enjoying it. I would say you are quite under sprung at 450lbs. At your weight at least a 500lb spring would be needed otherwise your sag will be huge.
The extra travel you can feel is because the Push shock gets thru it’s travel way too easily and spends a lot of time on the bottom out bumper and so feels nowhere near a 170 travel bike.
I am running a 450 spring at 84KG. That gives me round about 27-28% sag measured at the shaft.
Interesting. I haven’t really set up a coil before so was just going by feeling. The sag looked around 30% to me. I’ll probably go get a 500. Good thing the RS springs aren’t too expensive.

Joshua Andrew

Oct 31, 2022
PNW
I assumed when you mentioned you had a Push coil that it was on this bike?
Yeah they set that up for me. Felt too firm so I wanted to try softer. I actually thought it was a 500 push coil when I bought the 450 but actually was 525.

Regarding the Push, I had been using it for about 11 months but the seals went bad and it is going to take 1+ Months for it to be rebuilt by Push. Might sell it after the rebuild. I liked it just fine but the 230x65 is too enticing.

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
When you have the RS Coil, you can measure the sag by using the rubber at the end of piston.
Sit, or better stay on the bike and then push the rubber against the upper body. After that you can read the sag on the piston at the top of the rubber.
Its a little bit tricky to get you fingers through the spring but it will work fine.

samwilk200

Oct 7, 2022
UK
It seems like that or everything is made of chocolate? Suppose the Forrest we ride is quite sandy, but I do use wet and dry lube as appropriate. Have a park tool chain cleaner and use it. It’s my first Emtb and I expected accelerated wear, but thought a half fat wouldn’t be so bad…
That sounds very bad wear rates! If your cleaning/lubing regularly then something else is amiss. Eagle cassettes are some of the most durable out ther.

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Just noticed all the recent coil discussions on the KSL. I have the Ohlins TTX 22m and am loving it. I have a 525lbs spring and I weigh 185lbs w/o gear, and the TTX rebound fully open 7 clicks so it avoids packing while not being too springy. The shock has a slow rebound even fully opened, but I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of nitrogen in there which probably varies between shocks. Anyway, I'm posting here to recommend the Ohlins - it makes such a difference and in general I do think the KSL works better with coil in the rear given its weight and the speeds you can reach with that beast.

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
That sounds very bad wear rates! If your cleaning/lubing regularly then something else is amiss. Eagle cassettes are some of the most durable out ther.
+1 to those numbers being too low. I have over 1500 miles on mine and the cassette isn't anywhere near replacement. It could also be imprecise shifting/alignment, which will do more to grind everything down.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Just noticed all the recent coil discussions on the KSL. I have the Ohlins TTX 22m and am loving it. I have a 525lbs spring and I weigh 185lbs w/o gear, and the TTX rebound fully open 7 clicks so it avoids packing while not being too springy. The shock has a slow rebound even fully opened, but I'm guessing it has to do with the amount of nitrogen in there which probably varies between shocks. Anyway, I'm posting here to recommend the Ohlins - it makes such a difference and in general I do think the KSL works better with coil in the rear given its weight and the speeds you can reach with that beast.
One of the shops here in the UK was offering the KSL with Ohlins coil/fork for like £250 more than the stock bike. My mate bought one from them a few weeks ago.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I found the standard TTX tune a little off in the KSL but once tuned much better. Opening up the rebound tune and adding a stiffer HSC tune works well to keep the wheel from getting too deep in holes.

MetroNeck

Aug 13, 2020
North Van
I found the standard TTX tune a little off in the KSL but once tuned much better. Opening up the rebound tune and adding a stiffer HSC tune works well to keep the wheel from getting too deep in holes.
Finding the same thing. It’s maybe a bit dead. I think you’re right with it requiring a stiffer HSC baseline tune.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Care to share who as I'm weighing up options.
It was Brink, they’ve raised the prices a bit though after Spesh did the price increase. You can get the expert for £10k or the comp for £9100. They’ve got some decent sales depending on what size you’re looking at, S3 expert with stock suspension marked down to £7600 in yellow.

johned

Jul 30, 2022
UK
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone know the part number for the TCU remote controller for a 2022 Kenevo SL, mine got a bit bashed up when I had a recent bingle 😭
I've had a look on the Spesh website but couldn't find anything.
Thanks very much,
John

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles