Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

boylagz

Nov 13, 2021
jcgo1985
^ Rode mine earlier on as mullet and rides really well. Its full 29er now, you get used to wagon wheels over time, at 177cm I still prefer a mullet setup. Still have the occasional tire buzz.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Rode mine as a 29er until I destroyed the rear wheel, now mulleted because that’s what I had spare. Rode well as a 29er, rides well mulleted. I had slightly more pedal strikes on the first ride, but got used to it now

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
Here's a solution for a dropper post. Short insertion lenght and stack height, travel reduction with spacer and it's light.
Only 30.9 and 31.6 but you can use shim.
So compared to the 200 OneUp (210 shimmed to 200), you can drop 6.8mm more. Sadly for me that would work well for descending, but not pedaling, I am already compromised on my leg extension.

FranktheThanks

Oct 12, 2022
Drammen
I'm no fan of that SL Kenevo at all.
Non removable battery, low output and only 4kg lighter than a good eMTB with a grown up motor.
Where's the difference when a 95kg guys sits on it?

But damn, @Rob Rides EMTB , your video is real quality.
A feast for the eyes.
Loved watching it ??
I know a guy who removes the internal battery if he goes to the bike park, to make it lighter.
It takes 20 minuttes to remove it he said. He can still use the range extender if he wants to.

FranktheThanks

Oct 12, 2022
Drammen
Maybe this is already been brought up? Anyway...

Im hearing some rumors of a new SL motor. With 50-ish nM torque.

Have anyone else heard something about this?
And... Will the new motor fit in the "old" frame??

🤔

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Maybe this is already been brought up? Anyway...

Im hearing some rumors of a new SL motor. With 50-ish nM torque.

Have anyone else heard something about this?
And... Will the new motor fit in the "old" frame??

🤔
Rumour is it fits.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I highly doubt Specialized would allow retrofit (perhaps outside of potential warranty), they even blocked retrofitting MasterMind TCU where there is zero technical issue by artificially introducing firmware lock after they found out people were doing the retrofit themselves.
But I will let myself be positively surprised if the opposite is true.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I highly doubt Specialized would allow retrofit
When the SL was released, they said future motors would use the same mounting and potentially be retrofit.

However, since then we've had the mastermind TCU and they've tried to make it so you can't retrofit, presumably to encourage new bike sales instead of supporting existing customer base.

If there is a torque increase with the new motor, then it might be they have to use a different cable format to stop people swapping over, there could be a risk that the existing battery/extender might not support the potentially higher level of draw.

HarzEnduro

Jan 23, 2022
Germany
Or there's only less range. That wouldn't bother me too much as I ride in ECO and Trail only and always have about 30% battery left after 35km.

I'm actually thinking about selling my KSL frame as I have become that fit over the summer that the difference between me unfit on a KSL and me fit on a lighter nonE bike has become marginal. I rode a Last Glen the other day and it was so much mor fun than the KSL. Who cares about being on the top earlier, when it's the downhill I'm looking for. The KSL is a downhill slayer but it's far from flicky and you cannot really "jibb" with it.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Even with your lightweight build you think so? But good to know you improved that much, that's exactly what I hope so for myself eventually :- ). But I only need to turn the ECO off during climb to quickly realize I am never going back.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Or there's only less range. That wouldn't bother me too much as I ride in ECO and Trail only and always have about 30% battery left after 35km.

I'm actually thinking about selling my KSL frame as I have become that fit over the summer that the difference between me unfit on a KSL and me fit on a lighter nonE bike has become marginal. I rode a Last Glen the other day and it was so much mor fun than the KSL. Who cares about being on the top earlier, when it's the downhill I'm looking for. The KSL is a downhill slayer but it's far from flicky and you cannot really "jibb" with it.
I will agree it is less agile than even my modified Levo SL which I seem to prefer on the more steep and techy trails around here, I might be too old and injured to be "jibbing" from any where else than on the couch!

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
Anyone else had this pop up?

I just connected to Mission Control to change some power settings before heading out on a ride, and I got this message. Everything says it's up to date, and I just rode this bike a couple days ago without any issues.

I was hoping to get this sorted so I could get out for my ride early today, otherwise I'll just swing by my shop when they open in a couple hours.

IMG_3981.JPG

IMG_3982.PNG

Jcregut

Apr 11, 2022
So-Cal
Anyone else had this pop up?

I just connected to Mission Control to change some power settings before heading out on a ride, and I got this message. Everything says it's up to date, and I just rode this bike a couple days ago without any issues.

I was hoping to get this sorted so I could get out for my ride early today, otherwise I'll just swing by my shop when they open in a couple hours.

View attachment 99800

View attachment 99801
I didn’t get a message like that but did get this message about an update that needs to be done at a dealer…

58374C31-E243-4A86-A2F1-3A17D7156924.jpeg

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
Everything was up to date, but my motor had somehow lost its calibration.

We just had to hook it up to the computer, recalibrate, and it was all good to go. We also changed my wheel size from 2300m to 2000mm, so now I can go 23mph before the motor cuts out!

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Everything was up to date, but my motor had somehow lost its calibration.

We just had to hook it up to the computer, recalibrate, and it was all good to go. We also changed my wheel size from 2300m to 2000mm, so now I can go 23mph before the motor cuts out!
Cool, did they charge anything for reprogramming wheel size to 2000mm? I need to do the same.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Super happy with my mullet, but I was greedy for plushness and went 2.6 Kryptotal Re for the coveted winter comfort. Unfortunately, just as I expected, 2.6 high-volume versions of the any tyre still have somewhat off feeling, lot more on/off probably due to knob spacing. Going to put 2.4 Krypto-F on the rear, can't afford any sliding in corners now.
Funny, can't find single Krypto-F in 29 for the front, neither super-soft DH, or enduro-soft or trail-soft. Not one, not anywhere lol. R2-Bike says 3 month waiting list for these versions. Billion of endurance ones though. Continental probably can't believe what hit they have.

Edit: Installed Krypto-F 2.4 in rear, also Enduro Casing & Soft. Much ligher (1100 vs 1250 grams) So much better.
It's crazy seeing the difference in these two tyres. Continental is the first brand who really made the knobs MUCH bigger in 2.6 version, not just different spacing (like Maxxis and Specializes does, Schwalbe is somewhere in middle). The 2.6 was straight up motocross tyre and probably required very low pressure to avoid big dead zone.

Last edited:

thecellofellow

Sep 16, 2022
Pacific Northwet
Am I nuts for wanting to put Crossmax XL R wheels on my KSL Comp? I weigh 104kg, bike+cargo weighs 21kg at most, and Mavic rates the wheels at 150kg and ASTM cat. 4 (trail/enduro use). And yet they’re only 24 spoke front and rear. I ride mostly primitive trails and I can hang on to my OEM boat anchors if I decide to hit the bike park.

I have a set of Mavic XA Pros that I bought in 2018 that also seemed too good to be true on paper, but they’ve held up great on my Salsa Cutthroat, so I’m leaning toward giving these a shot.

Olivier Clg

Nov 15, 2021
France
Someone is running the new RS Coil 2023 in the KSL? Got one on order and I hope, that it will fit.

Hello, unfortunately it does not fit in the frame. I thought of doing the same thing and I had asked the question to Spech who had answered me in the negative. In coil there are other options: I chose Fenix from Fast-Suspension and it's perfect (y)

KSL-FENIX.jpg

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
Hello, unfortunately it does not fit in the frame. I thought of doing the same thing and I had asked the question to Spech who had answered me in the negative. In coil there are other options: I chose Fenix from Fast-Suspension and it's perfect (y)

View attachment 100133
Thank you. Did you asked especially for the new Coil? Someone in the german forum told me, that the new coil fits in his S5 KSL. Hmpf. The piggy on the new coil seems to be shorter.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Has anyone fitted a DVO Jade (not the X)? Does the reservoir clear the frame?

Not much on at work at the moment so I've pondering the effect of shock length on a mullet KSL. The Jade is available as a 241 x 75 so with the travel restricted to 62.5/65 might be a way to get the geometry back to stock while keeping the 27.5 wheel.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
The suspension would then start at around 3.4 leverage rate, end would be the same since it's very flat on last 4 cm (2.45). Moving sag point so much to the left could leave the bike little bit too soft.
I think it's bit too aggressive solution, do you still find the BB too low in mullet with only BB in high as compensation? I find it rather perfect, but putting headset into steep will inch another 2mm back.
But then again, year ago it seemed like half of all Rise owners long-shocked their bikes in similar amount (210 -> 216 + 4mm from offset bushings) without much complains, so you can experiment.

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
EXT Storia coil fits my KSL S5 just great AND its an amazing upgrade, done by Chris Porter at Mojo / Geometron Bikes who work very closely with EXT
Yes. The question is, is the double of the price = double the performance. The RS will arrive today and I will check, if it will fit without the spring.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Yes. The question is, is the double of the price = double the performance. The RS will arrive today and I will check, if it will fit without the spring.

Yes.

I haven’t tried the EXT, but have tried the RS, Ohlins, and Cane Creek Kitsuma. Ohlins and CC are definitely twice as good as the RS.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles