Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

johned

Jul 30, 2022
UK
You mean this (Specialized) S216800019 ? I see average price 59 Euro around here.

It's otherwise under parts, only item in Remote section. Same one for all spec ebikes.
Thanks so much, George, that's the part.
I wasn't aware of support.specialized.com so had searched on the main web page.
I appreciate your reply.
Best,
John

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
I’m holding off on the battery update, there’s been a few people that’s had it done and the battery capacity dropped. If you search on here you’ll find it.
I tried searching, found some negatives on Brose updates. Can you point me in the right direction perhaps? Thanks

Joshua Andrew

Oct 31, 2022
PNW
My LBS told me wait until december before doing it. He think there will be some update...🤷‍♂️
I’m not at all expecting this, but it would be amazing if you could turn off the auto power taper at 20% on the extender batteries. Or at least be able to drain an extender to 20% and then switch to the main battery. I have several extenders and it is such a hassle having to go to the app and restart the bike frequently when the extender is drained. 35nm is eco mode and 25nm is unusable on any kind of steep climb.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Exactly ! I am surprised how poorly the extended battery modes are made.
It would be such a simple fix to make the "Drain extended battery first" into adaptible mode that auto-switches to "drain both" when it reaches 20 perc. to avoid the dead zone of almost no power help.
Because of that, the drain extender first is effectively useless.

They constantly advertise for tech positions and they don't have programmer knowledge for primitive fix like this?

boylagz

Nov 13, 2021
jcgo1985
Exactly ! I am surprised how poorly the extended battery modes are made.
It would be such a simple fix to make the "Drain extended battery first" into adaptible mode that auto-switches to "drain both" when it reaches 20 perc. to avoid the dead zone of almost no power help.
Because of that, the drain extender first is effectively useless.

They constantly advertise for tech positions and they don't have programmer knowledge for primitive fix like this?
Ive asked Spesh myself and yeah it sucks. I want to drain the ext first when riding with it. Mine tapers at 10% until it switches to the frame batt. Dude said theres nothing thats being done about this and advised simul. draining mode to avoid the lag.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Seems there were new firmware updates released for battery(0.4.15), motor(42.9.1) and display(38.E.0) over the past month and must be done by a retailer. Anyone get the updates and notice anything different?

Joshua Andrew

Oct 31, 2022
PNW
You’d have to find the discussion on this forum but we have a battery super nerd (can’t remember his name) and he basically explained that using the small battery only would greatly reduce its life and using both the main and extra battery gives both batteries a longer life.

So as y’all think they’re idiots it’s actually because they’re smart and there’s likely problems with draining the external battery to the point that they’ll never consider it.
Do most KSL owners only use like 50-75 battery points per ride? That doesn’t get you very far.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Do most KSL owners only use like 50-75 battery points per ride? That doesn’t get you very far.
In Finland I got 25 km per ride, normally 200-400 meters vertical. So I get three rides before have to charge. Yes I know, i’m living in flat land. Consumption is about 1 Wh per km.

In Alps I got 10,2 km and 1050 m vertical and then down, total km a little bit over 20, used about 80% battery. But it was very steep climg, 100m vertical per km.

To me it’s good enough.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
there’s likely problems with draining the external battery to the point that they’ll never consider it.

1) Right now, "shorten lifespan" mode already exists anyway, it's the "use extender first to point of heavy taper"
2) I advocate for changing that mode only to start proportionally charging from main battery at point right before the taper occurs, and delivery is always smooth, no taper occurs to mixed charge due to temporary dead zone. This would in NO way worsen that mode's impact on lifespan, so your argument on this incorrect.

Do you understand what adaptivity would do ? It would effectively switch from mode1 (extender only) to mode2 automatically, without user input, which is what everyone right now does.

But you had to build a strawman.

Surprise, this is already how other systems are doing it. Are other engineers dumber than Spec? No, Spec is just lazy to do feature updates.

Re Battery: 2000 KM on my KSL this year (maybe not enough, but I have toddler and spent equal KMs on pumptracks), almost always discharge to less than 10perc, then fully charge to 100, leave for days if must. Battery still at 100perc. health. Baby-sitting lithium batteries has become obssesive. Impossible to do any long-term damage to battery on gravity oriented bike, no one on KSL or LS runs 20K per year.

Last edited:

Sid Duffman

Aug 23, 2022
San Jose, CA
Proud owner of a new KSL expert, and got my first ride in yesterday. Overall quite pleased with it. Having no idea what to expect from the battery, I spent a lot of time in eco mode. After 22 miles and 4500 ft vert (35km/1370m), still had 42% of battery remaining. So I put it in turbo mode for the 5 mile/1000ft fireroad slog back to the parking lot and that drained the battery to 9%.

As a long time fan of Shimano brakes, the Codes feel woefully underpowered. I might give it a few more rides, but will probably swap them out. Fork and shock needs some dialing in, but decided to swap the fork for the Manitou Mezzer that was on my other bike. I figure the Fox 38 performance elite probably has good resale value. The shock handled single hits well, but less impressive in chattery stuff.

Sid Duffman

Aug 23, 2022
San Jose, CA
For those who have gone the mullet route, did you do any other changes to tweak the geometry?

Playing around with the numbers, it seem like if I went to a 180mm fork, high bottom bracket and middle headtube angle, the BB height and head tube angle would be similar to the stock geo with 29er front/rear, 170mm fork, and low/slack settings.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
For those who have gone the mullet route, did you do any other changes to tweak the geometry?

Playing around with the numbers, it seem like if I went to a 180mm fork, high bottom bracket and middle headtube angle, the BB height and head tube angle would be similar to the stock geo with 29er front/rear, 170mm fork, and low/slack settings.
You're correct.
I did Mullet, BB high (I think bigger benefit is shorter chainstay rather than the BB itself) and kept 170 ZEB on middle position.
That alone lowers the head angle to 63. So upping to 180 would you give you low/slack, but with additional slacker seat tube, possibly less anti-rise.
The bike feels very DH-worthy in this setup with 170 alone, mind the additional stack height even without rising the fork.
Fun fact: I put all the numbers into bike-stats and the bike was 99perc. identical to new mullet Santa Cruz Nomad :- ). Kinda confirming to me the mullet didn't affect anything negatively (mainly because the BB flip-chip shortens chainstays as well outside of lifting the BB up.)

elkefro

Dec 19, 2022
Porto
Hello,

Anyone with play on the upper link bolt? It turns but doesn't fix... Thanks
Kenevo SL

1671451829964.png

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
Has anyone actually seen their battery health drop? I have 67 charge cycles with my battery health still showing 100%, and I'm wondering if that's accurate.

Also, just got my first motor replacement after 1,450 miles. The internal sprag clutch (or whatever clutch system they use) stripped out on me. It'd be interesting to hear if that's happened to anyone else here, cause my shop said I was the first they've seen that happen to.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Has anyone actually seen their battery health drop? I have 67 charge cycles with my battery health still showing 100%, and I'm wondering if that's accurate.

Also, just got my first motor replacement after 1,450 miles. The internal sprag clutch (or whatever clutch system they use) stripped out on me. It'd be interesting to hear if that's happened to anyone else here, cause my shop said I was the first they've seen that happen to.
What were the signs/symptoms of stripped clutch?

lzrm00s

Jan 21, 2022
CA
This is going to be an oddly specific question, but does anyone know of a chainring for the Kenevo SL, that comes in a silver-ish color?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles