Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
Hi folks.

I am looking to buy the Kenevo Comp but not sure on the size I would need, I’m 5’ 6” what would you guys recommend.

Cheers
Im same hight and ride a S2, size is perfect.
I also had the last gen 1 Kenevo in Medium so thought i would need a S3 but the new Kenevo is longer so makes a great fit.
The old kenevo was also a little tall for me but also to short new bike is much better geo.

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Keep riding till it fails because then you will get a air can replacement under warranty.

Edit: And it will fail because there is way to much play in the rear wheel which is directly transferred to the shock. Which is why coil should never go on the Levo or Kenevo. Most will fail eventually. The Bomber was failing out of the box in the shop apparently.
What do you mean about the amount of play in the rear wheel? ..ive Had a look on mine and I can’t find any play

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
when they 1st came out the shocks were built with the wrong loctite and the shaft would undo spitting oil everywhere but they’ve sorted it now , rear end moves the same as most bikes and not noticeable imo !

MEDUIX

Nov 21, 2018
BARCELONA
when they 1st came out the shocks were built with the wrong loctite and the shaft would undo spitting oil everywhere but they’ve sorted it now , rear end moves the same as most bikes and not noticeable imo !

If they've sorted it now...why are they changing the coil shocks for air shocks? and why the new Kenevos are all of them with air shocks?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
If they've sorted it now...why are they changing the coil shocks for air shocks? and why the new Kenevos are all of them with air shocks?
They have had a lot of failures of both shocks and broken frame mounts. Is this due to people not understanding how to set up a coil shock and winding a ton of preload on rather than buying the correct spring?
Certainly quite a few pictures I've seen indicates this is the case in some instances certainly.
It's harder to screw up setting up an airshock for the average buyer.
I will agree the Marz is garbage though.
I will change my mind if my correctly setup superdelux fails.

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
I am also 5'10 on an S3 and it feels perfect, as a matter of fact this is to me, the best fitting bike I have ever owned or ridden.

I´m also 5´10 and had the chance to try both S3 and S4. Tried first S3 and felt quite good. Then I tried S4 and felt much better!
Testing happened last year in May in the parking lot, bike shops were closed and not allowed to sell anything but to have their workshops open because of the pandemic. So I checked from outside how I was looking on the 2 bikes in the big windows of the shop. S3 looked too short and cramped. S4 looked perfect and now that I have done many miles on it it´s clear for me that it was the right decision to take S4. I´m using the bike for bikepark but also for my absolutely normal hometrail rides.

bushkila

Mar 10, 2020
Europe
@cozzy ....Kenevo 2020 comp,Rockshox SuperDeluxeCoil.....
:rolleyes:
1610998745602.png

MEDUIX

Nov 21, 2018
BARCELONA
They have had a lot of failures of both shocks and broken frame mounts. Is this due to people not understanding how to set up a coil shock and winding a ton of preload on rather than buying the correct spring?
Certainly quite a few pictures I've seen indicates this is the case in some instances certainly.
It's harder to screw up setting up an airshock for the average buyer.
I will agree the Marz is garbage though.
I will change my mind if my correctly setup superdelux fails.
That is exactly the official speech of SPecialized and to me, honestly, it seems like a bad excuse.

Pretending to blame users for multiple shock breaks on the 2020 Kenevo is very undecent and very inelegant.

There are many ebikes on the market with spring shocks that have no problems.
So we Specialized users are stupid and that's why the shocks break ?? ... come on !!!

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
That is exactly the official speech of SPecialized and to me, honestly, it seems like a bad excuse.

Pretending to blame users for multiple shock breaks on the 2020 Kenevo is very undecent and very inelegant.

So we Specialized users are stupid and that's why the shocks break ?? ... come on !!!

The current Specialized design definitely puts more stress on the shock. I think what Specialized trying to say, ineloquently, is that the extra stress combined with poor setup is causing the failures. If the springs are within standard parameters of preload and spring weight there are far fewer issues.

This should really be laid at the feet of dealers selling bikes. Specialized and any other manufacturer selling coil sprung bikes should provide a selection of springs to the selling dealers so that they can be setup properly at the time of purchase with zero costs. The idea that someone has to figure out and then procure a spring on their own after point of sale is just stupid. It leads to a poor customer experience, warranty issues and damages the brand name. All this to save about $100 in wholesale costs to stock 4 extra springs.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK

Some riders are absolutely clueless. You only have to look at the some of the questions asked on facebook groups or on here. Not having ridden for decades or coming from an mx backgroup it seems. This lack of knowledge in setting up a coil shock is obviously causing spesh a lot of money in warranty claims. Which is now being passed down to us with the massive price hikes this year.
Its harder for an enduser to mess up with an airshock.

Again if my correctly setup superdelux with the correct spring for my weight with the correct amount of preload snaps or tears the lug off the frame, then I will change my stance.

Its a load of rubbish too. There was 5 failed Marzocci Coils broken out of the box in 1 shop.
As I said, the marz appears to be garbage.

Last edited:

MEDUIX

Nov 21, 2018
BARCELONA
Some riders are absolutely clueless. You only have to look at the some of the questions asked on facebook groups or on here. Not having ridden for decades or coming from an mx backgroup it seems. This lack of knowledge in setting up a coil shock is obviously causing spesh a lot of money in warranty claims. Which is now being passed down to us with the massive price hikes this year.

Again if my correctly setup superdelux with the correct spring for my weight with the correct amount of preload snaps or tears the lug off the frame, then I will change my stance.

As I said, the marz appears to be garbage.

If the fault were of the users, many other ebikes on the market that have spring shock would also suffer generalized breakages and it is not like that.

It is still true (in part) that there are many inexperienced users, that the Mz CR shock is a real rubbish, that Spec does not have a good weight guide for the bike, etc ... but the really important thing is that the Kenevo 2020 have a problem in their suspension system, and it is a serious problem and this is the reason why they have changed to an air shock.

I do not consider myself an inexperienced user, I am 49 years old, I have been practicing enduro for more than 20 years, I have had a multitude of bicycles, spring shock absorbers, DH bikes, etc ... and this summer my MZ CR shock broke midway on the mountains of Benasque (Spain) while I was climbing!!!!

My height is 190cm, I weigh 90kg and I had a 600lbs spring with 1 turn of preload (SAG 30%) which I think is the right one ... Specialized has come to suggest that the shock broke because I am very heavy and surely I was carrying too much preload ... that's EXCUSES, bad excuses.

Naturally, to my outrage, they ended up substituting the Mz CR for a Fox DPX2 Air for free.
At the moment the DPX2 is not bad at all, but one of the arguments of the purchase of the Kenevo in its day was that it had a coil spring shock ... and now I cannot put one on it without risking it breaking.

Stop justifying Specialized's mistakes and start claiming what is fair.

Greetings from Spain!!!!

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Bike shops should set up susp for customers properly! Marz shock builds were the issue and any product is fallible!

MEDUIX

Nov 21, 2018
BARCELONA
Bike shops should set up susp for customers properly! Marz shock builds were the issue and any product is fallible!
If the problem had only been the Mz CR shock, Specialized would have replaced them with any other coil spring shock and it has not been the case.
If the problem had only been the Mz CR shock, the Kenevo 2021 range would come out with any coil spring shock but from another brand and / or model ... and it has not been like that, they have gone on to an air spring shock and not exactly a Fox X2, but the DPX2 "custom".

The real problem (in my opinion) goes much further than a Marzocchi manufacturing problem ... shock of various brands and models (Fox, Mz, RS ...) are breaking and Specialized advises against mounting any shock currently other than the DPX2.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Loctite strength was what I believe is the marz issue, if you’re right then why haven’t spesh done a recall ?

MEDUIX

Nov 21, 2018
BARCELONA
Loctite strength was what I believe is the marz issue, if you’re right then why haven’t spesh done a recall ?

I have no idea, I'm not Specialized.

If you're right then why haven't spesh simply change the MzCr for another coil spring shock in the 2021 range instead of going to air shocks?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I don’t know , maybe they got a deal on the marz shocks and I haven’t heard of many coil deluxe go pop

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Levo and Kenevo both have a pretty high stroke to travel ratio meaning you need a run a heavy spring. My mate’s Levo had a Cane Creek that ripped the shaft out of the lower eyelet. We weigh the same but he needs a 650lb spring on his Levo compared to the 550lb on my Rail (and 525lb would be better)

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
The 2021 kenevo comps come with the same cr shock so can’t be an issue anymore or can it ! My 2020 blew after a few rides ( I’d bet mine was the 1st to go ) and was replaced with another from the same batch which lasted a few months . Got a 3rd one and was told of the loctite issue . Has been fine since but have now put in a cane creek 500/600 spring on a medium which is sweet atm ! ?

MEDUIX

Nov 21, 2018
BARCELONA
The 2021 kenevo comps come with the same cr shock so can’t be an issue anymore or can it ! My 2020 blew after a few rides ( I’d bet mine was the 1st to go ) and was replaced with another from the same batch which lasted a few months . Got a 3rd one and was told of the loctite issue . Has been fine since but have now put in a cane creek 500/600 spring on a medium which is sweet atm ! ?
This is not true.
The Kenevo 2021 range comes ALL with air shocks, the Comp model with the Fox DPX2 and the Expert model with the RS SuperDeluxe Select Plus.
It is possible that depending on the country the Specialized website has not been updated yet but on the Spanish website it is.

I attach a link:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
All 2020’s were sold out and the 2021’s are exactly the same ( we now get the dove white option and other countries get the gunmetal ) , I saw a guy on one the other week and it was sold as a 21 and came with the cr coil at £5800 . Everywhere are now waiting til June for stocks so they might come with air shocks !
I’m pleased with mine but spesh need to sort out info !

Kiwiman

Jan 31, 2020
New Zealand
Hi guys. I got an 2020 expert and I changed to an 2021 fox x2. For me it transformed the bike especially as I swooped the boxxer for a zeb. Now it is an absolute dream bike to ride. But I guess each to their own. The x2 only just fit on an s5. Cheers

Redleg

Jan 12, 2021
The Netherlands
All 2020’s were sold out and the 2021’s are exactly the same ( we now get the dove white option and other countries get the gunmetal ) , I saw a guy on one the other week and it was sold as a 21 and came with the cr coil at £5800 . Everywhere are now waiting til June for stocks so they might come with air shocks !
I’m pleased with mine but spesh need to sort out info !
Bought my 2021 Kenevo expert last December at WatzUp.bike in Oberhausen Germany and they still had some new ones in stock. I bought a green S5 and they still had some 2021 black models in stock.
I believe they still have a lot of different brands EMTB bikes in stock.
Mine came with a Rock Shox Deluxe air shock that I replaced with a Fox X2 air shock.
Tomorrow it will also sport a Fox 49 so I have a mullet set up.
Kenevo 2021.jpg

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
The clueless one here is you unfortunately. Else you would see alone from the label on the spring that its not default.

Thats my bike in the picture btw and it shows the 3rd shock broken within 8 months. All operated with custom springs matching my weight and therefore minimal preload according to manufacturer recommendation.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles