Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

Casey

Oct 31, 2018
Seattle, WA USA
Ordered an S4 comp this morning, picking up tomorrow evening. Looking forward to riding it and comparing it to my Levo Expert. Its been an expensive year for bikes as got the missus a levo comp in January and my expert in July.

How’s it compare to the Expert Levo? That’s what I have and I’m thinking of getting the Expert Kenevo.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
How’s it compare to the Expert Levo? That’s what I have and I’m thinking of getting the Expert Kenevo.

Its different, but running the two they compliment each other. I got the Kenevo to play at bike parks and the Levo is my adventure bike. I have a large levo and a S4 kenevo. My friends S3 Kenevo feels the same as my large levo. The S4 is a good size. With my limited bike park experience the Kenevo really does just plough through everything and feels super stable.

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Finally placed my order for my first ebike! I collect it on Saturday. Can’t wait!
2020 Kenevo Expert
I’m around 6ft tall and 80kg and went for an S4. Coming from an agile carbon Santa Cruz 5010, I thought I would prefer the S3 based off the geo chart but in the end I never even sat on one. The S4 just felt right (in the showroom).

Did most people go tubeless or stick with tubes? I’ve never ridden tubeless before but I know a lot swear by it.

SantaMtb

Dec 4, 2019
Sweden
I contacted my store today and went from S4 to S5. It´s gonna be a big change in regards of reach compared to what I´m used to, but I´m 186cm so I´m within Spec S5 size range. Also based this on several posts with people that are 185 that stated that it felt kinda small.

This is my first ebike ever. Finally I can get deep into my local hills on a tight time budget. As a father of two, soon three this is perfect!

So, now I´m going into the woods to find something to eat for the next year or two as I am totally skint... (and I´m still paying down my Canyon Sender...)
Hi! I am 187 cm the guy at my store says I should go for the s4 but I am not sure... What do you think?

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
I contacted my store today and went from S4 to S5. It´s gonna be a big change in regards of reach compared to what I´m used to, but I´m 186cm so I´m within Spec S5 size range. Also based this on several posts with people that are 185 that stated that it felt kinda small.

This is my first ebike ever. Finally I can get deep into my local hills on a tight time budget. As a father of two, soon three this is perfect!

So, now I´m going into the woods to find something to eat for the next year or two as I am totally skint... (and I´m still paying down my Canyon Sender...)
Hi! I am 187 cm the guy at my store says I should go for the s4 but I am not sure... What do you think?

I will go for the S5 .

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany

I found that the bike feels smaller/more compact than it looks on the geometry chart. I would ignore the reach figures and go and have a sit on one.

SantaMtb

Dec 4, 2019
Sweden
I found that the bike feels smaller/more compact than it looks on the geometry chart. I would ignore the reach figures and go and have a sit on one.
Can not do that, the shops around me doesn't even have e bikes?
This will be my first e bike, today I've got an YT jeffsy in large and it feels a bit to small.

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany

I think, you are between the sizes S4 and S5. I'm 1,83cm and took the S4. The S5 was a bit to large for me.

MHO in your case:
Do you prefer playful bikes, then the S4 should be yours. Do you want to shred the trails like a bulldozer, you might go for the S5.

But...No one can make your decision. The best is, to demo one before spending a lot of money.

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Can anybody tell me what the warranty coverage in the EU (specifically Germany) is for the 2020 Kenevo? I think I read somewhere that Specialized offer 2 years on the motor and battery and lifetime on the frame. Is this correct?

Also, this question has probably been asked a thousand times but how many charge cycles can you expect out of an ebike battery before it needs replacing?

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
Can anybody tell me what the warranty coverage in the EU (specifically Germany) is for the 2020 Kenevo? I think I read somewhere that Specialized offer 2 years on the motor and battery and lifetime on the frame. Is this correct?

Also, this question has probably been asked a thousand times but how many charge cycles can you expect out of an ebike battery before it needs replacing?

you are right , 2 years motor and battery and lifetime on frame for the first owner .

In theory the battery should hold 500 charges , in my experience and from what I see on the forums you should expect no more that half of that number .

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
how many charge cycles can you expect out of an ebike battery before it needs replacing?

That really depends on how well you treat it. If you limit 100% charges to when only absolutely necessary, don't leave it fully charged and don't discharge to low levels unnecessarily then you can expect many useful charge cycles.

charge cycle life.png

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Thanks for the replies guys. Max 500 charge cycles doesn’t sound like much on a €1k battery.

My new Kenevo has been stood on display for a while, so let’s hope they’ve not been hammering around the shop carpark in turbo mode too often ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks for the replies guys. Max 500 charge cycles doesn’t sound like much on a €1k battery.

My new Kenevo has been stood on display for a while, so let’s hope they’ve not been hammering around the shop carpark in turbo mode too often ?
It doesn't sound that much, but if you averaged 50k per charge cycle over the life of the battery, that's 25,000 kilometres ... Which is enough to give anyone a sore arse ??

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
In just picked up me kenevo expert yesterday and can honestly say it was love at first sight! I tried to by a decoy then a meta power 29 but had issues with import. Found the kenevo locally and am glad that I did.

I am 178 tall and weigh 118 kg on an S3 which fits me perfectly minus the spring which is being replaced for a 650 next week
I made this purchase blind, I had only ever ridden an ebike 2 years ago in a parking lot for 5 minutes. With that being said this is the best think I have bought in a solid 15 years!! I come from an mx background and weigh a lot which didn't help me pound up and down hills in my area. I am coming off a 2018 yt Capra which was a great bike until the kenevo showed up!

I was literally screaming like a little girl plowing down and up my local rock and mud infested trails that have killed me for years. This is the first time I have had this much fun in years!

With 4 kids and an full time job, I only have a spare hour here and there to ride which I will use to the fullest moving forward. First day out did around 19km using a mix of boost and trail. I could have done way more as I came back with 5 bars left. The only think slowing me down was my sore ass which is not used to that much saddle time! Here are a few pics of my new pride and joy in the wilderness.

20191212_152304.jpg

20191212_152248.jpg

woodsy

Jun 12, 2018
walsall
I
In just picked up me kenevo expert yesterday and can honestly say it was love at first sight! I tried to by a decoy then a meta power 29 but had issues with import. Found the kenevo locally and am glad that I did.

I am 178 tall and weigh 118 kg on an S3 which fits me perfectly minus the spring which is being replaced for a 650 next week
I made this purchase blind, I had only ever ridden an ebike 2 years ago in a parking lot for 5 minutes. With that being said this is the best think I have bought in a solid 15 years!! I come from an mx background and weigh a lot which didn't help me pound up and down hills in my area. I am coming off a 2018 yt Capra which was a great bike until the kenevo showed up!

I was literally screaming like a little girl plowing down and up my local rock and mud infested trails that have killed me for years. This is the first time I have had this much fun in years!

With 4 kids and an full time job, I only have a spare hour here and there to ride which I will use to the fullest moving forward. First day out did around 19km using a mix of boost and trail. I could have done way more as I came back with 5 bars left. The only think slowing me down was my sore ass which is not used to that much saddle time! Here are a few pics of my new pride and joy in the wilderness.

View attachment 22879

View attachment 22880

I weigh 108kg and on my 2018 Kenevo i ran a 625 spring and i was forever bottoming it out.On my 2020 Kenevo i went for a 700 and i've yet to bottom this one out or even get any peddle strikes.......you might want to go heavier than 650

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
I

View attachment 22879

View attachment 22880

I weigh 108kg and on my 2018 Kenevo i ran a 625 spring and i was forever bottoming it out.On my 2020 Kenevo i went for a 700 and i've yet to bottom this one out or even get any peddle strikes.......you might want to go heavier than 650

Where did you get the 700 coil ?

Dpickin1

Oct 2, 2019
Israel
I

I hear that but the 650 was the heaviest tf tuned had. Hoping to drop some serious weight now that I have no more excuses to not ride!

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Anyone using the Sicomtb rear mudguard on the 2020 Kenevo? Recommended or is something like the Mudhugger FRX enough?

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Anyone using the Sicomtb rear mudguard on the 2020 Kenevo? Recommended or is something like the Mudhugger FRX enough?
Yes I have one on mine. Great guard, very factory looking. I hear there’s a revision in the works to add a bit of material on the lower section to cover the motor vent a little more.
Otherwise great product!

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Can anyone comment on whether the below ~1mm gap in the headset is normal?

FAD5EC0B-4B98-4133-8D95-9250E6E768AA.jpeg

After querying it with the shop they said that ‘they’re all like that’ but they did let it out of the workshop with a steerer tube spacer missing and therefore some noticeable play in the headset, so I’m a bit reluctant to just take their word for it...

It doesn’t push down any further, as the compression ring is pronounced and stops this.

With my cane creek 40 headset on the analogue bike everything sits flush.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Can anyone comment on whether the below ~1mm gap in the headset is normal?

View attachment 23078

After querying it with the shop they said that ‘they’re all like that’ but they did let it out of the workshop with a steerer tube spacer missing and therefore some noticeable play in the headset, so I’m a bit reluctant to just take their word for it...

It doesn’t push down any further, as the compression ring is pronounced and stops this.

With my cane creek 40 headset on the analogue bike everything sits flush.
No it should never be like that

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
No it should never be like that

I thought so. Thanks for the confirmation. Now for the next question. How do I fix it? I’ve had the thing in pieces (difficult to do on the living room floor with dual crown forks and no workstand...) and it all looks correctly assembled. Upper bearing sits flush in the cup, the lip of the compression ring slots in nicely. It’s just the plastic cap that sits 1mm high. I can’t work it out.

Last edited:

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
This was already mentioned in german forum. It seems, that all Experts have this gap... mine included.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles