Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

Mannymtb

Nov 28, 2019
Scotland
Can anyone comment on whether the below ~1mm gap in the headset is normal?

View attachment 23078

After querying it with the shop they said that ‘they’re all like that’ but they did let it out of the workshop with a steerer tube spacer missing and therefore some noticeable play in the headset, so I’m a bit reluctant to just take their word for it...

It doesn’t push down any further, as the compression ring is pronounced and stops this.

With my cane creek 40 headset on the analogue bike everything sits flush.
It's normal especially on specialized bikes! My comp version also has it

Dave11

Nov 5, 2019
Sydney
Does anyone know if there is an actual difference between the height and position of the handle bars between the Comp and the Expert? I have a Comp and it is awesome but it has a lower stack height than I am used to and looking at photos of the Expert with the dual crown the bar appears considerably higher.

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Can anyone confirm the stock handlebar diameter on the 2020 Expert? Is it a 35mm clamp? Doesn’t seem to be listed on the Specialized site. Just doing a bit of handlebar shopping and don’t have my bike with me.

Pablo

Aug 25, 2019
Hampshire
Any one know what the torque setting is on this? both sides are loose (other side was sticking out)
Cheers

85860AE9-CAB5-4B20-AFD4-D2353F53541C.jpeg

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
When swapping the coil on my X-spurt, I noticed there's a plastic washer underneath the rubber bump stop. See photo.
IMG_20200101_084048.jpg
This washer does not appear in the super deluxe coil service manual as near as I can tell. So my question is, is this really a 65 mm shock simply shimmed down to 62.5 and can I remove the shim to increase the travel? If so, I am thinking remove the shim, flip the chip, and change the boxxer to 190 mm for a little more travel and a little more ground clearance without totally changing the geometry. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I think that’s a great idea!
I’m no mechanic though so maybe wait for a few pros to weigh in.

DC101

May 20, 2019
Kent
Anyone fitted hope's with braided lines to the new Kenevo yet? Any problems with running the rear line through the frame?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How are you planning on removing the washer? If you want to get it off without damaging it you need to drain the nitrogen from the shock and remove the shock mounting eye. The nitrogen will need to be replaced afterwards which isn’t a home mechanic job.
If you cut it off and any of the shock linkages hit the frame because of the extra travel what are you going to do?

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
How are you planning on removing the washer? If you want to get it off without damaging it you need to drain the nitrogen from the shock and remove the shock mounting eye. The nitrogen will need to be replaced afterwards which isn’t a home mechanic job.
If you cut it off and any of the shock linkages hit the frame because of the extra travel what are you going to do?

I was planning to cut it off.. Hoping somebody has tried a 230 x 65 and would report in..

I think that’s a great idea!
I’m no mechanic though so maybe wait for a few pros to weigh in.

Thanks Christian. I am somewhat known for having bad ideas..??

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Thanks Christian. I am somewhat known for having bad ideas..??

Me too, I am never happy with anything I buy. It has to be modified to my liking. Im running a 236/70mm Ohlins with an offset bush on my 2020 and have no problems at all.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
232 exactly as the bush is 4mm offset. I had another bush up top but it was a solid fit and would keep loosening the shock bolt so had to take it out. The bike rides a little higher than it should but no biggie. I am going to play with a Levo bracket to see if I can drop the bottom bracket down to stock height or lower

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
232 exactly as the bush is 4mm offset. I had another bush up top but it was a solid fit and would keep loosening the shock bolt so had to take it out. The bike rides a little higher than it should but no biggie. I am going to play with a Levo bracket to see if I can drop the bottom bracket down to stock height or lower

Thanks Christian for the info. If you are 232 w/ a 70mm stroke and no clearance issues, I should have no problem @ 65 mm

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Thanks Christian for the info. If you are 232 w/ a 70mm stroke and no clearance issues, I should have no problem @ 65 mm
Plenty of space there, I think on full squash it had around 20mm space. You’ll shit it in with 65mm.
For the record I’ve bottomed out a few times on massive drops and no marks on the frame.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
When swapping the coil on my X-spurt, I noticed there's a plastic washer underneath the rubber bump stop. See photo. View attachment 23904 This washer does not appear in the super deluxe coil service manual as near as I can tell. So my question is, is this really a 65 mm shock simply shimmed down to 62.5 and can I remove the shim to increase the travel? If so, I am thinking remove the shim, flip the chip, and change the boxxer to 190 mm for a little more travel and a little more ground clearance without totally changing the geometry. What do you guys think?

That washer is supposed to be there - I recently bought a brand new super deluxe coil for another bike and it has the washer, its purpose is to stop the rubber bottom out bumper stop deforming on the spring retainer , specifically the slot where you slide the retainer on. At least that's what I was told!

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
That washer is supposed to be there - I recently bought a brand new super deluxe coil for another bike and it has the washer, its purpose is to stop the rubber bottom out bumper stop deforming on the spring retainer , specifically the slot where you slide the retainer on. At least that's what I was told!
My 55mm stroke super deluxe coil does not have the gravel reducing washer and the bump stop is directly on the spring retainer so it's unlikely the washer has any other function other than reducing travel.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
interesting - given the "give" in the bump stop it doesn't seem to me to be doing that much of a job of reducing the travel

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Yes, interesting. What was the stroke on your new shock? The exploded view does not show it, but if you look really closely at the bottom of the bump stop it looks like there's something

Screenshot_20200102-050437.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles