Norco VLT Bikes 2022

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
Have you connected your motor to etube ride? Shimano for some reason defaults to a lower power profile
Yeah, I maxed out everything on E-TUBE. Just the nature of the EP8 motor, the Bosch flat out destroyed it on climbs. The EP8 requires much more rider effort to achieve the same level of performance. My son rides a Rail 7 had now he leaves me in the dust. When I had my last Rail, we were evenly matched on climbs. That Ok, I just ride everywhere in Boost, with the 900 battery, I can still put in some long rides.

Norcoluvin

Jun 1, 2022
Port Coquitlam
When you push the power, the display turns on with (Shimano Steps) and turns off in a few seconds.
No problems with the bike until now, no codes or shut downs. Its my first ebike so don't know what usually happens.
I new there would be issues, but 3 months seems a little silly.
I’ve got this problem as well on my A2. There is certainly something wrong with the connection port. Mine will connect and start up if I fiddle around with the connection. The challenge is on really janky fast trails, it will fiddle itself lose and disconnect. When I charge it, I have to fiddle the connection as well to get it to connect. Something is definitely wrong with the port on the battery.
I’ll be taking it in to the shop next week and will update if I learn anything.
Love this bike to pieces, but this is super annoying on a $10k Cdn bike…

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
Hey team, I have recently moved to norco c1 after my reign e 2022 got cracks in bottom tube area, I'm waiting for warranty frame but could not resist this one. My bike did the turn on then die thing in the shop when I went to pick it up.
They swapped the battery and it was fixed.
From what I've learned of it has no codes then it wasn't on.
This means battery wasn't connected.
The display has its own capacitor /internal power supply but will turn off of it does not see the motor electronics.
I suggest using something to tighten the pins on the motor /cable connector before taking to the bike shop.
I must admit giant had better integration and more power but after my first day at the park on this bike I had 11 personal best on strava so although Shimano power is bit great and the bike may have some issues..... It is a very slick handling and very fast bike.
My two cents..........over and out for now

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
Mine has been no problem since that first issue. I do use an electric contact spray cleaner occasionally on the plugs, and that's about it. My buddy bought the same bike and had issues with it right away. The shop just kept swapping in a new battery till it was resolved. Bikes running good now. Maybe it's just a crap shoot on the battery. Mine has never disconnected on fast janky trails. That bike was made for fast jank :)

Wilm

Apr 22, 2022
NZ
Was going to buy a rail but got too good a deal on a Range A1. Bought it instead. Replaced the factory brakes/disks with some Magura MT5's and some MDR-P rotors (I've got a Norco Sight as well and that also felt under-specced in the brake department for my mass).

Only managed a ride home in the rain so far and then discovered the battery clattering. Seems there's an upgraded top mount missing. Once that is sorted I'm looking forward to a decent ride.

Wilm

Apr 22, 2022
NZ
Was going to buy a rail but got too good a deal on a Range A1. Bought it instead. Replaced the factory brakes/disks with some Magura MT5's and some MDR-P rotors (I've got a Norco Sight as well and that also felt under-specced in the brake department for my mass).

Only managed a ride home in the rain so far and then discovered the battery clattering. Seems there's an upgraded top mount missing. Once that is sorted I'm looking forward to a decent ride.
Battery sorted. Tubeless setup up.

couple of decent rides so far. 50km and 1500m of climbing. I managed to use 96% of the battery. I was a bit shattered.
Comfortable ride, surprisingly nimble. Great climber. The downhill portions were something else.

Stoked so far.

HurtLocker

Jun 30, 2022
Australia
Hey there - Just wondering if anyone has the VLT A1? Just have the choice between the A1 (alloy) vs the C2. Just for the life of me can't find the weight on the A1. Can anyone help me out with this? All the bike reviews are with the C2 and have there weight. I know it also depends on the battery.

Thanks in advance

Hurt

Spudley

Dec 16, 2021
New Zealand
Tgey
Hey there - Just wondering if anyone has the VLT A1? Just have the choice between the A1 (alloy) vs the C2. Just for the life of me can't find the weight on the A1. Can anyone help me out with this? All the bike reviews are with the C2 and have there weight. I know it also depends on the battery.

Thanks in advance

Hurt
They are all silly heavy. If you are worried about weight your probably looking at the wrong bike.
This is the bike to buy when the trails demand it.. Full stop.
If your looking for an all rounder then this isn't the one.
I've done lots or riding on my c1 and range /battery life is 30/40 percent worse than my reign e 2022 with same wheels and Tyres and battery capacity only difference being Yamaha motor.
However for high speed antics full of gaps table tops and drops I would not be on anything other than the Norco.its quiet, fast and incredibly stable. Selling the reign as it rides like a cheap bike compared.
I will be buying an orbea rise for my trail bike when the next shipment comes in as they have the lightweight build and great range and playfulness for trail riding that the Norco range lacks. Either this or get another battery two lug with me.
Horses for courses with bikes and I'm afraid even with a motor you are still in the game of e+1. E being current number of bikes...... You always need another one....
😂😂

Last edited:

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Mines completely bricked, won't turn on no matter what, just hangs at the steps screen now.

How do you reset the battery? Hold down that button on the underside of it?

Edit - Fixed it I think, Took battery out and reset it. Held down the small button for 10 seconds. It's turning on again.

Usually I charge it and it comes good, but this time that didn't help.

Last edited:

yomoe

Jun 9, 2020
So Cal

Thanks in advance

Hurt
My Med weighs around 58lbs with the 900 battery. Stock everything

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
Anyone have some range feedback on the 720wh battery?
I am tempted by a really good deal on offer to me at the moment on a Sight C2. Knowing there is feedback these bikes are heavy I am wondering if I can get away with the 720wh and get 40km and 1800m climbing?
I know range tests are subjective, just looking to see others experience on the sight with 720wh to help me decide between saving 700g or buying the 900wh ‘to be safe’

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
I think 1800m out of a 720 is a lot to ask..I guess it depends on your fitness level and riding in lower power modes. I'd recommend the 900 and not worry about battery anxiety.
I don't get that much with my 900 in a Norco range VLT, but I'm in boost 90% of the time.

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
So many factors

What do you weigh
What mode are you riding in
what tyres
what sort of climb is it? a fire road will be a lot more effecient than a technical one.

In saying all that, I'm 100kg and done a few 1400-1500m days easily (720Wh) in Trail mode. Climb was up a road however.

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
I weigh 250lbs, riding in boost almost full time, 2.6 magic marry front, 2.6 eddy current rear, Cush core rear. Climbing is fire road up, single track down...laps
Im definitely not a strong peddler, your results may very.
I do know, having a 900 on big days is a great piece of mind.

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
Thank for the input all.
Bit more context. This would be my first E-bike, so I have no personal experience with range. I weigh 75kg and am of intermediate to high fitness.
We ride 2 day Enduro events and I may not be able to charge between days as some are remote/no power available and I am not keen on running a generator for hours on end to recharge.
Distance is usually about 40km combined over both days. Elevation varies but is around 1000-1600m over the two days. Climbs range from purpose built climb trails to straight up fire roads.
Thanks for the help 🙏🏻

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
The great thing about the Norco is the ability to have multiple batteries of different sizes. Why not get the 720Wh, and if you need more, then also get the 900 or another 720.

I'm 50% sure I'm getting a sight vlt with the 720 soon since I have the 900 already in my Bigfoot. If I go with a different bike like the YT I'm likely going to get two batteries for this reason (camping weekends). Likey don't need two batteries, but range anxiety is real.

KODAKHODAK

May 22, 2023
Australia
Question for Norco VLT owners, I have a 2023 Norco Range VLT C2 on order, the rear Disc Rotor comes standard 200mm has anyone fitted anything bigger with success? Was thinking 220mm rear or have many owners been happy with the 200mm?

Farmernz

Jun 18, 2019
Alexandra
I’m happy with a1 spec brakes , thought I’d upgrade but when bike arrived they feel ok to me so far. Bike is awesome, you’ll enjoy it.

Mow It Down

Nov 3, 2022
Nanaimo
Norco Sight VLT Finally just figured out the power cutting out problem with the magnet plug setup from motor to battery. It got to the point I could not even ride bike any more. Well on the male side on plug there are 2 main contact pins and 4 small pins. Looks like this plug works when plug is put together main pins on battery side stick in to spring loaded holes and make contact. they seemed to work fine, but the 4 smaller ones work the other way. One of the 4 was stuck pushed in, , so I pushed it in a few times until it popped out and stayed. Very small but giving me lots of head acs

mitch160

Apr 30, 2020
Adelaide
Question for Norco VLT owners, I have a 2023 Norco Range VLT C2 on order, the rear Disc Rotor comes standard 200mm has anyone fitted anything bigger with success? Was thinking 220mm rear or have many owners been happy with the 200mm?
Ive been running a 220 magura rotor and adapter for the last year with no issues and i would assume that 223mm rotor would be fine.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I’ve got this problem as well on my A2. There is certainly something wrong with the connection port. Mine will connect and start up if I fiddle around with the connection. The challenge is on really janky fast trails, it will fiddle itself lose and disconnect. When I charge it, I have to fiddle the connection as well to get it to connect. Something is definitely wrong with the port on the battery.
I’ll be taking it in to the shop next week and will update if I learn anything.
Love this bike to pieces, but this is super annoying on a $10k Cdn bike…
I know this is an old post but those issues are likely related to tiny bits of debris on the connections. like tiny rocks or something. You have to pick them out with a needle or something. Then it will connect as usual.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Ive been running a 220 magura rotor and adapter for the last year with no issues and i would assume that 223mm rotor would be fine.
I run a 203mm shimano xtr ice tech rotor in the back and mtx gold pads. That seems to of solved the overheating issue for me. I never notice brake fade but the brake seized up a few times on really long descents when it was stock.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles