Norco Sight VLT

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Is anyone successfully running a chainguide on a pre-2022 Sight VLT?

I’ve been dropping chains, so I purchased an e*thirteen and then a One-up chainguide, both for Shimano Steps, neither seem to fit- too far outboard so the backer plate collides with the chainring.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Is anyone successfully running a chainguide on a pre-2022 Sight VLT?

I’ve been dropping chains, so I purchased an e*thirteen and then a One-up chainguide, both for Shimano Steps, neither seem to fit- too far outboard so the backer plate collides with the chainring.
Could you just space the chainring out a touch? There is such a thing as thin chainring bolt washers that could do that. I wouldnt think that would effect your chainline too adversely. Cheap and ez to try it. Those chainguides should fit any shimano motor setup. I'd keep the one up. I find the e thirteen easily bends and spacers are weak and a pita

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Could you just space the chainring out a touch? There is such a thing as thin chainring bolt washers that could do that. I wouldnt think that would effect your chainline too adversely. Cheap and ez to try it. Those chainguides should fit any shimano motor setup. I'd keep the one up. I find the e thirteen easily bends and spacers are weak and a pita

Hmm, that’s an interesting idea. I think I’d have to space the chainring or spider out (currently a 1-piece e*13 ring) since the chainguide backer plates are hitting the back of the spider/chaining. Still may be worth a shot. I think I’d need 3mm.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Hmm, that’s an interesting idea. I think I’d have to space the chainring or spider out (currently a 1-piece e*13 ring) since the chainguide backer plates are hitting the back of the spider/chaining. Still may be worth a shot. I think I’d need 3mm.
Oh ok, im not sure. Hooefully its possible. I have an e8000 and tge spider is 4 bolt . I havent looked at the ep8 direct mount set up to know definitively. Im not sure if there is any afjustments with direct mount. Sometimes ive seen different top guide mounts or spacers for the top guide. Maybe they ship the guides with the spacers installed on the top guide? Or the top guide could be altered? 1mm here and 1 mm there kind of thing. My e thirteen had spacers for the actual guide/motor mount. You wouldnt think itd be a different guide for e8000 and ep8. I wouldve thought guides would be made to fit both. Maybe one up or e thirteen could answer

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
So confirmed from Norco, the 2019 era sight VLT’s weren’t designed to accept Shimano steps chainguides. Norco suggests a STFU style chainguide (I actually have one I removed, so back on it goes). I ended up trying both the One-up and E*thirteen and neither worked. I think you could budge something together with VHB tape but… I’m not keen on that and will go back to the STFU guide.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Thats strange. I figured they all bolt directly to the motor and the spiders were all the same. Oh well, STFU works well and makes the bike quieter

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There where a few threads about this back in the day, some guy made up one himself, but they way they integrated the motor in the frame on the 1st generation caused the issue

liske

Oct 29, 2021
California
Does anyone know the max chainring size you can run on a 2020 Norco Sight VLT C2? I delimited it and want to use it as a commuter part of the time... Thanks for any help. Looks like a 36 might be fine [it has a 34], but curious if a 38 or 40 would work.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
So my bikes hit roughly 11000ks and today boom. Hoping it's covered by frame warranty

20211120_095838.jpg

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
So my bikes hit roughly 11000ks and today boom. Hoping it's covered by frame warranty

View attachment 76362
Oh yeah that's intense.... yeah to hear news you have been granted warranty would give me a sigh of relief to ay.... my sights pretty much just the frame - motor all parts upgraded.....it's seems hanging onto it as long as possible not a lot of stock available....

Good luck on the warranty mate!

Last edited:
Reactions: iXi

Shortsighted

Aug 11, 2020
Vancouver Canada
Has anyone fitted 2.8s to the 2019. I'm wondering if they will fit. I will be using 35mm rims.
Edit, Looking at the maxxis minnions or high roller. I have the c2 sight

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Has anyone fitted 2.8s to the 2019. I'm wondering if they will fit. I will be using 35mm rims.
Maybe you should mention wich ones? The numbers on sidewalls
are not exact. Many will never reach 2.8 in real life. Last winter i bought
Terrene Cake eater called 2.8 but on my 35mm they were not even close.
Lucky me i had found them used so i resold them with a 10$ profit.

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Just curious wether anyone may know.... can the ep8 motor replace the e8000?.... bolt into the 2019-20 sight frame?....

Last week the e8000 motor casing cracked - breaking off small pieces of alloy casing that has entered inside the motor wedging around the internal magnet- this occured from the crank drive-side and causing the seizing up function to rotate the bb spline and cranks.

The cause of damaging in this region- I can only put this down to over time the many chain dropping incidents!.....

So as momentum goes- unknowingly chain has dropped - still relying on some quick crank turning hard peddling..... To that horrid crunch jam seize not moving.... pulled up to see again chain totally wedged around the motor bb chain pressed firmly pinched in the carbon frame.

Not sure wether this will evaluate to claim warranty.... it was more to find out availability on motors here and then if possible replace- upgrading to a ep8.

Keen to hear back with some thoughts!
Cheers....

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
There is a video on YouTube by epic ebikes and they swap the E8000 out for the ep8. I should mention it's on a meroda e160. The cables aren't interchangeable so you have to run new cables etc. How they got one off Shimano I do not know.

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
There is a video on YouTube by epic ebikes and they swap the E8000 out for the ep8. I should mention it's on a meroda e160. The cables aren't interchangeable so you have to run new cables etc. How they got one off Shimano I do not know.
Thank you iXi..... l have noticed this clip floating about on YouTube, probably a good idea to watch gain a little extra knowledge.... Yeah right if cables are sourced then battery removal, ok no worries.....

So mate were Norco operative onboard with warranty for the rear stays....

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I had a look in the comments and someone asked about the VLT 2020 and the creator replied there was issues with fitment.

Yeah norco came to the party no issues. Even replaced the speed sensor which got chewed when the chain stay broke. Couple of things but, the chian stay is stamped with 29, no idea if that means it was meant for a 29er but works just fine and also its a silver colour not the same as the original paint but doesn't matter as my bikes pretty smashed up with tons of scratches and chunks of paint missing. I also chewed a chunk out of the frame behind the front chain ring when it derailed and got wedged in there. Since I've moved to a 10 speed Shimano chain ring I've only had the chain skip once whereas it was all the time with the original sram 12 speed ring. Seems an oversight they never provisioned a chain guard or one to retro fit.

20211204_083456.jpg

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Please let us know if Shimano or the bike manufacturer make it right for you.
I hope you are back riding ASAP.
Hey 1oldfart.... Thanks for standing in supporting your goodwill mate!.... Yeah been riding mtb for 20 yrs.... in all honesty what spins me out in a few many ways.... be it blessed granted with the opportunity of ebike motors - parts gear..... To then holding out on parts delays.... leading up to wether purchasing a second hand non E pushy.... an idea thats ok yeah.... but ok is about the extent.
Keep you posted mate! 👊

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
I had a look in the comments and someone asked about the VLT 2020 and the creator replied there was issues with fitment.

Yeah norco came to the party no issues. Even replaced the speed sensor which got chewed when the chain stay broke. Couple of things but, the chian stay is stamped with 29, no idea if that means it was meant for a 29er but works just fine and also its a silver colour not the same as the original paint but doesn't matter as my bikes pretty smashed up with tons of scratches and chunks of paint missing. I also chewed a chunk out of the frame behind the front chain ring when it derailed and got wedged in there. Since I've moved to a 10 speed Shimano chain ring I've only had the chain skip once whereas it was all the time with the original sram 12 speed ring. Seems an oversight they never provisioned a chain guard or one to retro fit.

View attachment 81391
Thanks, yeah probably keep to the e8000.... gotta be at least one dust covered e8000 species hanging on a shelf somewhere 😳

Nice shiny clean stays mate!..... Way to go!.... Norco discarded the previous touch up paint colour charts.... but hey all looking good and mighty for years ashred!!!!

With some suspension mods upgrades the sight is definitely capable as goher all rounder..... why simple adaptation integration of frame ports ready for chain device left off the draw plan?.... 🤓 Obviously addressed on the redesigned new model plan...

Plan to locate this rare endangered e8000 species somewhere around the traps in Oz....✌️🤠

Reactions: iXi

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Random update on my 2019 Sight VLT:
We got a good bit of dry snow and I had several really fun rides in 4-6” deep powder! Then hung the bike up for a bit and the following rides were an error code horror show. My bike has been preciously prone to error codes during the wet seasons.

I brought this up with a local shop friend who also has a Norco VLT. He said it’s to be expected, and talked me through the basics of pulling the motor and wiring harness. Says he does it 1-2x a year, sometimes applies tape to the seams between the frame and motor to keep moisture out. Basically, flip the biker over, remove the cranks & chainring (special shimano lock ring tool required), remove the bash guard & motor bolts, then remove the motor and wirting harness (which uses various click-fit and bayonet wiring connections). There’s only 3-4 connections, including the battery which is worth doing. Once disassembled, spray all electrical connections with contact cleaner. Dab some dialectric grease around the Base of the fittings before re-assembling.

Altogether it took maybe :40 and wasn’t really any more difficult than replacing the cranks/BB on a normal bike. Hope this saves somebody some headaches!

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
Random update on my 2019 Sight VLT:
We got a good bit of dry snow and I had several really fun rides in 4-6” deep powder! Then hung the bike up for a bit and the following rides were an error code horror show. My bike has been preciously prone to error codes during the wet seasons.

I brought this up with a local shop friend who also has a Norco VLT. He said it’s to be expected, and talked me through the basics of pulling the motor and wiring harness. Says he does it 1-2x a year, sometimes applies tape to the seams between the frame and motor to keep moisture out. Basically, flip the biker over, remove the cranks & chainring (special shimano lock ring tool required), remove the bash guard & motor bolts, then remove the motor and wirting harness (which uses various click-fit and bayonet wiring connections). There’s only 3-4 connections, including the battery which is worth doing. Once disassembled, spray all electrical connections with contact cleaner. Dab some dialectric grease around the Base of the fittings before re-assembling.

Altogether it took maybe :40 and wasn’t really any more difficult than replacing the cranks/BB on a normal bike. Hope this saves somebody some headaches!
Just curious did this fix it? I have experienced this before and although haven't used the dialectric grease have had the problems rear their head again. I'm waiting on a new wiring harness now. Will try the grease and contact cleaner see how I go!

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Just curious did this fix it?

too soon to say I think, I’ve only test ridden around the neighborhood and not crossed any rivers with it yet! But so far so good. I had noticed the problems occur when I’ve got the bike running hot- long steep climbs etc.

I hear that replacing the wiring harness isn’t usually required but I now have a back up just in case. There’s not much sealing so the idea of adding something is intriguing.

LoBomber

Jun 4, 2021
Bay Area
Is it possible to upgrade the battery on E7000 with the 500W battery? Looking to maybe get the larger battery if thats even possible.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles