Norco Sight VLT

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
Have you checked the "Battery Health" in an app like ST Unlocker? This should show you if you've had any significant battery degradation.

For comparison my Battery Health is 99% after approximately 650miles of use in about 3.5 months of use.
Cheers, gave this a try after seeing your post, it says 99% health too, but practical experience says that isn't accurate, the bike shop has a diagnostic tool apparently so I'll see how that goes.

mrwooster

Jun 8, 2020
Canada
Just hit 1000km on my Sight VLT C1 :D

20200928_160345.jpg
20200928_160402.jpg

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
G'day new here, but been checking in on this web with all its posts for a while now, thank you EMTB and all fellow Eeeebmtbers!

Yeah so owned a sight for a year or so... basically changed out the suspension fitted with a rear coil then matched the feel with a smashpot coil up front in the pike, buttery smooth and feels balanced.... Keen to try more travel a mate then sold me a set of lyric at 170 mm.... l found this raised height and extra travel all confident inspiring, pushing up and over things then landings felt great to.

Now the Mullet set up has me intrigued, l get the gist to how the mullet allows good roll over and that with pace and the nice railing the steering is not displaced on the 27.5 rear and the Norcos vlt short cs.... but l have little knowledge to go by for how this set up expresses itself as a sight vlt????

Someone out their made this mod? Keen to hear along the ideas that were used to mod out their vlt if someone has this rocking, which 29er fork and which offset was used...

Many thanks cheers!

Last edited:

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
G'day new here, but been checking in on this web with all its posts for a while now, thank you EMTB and all fellow Eeeebmtbers!

Yeah so owned a sight for a year or so... basically changed out the suspension fitted with a rear coil then matched the feel with a smashpot coil up front in the pike, buttery smooth and feels balanced.... Keen to try more travel a mate then sold me a set of lyric at 170 mm.... l found this raised height and extra travel all confident inspiring, pushing up and over things then landings felt great to.

Now the Mullet set up has me intrigued, l get the gist to how the mullet allows good roll over and that with pace and the nice railing the steering is not displaced on the 27.5 rear and the Norcos vlt short cs.... but l have little knowledge to go by for how this set up expresses itself as a sight vlt????

Someone out their made this mod? Keen to hear along the ideas that were used to mod out their vlt if someone has this rocking, which 29er fork and which offset was used...

Many thanks cheers!
I owned a vlt sight in the past and made it a mullet. easy as putting a lyrik 170 29er fork on. I think it was 44mm offset. really made the bike roll over obstacles better. I also put a fox dhx2 coil on the rear. I found the suspension very linear and blew thru travel. I fixed it by buying a mrp progressive coil. great b8ke but sold it for a specialized levo sl

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
I owned a vlt sight in the past and made it a mullet. easy as putting a lyrik 170 29er fork on. I think it was 44mm offset. really made the bike roll over obstacles better. I also put a fox dhx2 coil on the rear. I found the suspension very linear and blew thru travel. I fixed it by buying a mrp progressive coil. great b8ke but sold it for a specialized levo sl
Etacata hey mate, appreciate hearing back with your experiences modding the mullet with your previous vlt... yeah l recon l read up on your post regarding the dhx2 a while back, them with some researching further on the discovery the sights liner curve design suited a air shock.... this had me stumped a little on choice for a coil trunnion mounted shock at that time, l decision to spend an extra and bolt on a worked out specific sight tune with EXT...

Mate by the sounds with the 29 lyric and possible 44mm off set with 170mm of travel, gives to a good balance, slacker ha a raised bb.... l had surmised for a travel setting at 160mm but hey!.... Send it 170mm!

Out of interest how you enjoying the levo sl mate????.. with so many sweet e rigs out right now..... when the time arises a longer travel rig set up appeals.

Cheers!

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Etacata hey mate, appreciate hearing back with your experiences modding the mullet with your previous vlt... yeah l recon l read up on your post regarding the dhx2 a while back, them with some researching further on the discovery the sights liner curve design suited a air shock.... this had me stumped a little on choice for a coil trunnion mounted shock at that time, l decision to spend an extra and bolt on a worked out specific sight tune with EXT...

Mate by the sounds with the 29 lyric and possible 44mm off set with 170mm of travel, gives to a good balance, slacker ha a raised bb.... l had surmised for a travel setting at 160mm but hey!.... Send it 170mm!

Out of interest how you enjoying the levo sl mate????.. with so many sweet e rigs out right now..... when the time arises a longer travel rig set up appeals.

Cheers!
the SL is an amazing bike. I really enjoy the 42lb weight. rides very much like a regular bike. its a bit on the light side for the dh duties im putting it thru. I look forward to spec putting out a longer travel sl version next year.

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
the SL is an amazing bike. I really enjoy the 42lb weight. rides very much like a regular bike. its a bit on the light side for the dh duties im putting it thru. I look forward to spec putting out a longer travel sl version next year.
Yeah nice, l have only ever heard on how SL preforms so well... to top it of fun and bonus response with a regular bike... the LT version would be a nice catch!.... Look forward to this ones reviews next yeah!
Thanks for sharing...

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Great info here, thanks everyone for posting. Back in Oct I picked up a sight VLT 27.5 with a pro build (literally)- XTR drivetrain, Saint Brakes, Fox factory 36 and Float x2.

Pretty quick I made some changes. Using some VHB tape and a stainless steel electrical switch cover, I was able to get a water bottle cage on to the down tube. I added a bell. Next, a 180mm dropper post. The head angle (66) was steeper than I was used to, so I put a -1 degree angle set on and then found a deal on a 180mm Fox 38.

I’ve had some really fun adventures on the bike and I love it so much! I feel really lucky to have come across a deal on a dream bike.

I do have a question for those who have hit E020 or E010 codes. My first ride I had both, my local shop set things straight with a firmware update and cleaning the terminals etc. Since then I had maybe a dozen great rides and careful washes afterwards, no fuss. But last ride I got both codes again- 2x early on in the ride and again 2/3 of the way through a 30km/1200m vert ride. I’m also wondering if whatever caused the error codes may have also drained my battery a bit prematurely.

So....
  • I have read about people cleaning their battery/motor terminals and applying dielectric grease to them, would this prevent these codes? Maybe I washed too aggressively?
  • Is there a system reset I should perform? I read here to hold the power button down for 20 seconds after powering off
  • Or should I look into replacing that smaller Norco wiring harness?

Maybe I’m worrying about nothing and the bike will work great next ride. Having to take three 1-minute breaks to restart & clear the error codes was not really that big of a deal. Being old-school I just like to be self-sufficient and avoid shop visits.

Cheers and TIA for your advice.

Last edited:

Steven_Bikes

Mar 20, 2018
San Diego, CA
I’ve got just under 1,100 miles on my Sight VLT 29er C3 with no issues. So far I’ve been pretty happy with this E7000 motor. Was worried it wouldn’t have enough grunt for the climbs but I’ve had no problems keeping up with my friends on their 2020 Levo’s, Orbea Wild FS (Bosch CX) and Giant ETrance (Yamaha).

175CEF11-60BA-4702-BCF2-FD2C25F8DBB7.jpeg

028C21A3-550D-4EA2-BD7E-2A8D47D00083.jpeg

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
I’ve got just under 1,100 miles on my Sight VLT 29er C3 with no issues. So far I’ve been pretty happy with this E7000 motor. Was worried it wouldn’t have enough grunt for the climbs but I’ve had no problems keeping up with my friends on their 2020 Levo’s, Orbea Wild FS (Bosch CX) and Giant ETrance (Yamaha).

View attachment 51181

View attachment 51182
looks like u put a progressive coil on. that's what I did on my vlt. made it much better

Steven_Bikes

Mar 20, 2018
San Diego, CA
Sweet bike, love the color scheme! Hey do I see you’ve chucked the shimano display and are using a Garmin instead?
Sharp eye on spotting that and thanks I am happy with how this build came out! I was trying to get the C2 build but unfortunately couldn’t find any in stock for my size so I went with the C3 build. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the E7000 motor has been running and I haven’t had an issue keeping up with my buddies on their Bosch, Brose and Yamaha powered bikes.

I removed the Shimano display because it didn’t really give me any real useful info like actual battery percentage and could only display 1 dataset at a time like speed or cadence but not both. I purchased a Shimano EW-EN100 which allowed me to receive all the Shimano info on my garmin like actual battery percentages instead of just showing me 5 bars, power modes along with power assistance level in each mode, cadence and all my other info like speed, elevation, distance, heart rate and a bunch more.
I also replaced my stock speed sensor that uses the spoke magnet with the Shimano SM-DUE11 which can be placed close to the axle and runs off of a brake disc rotor magnet. Much cleaner and I don’t have to worry about my magnet falling off.

RSVB4

Apr 27, 2020
Ca
Sharp eye on spotting that and thanks I am happy with how this build came out! I was trying to get the C2 build but unfortunately couldn’t find any in stock for my size so I went with the C3 build. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the E7000 motor has been running and I haven’t had an issue keeping up with my buddies on their Bosch, Brose and Yamaha powered bikes.

I removed the Shimano display because it didn’t really give me any real useful info like actual battery percentage and could only display 1 dataset at a time like speed or cadence but not both. I purchased a Shimano EW-EN100 which allowed me to receive all the Shimano info on my garmin like actual battery percentages instead of just showing me 5 bars, power modes along with power assistance level in each mode, cadence and all my other info like speed, elevation, distance, heart rate and a bunch more.
I also replaced my stock speed sensor that uses the spoke magnet with the Shimano SM-DUE11 which can be placed close to the axle and runs off of a brake disc rotor magnet. Much cleaner and I don’t have to worry about my magnet falling off.
so you are having no issues with the 7000? Looking to get SC BULLIT but only thing available is lowest spec with the e7000. No one near me has one and worried the torque wouldn’t be enough for such a big bike and my weight of 235.

Steven_Bikes

Mar 20, 2018
San Diego, CA
so you are having no issues with the 7000? Looking to get SC BULLIT but only thing available is lowest spec with the e7000. No one near me has one and worried the torque wouldn’t be enough for such a big bike and my weight of 235.
I’m 165lb geared up so that’s a 70lb difference from you which could make a difference. Also, with the choice being between the E7000 and the EP8 I would personally find a way to get the EP8 even if it means waiting longer for it. The difference between the E7000 and the E8000 on the Norco isn’t that big and the E7000 is actually a newer motor but if you have to choose between the E7000 and EP8 then the difference in power becomes greater. The E7000 has 60nm of torque, the EP8 has 85nm which is about 40% more. That’s huge!

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I’m 165lb geared up so that’s a 70lb difference from you which could make a difference. Also, with the choice being between the E7000 and the EP8 I would personally find a way to get the EP8 even if it means waiting longer for it. The difference between the E7000 and the E8000 on the Norco isn’t that big and the E7000 is actually a newer motor but if you have to choose between the E7000 and EP8 then the difference in power becomes greater. The E7000 has 60nm of torque, the EP8 has 85nm which is about 40% more. That’s huge!

I still can't believe Santa Cruz put the E7000 in the new Bullit, in Canada the base model Bullit retails for $10,000. It's almost a slap in the face to spend that kind of money on a ebike that comes with a E7000 motor. I don't understand why they could just have spec'd lower end parts to hit that price point, and then the customer can upgrade those components later down the road. You can't really upgrade the motor.

Steven_Bikes

Mar 20, 2018
San Diego, CA
I still can't believe Santa Cruz put the E7000 in the new Bullit, in Canada the base model Bullit retails for $10,000. It's almost a slap in the face to spend that kind of money on a ebike that comes with a E7000 motor. I don't understand why they could just have spec'd lower end parts to hit that price point, and then the customer can upgrade those components later down the road. You can't really upgrade the motor.
Agreed, that’s a lot of money for a base model. I’m sure people will still buy it not knowing the difference (new to ebikes and mtn biking in general) but just want to have a Santa Cruz.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa

Very interesting, thanks for the info! May I ask what model Garmin it is? I’m seeing lots of deals on Edge 520s & 530s.

Also good news on my bike, I got a few laps in today and had no error codes. I’m thinking last ride was an outlier and probably the result of overzealous hosing.

Steven_Bikes

Mar 20, 2018
San Diego, CA
Very interesting, thanks for the info! May I ask what model Garmin it is? I’m seeing lots of deals on Edge 520s & 530s.

Also good news on my bike, I got a few laps in today and had no error codes. I’m thinking last ride was an outlier and probably the result of overzealous hosing.
You’ll need the Edge 530 or higher. The 520 doesn’t work.

Jul 17, 2019
UK
Hey Guys
In the process of replacing all the bearings on my VLT 2. When I removed the upper rocker link to do the 6 bearings the link came away in 2 parts. As anyone else had this happen ? Looking at the both parts it seems they were glued together with a thin plastic gasket between the 2 parts, which has appeared to be worn out. Any comments/advice much appropriated.
Cheers in Advance

D72B65B3-4F26-4EB2-A4A9-663C6F752C2A.jpeg

Last edited:

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I'm at 8000ks on my second motor, first one lasted 1700ks. Just had it reviewed by Shimano and they said motor is fine, it's now out of warranty. As for the bike I've had to replace some linkage bearings and other stuff due to wear and tear but touch wood the frame has held up well.

pamartia

Jun 25, 2020
Walnut Creek, California
Hi everyone,

My wife's 2020 Norco Sight VLT 29 A1 just got 2000 miles over 13 months.
The Motor/battery has been flawless, way more reliable than my Trek Rail 7
We swapped the SX drivetrain for Shimano SLX after 6 months, no problems after that.
The Shimano "unbranded" Deore brake levers failed, but they replace for XT under warranty.

Just replaced the Air Spring on the Yari and the bike feels way better already
Thinking in a Coil shock now, so I came to the forum to see what you have done and make my report

Cheers from California

Last edited:

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Hi everyone,

My wife's Norco Sight VLT A1 just got 2000 miles over 13 months.
The Motor/battery has been flawless, way more reliable than my Trek Rail 7
We swapped the SX drivetrain for Shimano SLX after 6 months, no problems after that.
The Shimano "unbranded" Deore brake levers failed, but they replace for XT under warranty.

Just replaced the Air Spring on the Yari and the bike feels way better already
Thinking in a Coil shock now, so I came to the forum to see what you have done and make my report

Cheers from California
I owned a 1st edition vlt 1 a few years back. Great bike! I put a fox dhx coil on it and found the bikes suspension was not very progressive and would blow through it travel even with the heaviest spring for my 190lbs. Someone on this forum suggested trying a mrp progressive coil and I got one the went to 650lb and it was all good from there on out! The mrp coil is long and it was a tight squeeze to get it on the dhx shock. Took a vice and heavy duty zip ties to get it on. Cheers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles