New YT Decoy Questions

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
I placed my order for a 2020 Decoy base, now I'm wondering what I can do while I await delivery. I have pedals ordered, I'm contemplating an invis-a-shield kit, but have no clue what app I should download for the bike. (Android)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
I would get a tire insert for the rear tire like a Cushcore or Vittoria Airliner. It protects the rear wheel from dings but also reduces the air volume a bit so the bike won’t bounce around too much on the rowdy stuff. It makes my 2.8” tire feel more like a 2.5” tire but you retain all the traction. My BB measured 338mm with a 170mm fork up front. It’s pretty damn low so mabe some crank boots or possibly shorter 155mm Miranda cranks (33-36 Euros) is a good idea depending on your trails.
Paint protection is a must. I just used cheap 2” and 4” wide helicopter tape and cut it to size. Cheap and took under an hour. If it gets scratched or starts peeling, it takes a couple minutes to peel and reapply.
Last thing is to check your suspension and get it dialed. My Decoy Base came with a Yari fork and 4 volume spacers installed which is way too much. It works better with 1 or zero IMO.
The shimano app is finicky. The motor is set by default to eco Low, trail Low, Boost High. I Changed mine to eco high, trail medium, and boost high. You will suffer in Eco Low, its worse than an acoustic bike

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
I would get a tire insert for the rear tire like a Cushcore or Vittoria Airliner. It protects the rear wheel from dings but also reduces the air volume a bit so the bike won’t bounce around too much on the rowdy stuff. It makes my 2.8” tire feel more like a 2.5” tire but you retain all the traction. My BB measured 338mm with a 170mm fork up front. It’s pretty damn low so mabe some crank boots or possibly shorter 155mm Miranda cranks (33-36 Euros) is a good idea depending on your trails.
Paint protection is a must. I just used cheap 2” and 4” wide helicopter tape and cut it to size. Cheap and took under an hour. If it gets scratched or starts peeling, it takes a couple minutes to peel and reapply.
Last thing is to check your suspension and get it dialed. My Decoy Base came with a Yari fork and 4 volume spacers installed which is way too much. It works better with 1 or zero IMO.
The shimano app is finicky. The motor is set by default to eco Low, trail Low, Boost High. I Changed mine to eco high, trail medium, and boost high. You will suffer in Eco Low, its worse than an acoustic bike

Where all do you apply the tape? I thought about buying a frame protection kit, but the price after buying the bike and some accessories was a little high.

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
Amazon sells them pretty cheap
I bought a roll of tape to apply in all the spots that will get the most abuse. Plus for $15, I got enough to do my old bike and my daughter's bike too.

I was referring to the precut kits that are priced in the $100's.

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
I placed my order for a 2020 Decoy base, now I'm wondering what I can do while I await delivery. I have pedals ordered, I'm contemplating an invis-a-shield kit, but have no clue what app I should download for the bike. (Android)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I just ordered my Decoy yesterday and contemplating the sizing but first question. Does it come with pedals ?? I am 5'10 inches and ordered the Large. What is your size and what bike did you get ?

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
I just ordered my Decoy yesterday and contemplating the sizing but first question. Does it come with pedals ?? I am 5'10 inches and ordered the Large. What is your size and what bike did you get ?

I can't remember if mine did come with pedals or not,. Think it might of been some cheap plastic ones. Most direct consumer bike brands you always have to buy pedals.

I'm 5'11 and ride a large.

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
I can't remember if mine did come with pedals or not,. Think it might of been some cheap plastic ones. Most direct consumer bike brands you always have to buy pedals.

I'm 5'11 and ride a large.
Okay great.... I guess I will be fine with a large at 5'10.7 ... Still going to head to OC and ride the large and xl. Any recs on good flats ? Its been a while since I bought myself a bike or bike parts. Lol

Sam233

Jul 19, 2020
Germany
Be careful with new Parts on E-Bikes. Better ask YT first. If you change Parts, like Brakes, in Germany they say no way. Even other tire brands is not allowed

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
I've changed the fork, shock and brakes. It did say changing the shock voids warranty, I am not that bothered just keep everything you take off. If you need to send the bike back just put all the old stuff back on.

rondre3000

Jun 15, 2021
San Diego
Brake change effects the YT guarantee. I was shocked after i send the bike with other brakes installed to YT. Maybe it depends on the law where you live. Pedals i dont know

Not sure where you're from, but I have a hard time believing something like a frame warranty would be disputed because you changed the brakes off your bike. Please let us know your source for brake changes effecting the YT guarantee?

Sam233

Jul 19, 2020
Germany
Not sure where you're from, but I have a hard time believing something like a frame warranty would be disputed because you changed the brakes off your bike. Please let us know your source for brake changes effecting the YT guarantee?

I was told to swap to orignal parts before i send it in plus he told me i got problems with insurance in case of an accident. An after i asked witch parts im allowed to swap via mail he send me this link (german): https://www.zedler.de/files/kunde/n...teiletausch_E-Bike_25_Stand-08-05-2018_DE.pdf

But good point about the frame, maybe it effects only the gurantee of the brakes. I have to clear it out

Last edited:

rondre3000

Jun 15, 2021
San Diego
I was told to swap to orignal parts before i send it in plus he told me i got problems with insurance in case of an accident. An after i asked witch parts im allowed to swap via mail he send me this link (german): https://www.zedler.de/files/kunde/n...teiletausch_E-Bike_25_Stand-08-05-2018_DE.pdf

But good point about the frame, maybe it effects only the gurantee of the brakes. I have to clear it out

Ahhh OK. I'm from the US so it may be different in other countries. Hope it all works out for you. Cheers!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles