YT Decoy 29 (Mk2) questions

rogerkamp8817

Mar 21, 2022
Orange County, CA
I picked up a 2021 YT Decoy 29 Core 4 (size large) and have a few questions as a new owner. I've seen some of these items mentioned but still a bit fuzzy on them:

1) I read to not spray too much water towards the top of the battery and the stem. Do I smear de-electric grease directly onto the contacts near the top of the battery to further protect the bike from moisture? Any more insight on how to moisture proof the essential areas is much appreciated.

2) Besides being careful about washing it like you would with a regular bike (i.e., not directly pressure washing the bottom bracket, hubs/axles ), are there any other locations I should be careful about not spraying too much water?

3) Besides the EP8 motor, are there differences in the geometry and features between this bike (2021+ 29'ner "mk2") vs the pre 2021 Decoy's? Hard to find much info directly comparing the newer Decoy frame and the older Decoy frame, but perhaps its because they are identical?

4) This core 4 version comes with a carbon rear triangle. I read maybe the carbon rear triangle limits which size shocks can be installed. Will 230x65mm shock not work on this bike?

5) I may replace the Fox Factory DPS shock (230x60) with a coil shock (230x65?). Any suggestions?

6) What is the max oneup dropper size this L frame can fit? It came with 150mm YT postman but thinking I need at least 170-180mm.

7) Are there 155mm or 160mm crank arms I should search for (brand/model) ? The 165mm it came with is striking a bit more than I'd like right now.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Hi,

1 and 2:Ive cleaned my bike with water for 2 years and 3000km now and no electric issues at all. I use some electric contact spray once in a while in all the connectors.
The main pivot is subject to creaking because of dirt and water I need to disassemble clean and regrease it quite often. I may find a better mudguard soon to try to protect the area.

3:same frame I think

4 and 5: indeed the rear triangle would come dangerously close to the seat tube with a 230x65mm in the low setting. Seems okay on high but I would recommend to stick to the original stroke or maybe 62.5mm unless you don’t use the low position.
moreover I find that the bike already low and with the increased travel you might end with an even lower BB at sag. Unless you run a higher spring rate but then the frame is very progressive and I am not sure you will use all the travel anyway…

I’ve good experience with the bomber CR but depends how and where you ride the DPS is not necessary a bad shock and keep the weight low (if weight maters).
I have recently put my dpx2 back after sending my bomber in warranty and I enjoyed the pop actually.

7: Miranda has some (very) short cranks for the Shimano motors. Have heard mixed experiences about it though some people seem to say they might be a little bit fragile.

rogerkamp8817

Mar 21, 2022
Orange County, CA
Thanks that is very helpful.

For the coil, what spring weight do you guys suggest I look at to begin with for this bike? I'm 165 lbs loaded and looking for ~25-30% sag.

Last edited:

Decoy_29

Feb 6, 2022
Switzerland
I have a Decoy pro 29 with a Dhx2 230x65mm shock and the fork traveled to 170mm. 65mm stroke is only possible in the high setting. For me it's perfect.
DSC_2683.JPG

rogerkamp8817

Mar 21, 2022
Orange County, CA
What is your weight & what spring rate did you get for your dhx2 230x65mm?

I've been riding the flip chip in low setting, but I keep banging pedals and today, hit the crank on a rock I normally don't have issues with. Just switched the flip chip to high setting tonight and will see if I like it more. I suspect I will.

This core 4 came with a fox 36e, which I read may have fox 34 internals?? What air shift I do get to increase this fork's travel to 160mm?

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
I am exactly the same weight as you and on a 230x65mm I need a 350 spring to hit exactly 30% sag. I have also tried 400 and 425 the latest one being too stiff for me. I should have bought a Sprindex instead of 3 different springs I regret and you should consider it if you are going to run a coil shock.

The Fox 36ebike has the 34 internals (at least in 2020). Best way to check is to deflate the air spring and unscrew the cap, if the tokens are green it is the 34 airshaft inside.
The complete air shaft for the 34 go only to 160mm but the shaft itself is the same for the 34 and the 36 so it is possible to get more than 160mm with some work. It probably voids the warranty though and would be strongly discouraged by Fox...

rogerkamp8817

Mar 21, 2022
Orange County, CA
For the fork, I haven't changed anything out yet but after scanning the QR code and sending over info to Fox, the 160mm damper I'd need is 820-02-572-KIT.

For the shock, I found a new take off '22 Fox DHX2. I'm using a 390-440 sprindex spring, set to 390 and Fox's recommended settings. The improvement is as good as everyone is saying, very impressed.

Mouse Jockey

Feb 28, 2022
San Diego
I called YT a few weeks ago and asked about the dropper post. They said a 180mm will fit. I have the MX Core 4 version not the the 29er.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
The 165mm it came with is striking a bit more than I'd like right now.
Yes, that seems to be a common phenomenon with those new to ebikes; it was for me. Lots of discussion here. I still have 165 and rarely strike now - I'm guessing just the rare occurrence like I used to with my analogue bike. I would suggest staying with your cranks and you adjust - we are capable of this. Shorter cranks also means less torque input by us. Probably not an issue if you're going to ride everywhere in boost - I ride a modified eco (lower than standard) in steep country.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles