new Trek Rail 9.7 - several cosmetic issues

toreador

Apr 21, 2020
Berlin
After a long time of searching, comparing and evaluating, I bought a Trek Rail 9.7 online, which is an exhibition model and therefore had a decent discount.
After receiving it, I noticed several flaws and I would like to know if they can be completely fixed.

The main problem concerns the battery, it is not quite straight, so that it is not level with the frame in the lower part, but protrudes a bit further. Thereby, also the gap at the upper and lower edge between battery and frame is considerably different.

The lock on the other side of the frame is not at all in the middle of the round recess in the frame, which could provoke scratching of the paint when using the key.

The charging socket is missing a screw and is not placed straight in the recess of the frame.

Finally - but this point was actually known to me before I bought the bike - the paint comes off at the lower shock mount. It looks as if the paint is lifting.

In your opinion, can the battery problem (it just bothers me optically) be corrected? Have you ever seen anything like this before? It looks like you can loosen the battery mounts inside the frame, but is there really enough room to adjust it? And if so, how do you align both sides exactly the same, so that no unnecessary tensions are created when inserting the battery?
The placement of the keyhole is also controlled by the upper mount. In order to correct this, the entire upper mount would have to be moved further down towards the bottom bracket. This does not seem possible to me.

Unfortunately I don't have a Trek certified workshop nearby. So I would like to have your evaluation. If this could not be corrected, I would send the bike back, because I would not accept these flaws, especially regarding the value of the bike.

By the way, what should the scope of delivery actually look like?
In my case, it was just the charger, nothing else. No documentation and no accessories.
According to the Trek website, there should have been some cheap pedals, tubeless valves and sealing milk and tubeless rim tape, right?

02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is the mount in the battery compartment adjustable? It is on most bikes so you can get the "grip" on the battery right, might be able to align it better.

Other issues I would take up with dealer, ones if they are to do with how bike was out together in shop rather than in factory?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
To be fair if you had a good discount these are minor issues.
Yes the battery can adjusted.
Mine is quite flush, but my mates sticks out about 5 mm.
The missing screw in the charge port can be added.
By the looks of it, I'd say the shock mounting isn't a paint issue but at some time the bike has had the shock removed and the bolt has scuffed the frame.
I know we all want our new purchase to be perfect, but after your first ride chances are you'll get a mark on it any way.
When I got mine I spent all night polishing it and wrapping it, then crashed on my first ride and scuffed the bars and swing arm!!

Kodo28

Mar 13, 2020
FRANCE
That paint damage could have been eventually a warranty claim at least on a non exhibition model. As it is not a crash damage or mishandled damage. For the others small concerns it can be easily fixed.

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Mine stuck out like that as well when I went for ride the bike kept turning off when hitting bumps I adjusted the 2 bolts that hold the top part of battery see my post on here it's a common thing once adjusted it hasn't played up since and cover fits nice and close to frame

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had a look today and my battery lock is very off centre and there's damage to the paintwork. :cry:

toreador

Apr 21, 2020
Berlin
...see my post on here it's a common thing once adjusted it hasn't played up since and cover fits nice and close to frame

Thank you for the advice, MsO!
I just read your thread. You didn't move the upper battery position further towards the bottom bracket, did you?
Do you know how to do that?

I had a look today and my battery lock is very off centre and there's damage to the paintwork. :cry:

I'm sorry to hear that. It is sad that this poor built quality seems to be quite common.
But beware, there are people around here who seem to be completely uncritical and at best have mockery for it...

I talked to my dealer today about this and he seriously wanted me to know that all the Rails they have would look like this and the battery would not hold properly if I'd adjust it to be perfectly aligned. :rolleyes:

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
I just moved the locking part 2 screws where the key goes into the lock it is not centre but I go careful with key locking and unlocking but I do have to press the battery in tight for the key to turn into the lock position I've done over 300 miles now with no problems at all

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
When I went to pick up my new Rail it had a big paint chip near the shock mount and a couple of smaller ones on the downtube.
I declined it.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I noticed a few cosmetic marks on my 9.9 when applying the invisiframe. Bike had just come straight home (wrapped in blankets), so no way I caused them.

The bike shop offered to order a full replacement bike in - even though I’d ridden it several times before showing them the photos.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles