New Trance X E+ 3 owner with questions

rjd

Apr 28, 2024
NZ/Chc
Hey all got a shiny new ride, first eBike and have some questions

Is the Giant app really that bad? What am I best using it for? Just setting power levels? I tried recording some rides and it never works I assume because it disconnects ( phone in backpack)

Can I use giants ebike lights with it? I Dont see any mention specifically but also it seems there may be a power feed inside somewhere (top tube?)?

Oh - Tires, pressure? Not checked but no idea what it should be. Also - convert to tubeless? I think I have all I need.

Any other tips? had a couple rides now and the auto power setting seems ok if a little random when its applying power

GL9ilB4aoAAJMjE.jpg

Last edited:

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hey all got a shiny new ride, first eBike and have some questions

Is the Giant app really that bad? What am I best using it for? Just setting power levels? I tried recording some rides and it never works I assume because it disconnects ( phone in backpack)

Can I use giants ebike lights with it? I Dont see any mention specifically but also it seems there may be a power feed inside somewhere (top tube?)?

Oh - Tires, pressure? Not checked but no idea what it should be. Also - convert to tubeless? I think I have all I need.

Any other tips? had a couple rides now and the auto power setting seems ok if a little random when its applying power

View attachment 139426
Hi, and welcome. Excellent choice of bike 👍.. So to answer your questions. There’s nothing wrong with the Giant app, but I only use it for setup, updates and mileage history. I use third party apps ( Komoot and apple) for recording rides and data as I find these more useful.
You can use Giants lights but there are better options on the market such as Magicshine etc that have wiring kits that hard wire into the bikes loom. There is a plug in the top tube for this if required however there are also some very good battery powered options on the market that are simple to install.
Tyres are subject to terrain and riding style, best to experiment, but around 20 psi to start is a good base.
Best tip is ride the hell out of it 😝
Check it over with the spanner’s for a few weeks as stuff comes loose when there new. Once done there ok, particularly shock linkage. Apart from that, lube the chain, quit your job and start saving for your next bike, 😂😂, enjoy, you’ve done well mate.

P.s Don’t bother with the auto power option, man knows best when it comes to this. It’s often to much assist.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjd

rjd

Apr 28, 2024
NZ/Chc
Oh it's not my first bike just the first ebike and if I quit my job there won't be another haha

Krrr

I took a chance 5 years ago on an Electric Mountain Bike. My first Mountain Bike. Love it with this minor problem.
Yesterday I traveled 30 miles to hit a trail. Got there and setup up Giant App. But now the Giant App has an update that needs password verification, 30 miles from home. That is the last straw. Good luck with this app. I have had my Trance for 5 years, the app worked less than 2/3 that time. I'll try Komoot. Love the bike. 2020 Trance E+1 Pro.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Congratulations on the new ride & welcome to a wealth of info here!
I use the Giant Ride app to setup assistance levels, the app has been spotty when first released but getting better with time. For some reason, the iOS version seemed less buggy than Android, maybe this is a thing of the past.
I use “LightBlue” for Battery % when out of cellular coverage, and Apple Workouts for tracking distance, speed and Heart Rate. I don’t use Smart Assist, I find modes 2,3 &4 more predictable and mostly use these.
Enjoy! 😎

rjd

Apr 28, 2024
NZ/Chc
Thanks all! Had a look at Komoot , interesting may just go with strava for now or trailforks.

So the giant app you can customize each level of power?

Plus I should go tubeless?

rjd

Apr 28, 2024
NZ/Chc
Oh how long does the 750wh battery take to charge?

I could just stick it on overnight but would be cool to know

rjd

Apr 28, 2024
NZ/Chc
Best tip is ride the hell out of it 😝
Check it over with the spanner’s for a few weeks as stuff comes loose when there new.

Well that's prophetic haha this came loose today, hand tightened on trail off to the shop Monday I don't think I've anything to tighten that up with

IMG_20240504_143844.jpg

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Well that's prophetic haha this came loose today, hand tightened on trail off to the shop Monday I don't think I've anything to tighten that up with

View attachment 139693
Tiny bit of lock tight on the bits you don’t take off on a regular basis won’t do any harm. Once you’ve been over them a few times in the first month there ok after that 👍

Marecki

Nov 24, 2021
Poland
Congratiulations on new purchase.

Many third-party lamps can be easily connected to the Giant (for example Magicshine ME 2000 E-Bike with additional GIant connector cable), but there is one big disadvantage: any lamp connected directly to the interior lighting cable will automatically light up whenever the engine is turned on, and there is no way to change this in the app.

Moreover, AFAIK with the default configuration of the ebike it is not possible to turn off the light, so consider the following solutions:
1. Buy a lamp with its own switch to turn it off when not needed.
2. Reprogram the RideControl Ergo using the Giant app to change the default button assignments, for example change the assist button to a light on/off option (but then you won't have the assist feature).
3. Replace RigeControl Ergo with RideControl Dash (with additional wiring) and you will get an additional light on/off button.
4. Install self-made on/off light switch somewhere between the ebike cable and the light, not very convenient.

That's why I find it much easier to use a light with an external battery.

BTW: Be careful when connecting the interior light cable as there are two very similar connectors: red 37V (battery) and white 7V or similar (light) - I'm not 100% sure about the voltages so it's worth double checking.

Wish you great fun with new bike!

With regards,
Marecki

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
Great bike, I have had a Giant Stance EMTB (60Nm motor, 625 watt battery) for 3+ years and just last month bought a Trance Advanced E+ with 85Nm motor and 800 watt battery. I love the color of the one you got and was tore between getting it or the carbon frame that I got. They are both great bikes.

The Stance was virtually problem free for me. I loved it and rode it multiple times per week year round.

As for the App, I just use it for battery level and to assign the assist level. The app needs to be checked before each ride if you are going to use it for upgrades. If a bike upgrade is needed, it must be done prior to leaving or you won't be able to use the app. It seems like Giant is doing more and more upgrades these days. But it may be just the new bike models to fix bugs. My Stance rarely gets updated these days.

I use Strava to track my rides. By the way Strava has a cool feature that allows your wife or friends to track you ride from home so the can find you if you get in trouble. Strava also works on your galaxy or apple watch and tracks heart rate, elevation, maps your ride, etc...

There are two upgrades to the bike that I would recommend. I did them on both my bikes:

The crankset is 36 Tooth on Giant EMtb's. I don't know why. I change it out for a 34 Tooth one which is common on most other brands and gives you a bit more climbing ability.

On my Stance I upgraded to SRAM GX AXS. On my Trance I upgraded to SRAM GX T-type transmission. I highly recommend the T-Type Transmission. Words can't even describe how great it it. You will never have shifting problems again with either the AXS or the T-type. Just search for them on this site or google to read about them.

Tubeless as others have said is a no brainer and cheap to do.

I don't ride a night, no comments on the lights. Other have commented on this.

Forget the auto setting. It is worthless.

Practice with the walk mode, you don't want be trying to figure it out on a ride where you get in trouble and need to walk the bike out of a problem area (that never happened to me of course :) ). The bike is heavy to be pushing it.

Tire pressure is a personal choice. My stance has 2.4" tires and my trance has 2.6" tires. I noted that the max pressure is 50psi on the 2.4" tires and 40psi on the 2.6" tires. I like to ride around 35psi on both. Others like lower pressures. I find the bike roles better with the higher pressure, but I don't jump much and I don't ride on loose dirt that much where I live. I would play around with it and see what works best for you.

Enjoy the bike!

rjd

Apr 28, 2024
NZ/Chc
Wish you great fun with new bike!

With regards,
Marecki

Thanks Marecki, that all makes sense, well apart from giants always on light decision.. obviously they have the ability to control it because they have the ability to map that function... Sigh. Will have a consider of what is the best option I can get locally.

rjd

Apr 28, 2024
NZ/Chc
Enjoy the bike!

Thanks Craig!

I updated the bike via the app when I got it (twice) and now it wants another update so they are still rolling out updates quite frequently for a 2023 bike. I guess its down to the platform rather than the bike itself.

I've Strava'd before but didnt realise there was a tracking feature that is handy

And I'll go tubeless soon as I get the time to sort that out, afik i have all I need to do this with the bike, and I've figured out how walking mode works now, what mode is there to prevent me falling off?

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
Thanks Craig!

I updated the bike via the app when I got it (twice) and now it wants another update so they are still rolling out updates quite frequently for a 2023 bike. I guess its down to the platform rather than the bike itself.

I've Strava'd before but didnt realise there was a tracking feature that is handy

And I'll go tubeless soon as I get the time to sort that out, afik i have all I need to do this with the bike, and I've figured out how walking mode works now, what mode is there to prevent me falling off?
Yea I remember my Stance updated often the first year I had it. Now it is 1 or maybe 2 times a year. I am assuming the new Trance's will get better over time too.

For Strava, look in settings for "Beacon". Set it up. For example I set it up for wife's phone number (They don't have to be a Strava member). When I press start ride (Watch or app) it sends her a text message with a link to a website. She just clicks on the link and sees a live map of where I am traveling). I think it updates every 30 seconds or so as long as I have cell service. If you don't have cell service, it keeps all the mapping history and updates it all when you do get service.

When you find the mode that prevents you from falling, let me know too please :) .

rjd

Apr 28, 2024
NZ/Chc
ok bike fixed, ready for the weekend, will see if I can go tubeless then too, doesnt look like it would take too long

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles