Mission Control New Specialized app?

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Is this black app a new one or what's the difference?

IMG_1227.jpeg

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Nice catch, never saw this before.
Looking at it on my phone it seems that it integrates mission control features with Specialized Ride app.
Interesting also that they released a new Mission Control version a couple of days ago…

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Nice catch, never saw this before.
Looking at it on my phone it seems that it integrates mission control features with Specialized Ride app.
Interesting also that they released a new Mission Control version a couple of days ago…
Does it mean the two other apps can be deleted and this new black one will show the same info as the other two together?

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
As said, maybe to unify both apps into one! Tried it, works fine, has some little bugs with fonts. I could not find information about motor temperature and firmware information so far!

Reap3r

Jul 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
Just downloaded the new app (in US app store) and it's nice! Absolutely a step up from the original Mission Control app which has been feeling dated for a while now. Makes sense as they must have been working on this new app concurrently. Great stuff!

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
I have not downloaded it but I use strava to log my rides and I use the app on my watch to ensure my phone battery is saved incase of an emergency.

So will this new app work of an apple watch?
I know I can link it directly to strava but can it work of the watch gps and cell to save my phone battery

or am I worrying about nothing

Crockej

Feb 21, 2021
Oregon, USA
Just used the new app. It worked but for now is missing a lot of features that the old Mission Control has:
1. Can’t save different bike tunes
2. Map defaulted to Apple Maps - which didn’t have any of the gravel roads that were on the old MC. Interestingly, there was no roads while riding but after it saved the ride, it showed all the back roads. I couldn’t find a setting to pick what map to use while riding. Not very handy if you can’t see the back roads while riding. Also, not clear how it works if there’s no cell coverage where your riding (that’s an issue with MC also).
3. Had several stats while your riding but you can’t choose which stats to view (like you can in MC)
4. Didn’t have an option to charge to 80% (it quit working on MC anyway)
5. Didn’t automatically start recording a ride like it does in MC (with the setting turned on). You have to click the START. After that, it will automatically continue your ride after you’ve stopped though.

My take:
They seem to be trying to combine their Ride app with Mission Control which is a good idea. Once you log in, all your previous ride data is there (great!). Plus, your ride data is fairly extensive especially your ebike stats. I’m guessing that this new app will eventually be replacing MC but it’s too bad they released it with such a limited subset of features that already exist in MC. But MC has been buggy from the start. When it worked, it was great but you never quite knew if it was working until you got to the end of your ride. Plus, if you drove to your ride and didn’t have cell service, you kind of went into limbo.

Bottom line
Glad Specialized is making an effort to improve their apps. It’s a start but they have a ways to go.

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
I have not downloaded it but I use strava to log my rides and I use the app on my watch to ensure my phone battery is saved incase of an emergency

Have you tested the battery usage for Strava on the phone? The reason I mention it is because I see very low battery consumption with Strava. Maybe 5% or 10% over a couple of hours.

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
Have you tested the battery usage for Strava on the phone? The reason I mention it is because I see very low battery consumption with Strava. Maybe 5% or 10% over a couple of hours.
good thought, will do a couple of tests but I have downloaded the app and will give it a go

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
Tried it lately, worked pretty well for a brand new app, but when I set the screen settings for the Mastermind, it wouldn't transfer them to my Levo, so I went back to Mission Control for now. MC will be on the market until end of the year I heard, so they will have plenty of time to fix the new app before it's mandatory to swap.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Today I got pop-up in MC suggesting to download the new app.
I did it, but I notice on the new one there is no way to check firmware and/or available updates?

Plus, I don’t quite like the way profiles for the power delivery are now configured.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I managed to connect my Levo.
And you can't connect heart rate monitor to this app? C'mon! That can't be😅
And no dark mode?
Map aways on?

Not for me this one.
Old MC is much better. Imo.
No need to eyeclasses also! 😁

IMG_5295.jpeg

Last edited:

Petrex

Jul 20, 2022
UK
MC never managed to finish logging a ride - Ride for an hour and MC showed me having taken only a 4min ride !
At least the new app has correctly logged/tracked 2 rides so far ...

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
MC never managed to finish logging a ride - Ride for an hour and MC showed me having taken only a 4min ride !
At least the new app has correctly logged/tracked 2 rides so far ...
I use Garmin Epix to log my rides, so that feature is useless for me.
If i use MC i use it just to see heartrate and time of the day. My commutes includes lots of dark woods early in the mornings. I have to see the time of day so i don’t get late from work.😁
I have Quadlock for phone for that purpose.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
My garmin watch gets all the stat's from the bike and uploads it back to mission control app so I can't see the point of it unless you don't own a garmin.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles