New Shimano 12 Speed XT and SLX group sets

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Haven't seen anything on these on here yet, but they where announced last week, and available in stores over the next few weeks. Interesting to see both are EBIKE rated, with SLX having a steel cassette except for the biggest cog. Wonder if we will see them being used on next years bikes? Upgrading probably a bit expensive as pretty sure you need a new rear hub as they work of a new standard.

Google Translate

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup seen most of those when they came out, was more wondering how many EMTB's we will see with the group sets in 2020

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
We will see these on 2020 bikes that are coming later this year. The e160-9000 will have the XT and I believe the e160-8000 will have the SLX. I think there'll be a lot of bikes updated/released for 2020, partly because of the new Bosch motor, and quite a few of them should come with the new 12s Shimanos.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Upgrading probably a bit expensive as pretty sure you need a new rear hub as they work of a new standard.

Google Translate
It needs microspline freehub , dt swiss and a few others make these for not too much money. I was reading that the new shimano chain when used in conjunction with the rest of the new groupset shifts really well even under load. The expensive part comes in with the crank because this new chain will only work with shimano chainrings , at least it says this much on the raceface site regarding racface 12 speed rings. Apparently you can still use a standard 12 speed chain though.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
It is rather a pity that Shimano have come up with a new standard (microspline) that needs a license. I see Hope and Stan’s making comments on this.

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
I’m actually considering downgrading. With the increase of gears come ever thinner chains. I blew through a chain twice already this season. There’s now a race to ‘one more gear more, one more tooth more’ between Sram and Shimano, and I fear durability will suffer?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles