New XTR/XT/SLX 12 speed on ebikes

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I've recently been thinking about switching to Shimano 12 speed on my Levo, but using the 10-45 cassette.
What chainrings are people running?
I've spotted a raceface SHI 12 ring but it's only 34t and aluminium

And the wolftooth HG compatible ring
which comes in different tooth options, but is still alu and costs twice the price of the raceface ring.

Are there any other options available?

Is there anything else I need to consider?
Would I need a new derailleur hanger or should the existing one work?

Last edited:

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
I've recently been thinking about switching to Shimano 12 speed on my Levo, but using the 10-45 cassette.
What chainrings are people running?
I've spotted a raceface SHI 12 ring but it's only 34t and aluminium

And the wolftooth HG compatible ring
which comes in different tooth options, but is still alu and costs twice the price of the raceface ring.

Are there any other options available?

Is there anything else I need to consider?
Would I need a new derailleur hanger or should the existing one work?
Hi Pyr0
As above i use a 12 speed shimano setup and had issues with the stock Specialized chainring so changed to a Wolftooth 104 BCD 32T Drop-Stop ST which is designed specifically for the purpose and works great. Its aluminium so may have a shorter life than steel ring but so fare no issues.
1594931051556.png

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I currentely ride 1x11 GX with 11-42 cassette and when this wears out I'm pretty sure I will upgrade to something with more range, especially I miss bigger cogs for longer&steeper climbs when also turbo mode is starting to struggle. This Shimano 12spd XT drivetrain looks very interesting to me, especially on paper and many reviews on acoustic bikes, but almost none with ebikes, Shimano says complete 12spd range is ebike rated, also latest Levos come with this drivetrain so I think it has to be somewhat good ar at least ready for ebikes. I'm wondering has anyone here make same swap (GX 1x11 to Shimano 12spd) and has ridden some distance now, have you any regrets swapping to 12spd? And how its durability comparing to 1x11?

Last edited:

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
One thing that interests me about the Shimano cassettes is that you can replace the smaller sprockets when they wear out instead of changing the whole cassette

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles