Shimano XT 12 speed creaking

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand
Purchased a Norco Sight VLT 29 last week, one hell of a bike.

On the 2nd ride the cluster / rear mech started to make a clicking noise under load, only in the x3 lowest gears

I have tried the following.
- Removed the clutch & greased it
- Checked gear alignment on work stand
- Checked for correct assembly
- Checked the chain line alignment, I have a Transition patrol with xt12 speed, bike has a shorter chain stay with no clicking.

I am more than likely going to take it back to the shop, but before I do has anyone else experienced this clicking?
It will be difficult to return the bike & explain whats going on while social distancing.

Batwing

Oct 14, 2019
Brisbane Australia
I had a very similar sound on my bike last week. It appears that it was some long grass that was caught up in the rear cassette. I just give it a good clean, reoiled the chain & presto the noise has gone.

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand
The cassette needs tightening up, my mate has xtr on his new bike and it was creaking, tighten the cassette fixed it

Problem solved,
Did X3 things
-Tightened cassette
-greased behind the hanger
-torqued the hanger to spec.

Noise gone, think it was the cassette that was loose. Not its silent and works like a charm as shimano components do

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Just got back from a ride.
Creak Creak Creak when pedaling. Sounds like the rear hub ... only when torque but don't need a ton of torque to get it to make noise.
Does not feel restrictive at all..

@Number29_NZ - I'll follow your X3 things above.
Cheers,
-Kinger

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand
Just got back from a ride.
Creak Creak Creak when pedaling. Sounds like the rear hub ... only when torque but don't need a ton of torque to get it to make noise.
Does not feel restrictive at all..

@Number29_NZ - I'll follow your X3 things above.
Cheers,
-Kinger

Any luck mate?
My XT hub imploded on itself a few weeks back, don't think XT hubs are designed for Ebikes.
back in for warranty now, pricing up a pair of DT350 / DT240 hubs on some carbon rims.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Any luck mate?
My XT hub imploded on itself a few weeks back, don't think XT hubs are designed for Ebikes.
back in for warranty now, pricing up a pair of DT350 / DT240 hubs on some carbon rims.
Luckily I have a pretty new WeAreOne Carbon wheels with i9 hubs.
I’m swapping them over and getting the bike shop to deal with whatever is creaking.

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand
Luckily I have a pretty new WeAreOne Carbon wheels with i9 hubs.
I’m swapping them over and getting the bike shop to deal with whatever is creaking.

Tidy, I9 hubs wont have any issues taking the power,
what kind of hubs were making the noise out of curiosity?

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Tidy, I9 hubs wont have any issues taking the power,
what kind of hubs were making the noise out of curiosity?
Unconfirmed that it’s the hub, but Shimano XT on my 2020 Norco Sight VLT 29 C2.
I’ll pass on more info after the shop gets their hands on it.

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand
Unconfirmed that it’s the hub, but Shimano XT on my 2020 Norco Sight VLT 29 C2.
I’ll pass on more info after the shop gets their hands on it.
Ah nice, keep me in the loop as to what happens.
my C2 has been back at the bike shop for 2 weeks, had to send the hub back to Shimano.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Ah nice, keep me in the loop as to what happens.
my C2 has been back at the bike shop for 2 weeks, had to send the hub back to Shimano.
A dealer in the area here mentioned to me that they have an employee that also had trouble with the new Shimano XT rear hub.
But yes, @Number29_NZ ... I'll let you know how it goes.

Orb

Jul 14, 2020
New Jersey, USA
Any update from anyone having issues with the XT rear hub? I'm experiencing the same thing and hoping there's a fix that doesn't require warranty replacement.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Any update from anyone having issues with the XT rear hub? I'm experiencing the same thing and hoping there's a fix that doesn't require warranty replacement.
My bike shop took the hub apart, cleaned it and re-greased it.
I was told that there wasn’t much grease in there. The hub has been perfect since.

Reactions: Orb

Orb

Jul 14, 2020
New Jersey, USA
There is definitely not a lot of grease in there, looks like I'll be buying some Shimano grease and giving that a shot. Thanks for the reply.

My bike shop took the hub apart, cleaned it and re-greased it.
I was told that there wasn’t much grease in there. The hub has been perfect since.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles