Mileage / km - chain and cassette life on Shimano SLX, CS-M7100, 12-speed, 10-51t

wolfking

Feb 3, 2022
Germany
Hi there.
I ride SLX 12 speed on my eMTB and passed the 0.5 and also 0.75% mark some time ago. I changed the chain - started skipping, so I put back old chain to wear it until chain / cassette / chainring falls apart. Now I've done 6400 km on 1 chain, 1 cassette, 1 chainring in about 16 months!
I ride mostly forrest trails, some asphalt, occasionally big mountain climbs and mostly in dry conditions, I lube the chain regularly, cca 200 km.
Happy riding.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hi there.
I ride SLX 12 speed on my eMTB and passed the 0.5 and also 0.75% mark some time ago. I changed the chain - started skipping, so I put back old chain to wear it until chain / cassette / chainring falls apart. Now I've done 6400 km on 1 chain, 1 cassette, 1 chainring in about 16 months!
I ride mostly forrest trails, some asphalt, occasionally big mountain climbs and mostly in dry conditions, I lube the chain regularly, cca 200 km.
Happy riding.
The question is what is the total price for all theses parts.
I am pretty sure my 10 S lasts longer and costs less and weights less.
After 3 months i just need a new chain and i ride a lot more.

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
1950 miles / 3140km on an SLX cassette here. On 2nd chain.

I changed the chain about 600 miles ago maybe and it wouldn't work on the smallest cogs so I bought some new ones on aliexpress

I think next time I'll just run the same cassette / chain all the time.

I just use a wet lube and think I've cleaned my bike once or twice only with a sponge. I usually just dump the lube on top of the dirt etc!

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
I dont bother with switching out chains to save on cassette wear. Chains cost a lot too you know.
I just ride them until they fail, or shifting performance is starting to deteriorate.

My bike is approaching 9000km and it is on its 2nd SLX cassette and 2nd SLX chain.
Mostly dry, dusty riding, only wipe off the chain with a rag every 150km or so, and grease with a chain oil. Always in trail mode, hardly ever eco.

If i had replaced my chain at 0.5 or 0.75%, i would have needed like 10 chains at least to do the mileage i did. Costing me at least 300 euros additional. How much would that have saved me in cassette wear? Maybe like a 100 euros? (if that would have doubled the life of the cassette).

Just my experience. I could see the odds flipping if you are riding mostly wet muddy conditions.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi there.
Happy riding.

High Rock Ruti

What's your address I'll send you a new drive....LOL

Warm Regards Ruti

wolfking

Feb 3, 2022
Germany
The question is what is the total price for all theses parts.
I am pretty sure my 10 S lasts longer and costs less and weights less.
After 3 months i just need a new chain and i ride a lot more.
I'm sure 10 S is cheaper and lighter compared to 12 S. But I'm not comparing these two. Having either one, wearing it out and to replace the whole set once in long while, rather than changing chain every few months, could be cheaper. But I'm not saying it's the best solution, just to let you know how much can 1 drive train last.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I'm sure 10 S is cheaper and lighter compared to 12 S. But I'm not comparing these two. Having either one, wearing it out and to replace the whole set once in long while, rather than changing chain every few months, could be cheaper. But I'm not saying it's the best solution, just to let you know how much can 1 drive train last.
I agree it is interesting. Now i started replacing a chain, hoping the cassette will be good for 3. Maybe after that i will simply ride until i must change all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles