New rider looking for advice.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
You’d be better off asking on the Janome sewing forum ?‍♂️ As here can be full of emotional reasoning from the ill informed.

Pull the trigger or don’t ?‍♂️
Welcome to the forum?

GrantCube

Mar 26, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Can’t find a bike! Everyone has sold out, unless I want one in an odd green colour with 160mm of travel (Cube 160).

And it doesn’t come with pedals! That’s odd :)

16” frame for a 29” inside leg?
take that one.....take that one............I have the 140 and whilst I love it....I would love the 160 more!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Cube sold out.

Why is buying a bike so hard?

I thought you were buying the Sommet ?

There's definitely stocking/supply issues at the moment, combined with a sudden uptake in new e-bikers ..

Normally the hardest thing is choosing the bike you want ... or seeking budgetary approval from the OH.

I guess there's either one particular bike you've fallen in love with and decided it ticks all the boxes and you must have that bike .. so you'll spend all week on web sites and calling around trying to find THAT bike ..

Or .. you don't really care which one it is but you have a specific budget and you're just checking every website and ringing around to see who has what in stock which fits within it.

Other than that you're on the second option but have certain liming factors, like it MUST BE A BOSCH, or MUST have Shimano, or Must be Blue and red.

They're all good these days, be it a Sommet, a cube, a radon a focus a Spesh, thok, commencal, canyon, giant, trek .. the list goes on .. Whatever you get, you'll love it. It's not like choosing a wife, they generally do what they say on the label, there's reviews, you can change bits you don't like, it's ok to lend it to a mate to ride, though you will probably worry and maybe be a bit jealous and you can even take them back to the shop for a service or trade them in.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
They're all good these days, be it a Sommet, a cube, a radon a focus a Spesh, thok, commencal, canyon, giant, trek .. the list goes on .. Whatever you get, you'll love it. It's not like choosing a wife, they generally do what they say on the label, there's reviews, you can change bits you don't like, it's ok to lend it to a mate to ride, though you will probably worry and maybe be a bit jealous and you can even take them back to the shop for a service or trade them in.
I'm intrigued in the bits about the wife - would love some advice on how you change those bits and which friends you lend her to?

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Enjoy.....still not took the plunge myself..my orange normal mtb is gathering dust,just not a huge fan of it and my motorbike is,well it's not gathering dust,I'm out every opportunity...been quiet last 2 weeks obviously..still to concerned with reliability..I may take the plunge soon enough...perfect excuse all this carry on

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Buy motorbikes are all sold apart from one which is being rebuilt, s is an almost complete project.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The bike will most likely have tubes, TBH I would just get the suspension set up nicely and go ride it!

IMO in terms of riding kit a lot of non mountain biking stuff can be repurposed, e.g jackets, but a decent helmet, knee pads, and set of shoes are a good starting point.

Also put yourself together a little tool/spares kit that you can take on rides with you.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Shoes is the one thing I didn’t order, knee pads also actually. So I’ll sort that before I hit any trails. And better pedals.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Any knee pads or anything specific? I’ll order them and shoes plus a small bag and tools and spares. W as my to be ready to go when it arrives.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Any knee pads or anything specific? I’ll order them and shoes plus a small bag and tools and spares. W as my to be ready to go when it arrives.
Spare tube even if you go tubeless, good for emergency if tyres shot.
Track pump for home, trail pump for riding.
Spare rear mech hanger...
Shock pump.
Dry lubricant for summer, wet lube for winter. Aldi were doing a deal on them recently.
Bike cleaner. I use muck off, if you had a motorcycle you probably already buy it in 5l containers and decant into sprayer.
Chain cleaning machine and selection of cleaning brushes for bike, cassette and fiddly little places.
Chain splitting tool.
Spare quick links.
Quick link tool!
Bike stand or make one.
As for maintenance tools some people buy a complete set, which if they're cheap ones is okay but quality set like Park tools will be eye watering. Given specific tools vary ie Shimano and SRAM it could make sense just to buy quality ones as required.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
So... somebody said the stuff gets expensive. Helmet was £220. Shoes were £110. Knee pads £50. Stand was £25. Then gloves, bag, jerseys and headphones and on and and and...

And 100% am I going to order more clothes so I can ride every day even in the wet.
Bike arrives Tuesday I think. :)

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
So... somebody said the stuff gets expensive. Helmet was £220. Shoes were £110. Knee pads £50. Stand was £25. Then gloves, bag, jerseys and headphones and on and and and...

And 100% am I going to order more clothes so I can ride every day even in the wet.

It’s an addiction, for sure. I had a couple of delivery free days at home, and felt like something was missing!

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England

Without wanting to sound like a complete ***** on the grand scheme of things those numbers a pennies really,once you've bought the bike the rest is coppers..
I'm just reading before I post this as I truly dont want this to sound how it could possibly be read..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles