New rider looking for advice.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Hello.

I’m new here, and new (sorta) to riding. Come from motorbikes. I’m looking to pick up riding to help me lose weight (I’m about 10 kilos heavier than I should be) and give my brain time to relax.

I’m thinking an eMTB because:

- I don’t want to ride on the road,
- my knee is damaged from an old accident,
- I like adrenaline,
- I am never going to join a gym.

I’ve ruled out a full suspension bike. Mainly for cost and maintenance reasons. I also want to feel the floor, that may prove you be a bad idea! We’ll see. My rides will be 30-40 miles max on a range of trail types.

I was thinking of the Levo HT but people complain about the brakes and forks. The £2k price is attractive.

I’m looking for advice on bikes. I’m 5’6”, with a budget of £2500, and will buy the moment a consensus has been reached :)

Thanks, looking forward to this new journey.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
3.5k would for sure make a few more bikes available to you but I am not sure what are you looking for/to achieve?

The reason I mentioned the Stilus above is because it has the latest Bosch gen 4 motor with a 500wh battery, full suspension, very acceptable components for the price point and is undoubtedly a better package than the Levo hardtail (coming from a specialized fan boy!).

As mentioned you will get a bit more for 3.5k for example you would probably get 2019 Levo or Kenevo and many other brands 2019 models and I believe the Giant stance and Cube stereo hybrid 2020 models start around the 3.5k mark.

However I made a suggestion based on what ebike i'd buy for 2.5k, this thread started with a 2.5k budget and not wanting a full susser but now we're up to 3.5k and embracing the full susser so be able to give the best advice possible over a forum we'd need to know a bit more about your intended use and potential trails otherwise why are you throwing an extra £1000 at this?

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
You’re right.

The comment about hard fail vs my like of adrenaline got me thinking. The Decathlon May be great value but I can’t find barely any information on it and if I’m heading that route I’d prefer to buy a bike 2-3 generations old.

But today I’ve been thinking, I want a hard tail. I want the restrictions and simplicity. And I want the sensations of speed and action at sensible speeds. I used to ride downhill on a third hand £90 Saracen that was falling apart, so I don’t think I need all the bells.

Also near me I’ve got trails and a small collection of mild hills only. So a hardtail will be capable, half the price, and may help me build essential skills instead of relying on the shocks to just cope as I plough through.

From riding motorbikes I learned that all the latest stuff doesn’t mean the most fun.

So I’m back to my original question. Thanks for helping me get there.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Haha glad we could help you to answer your own question.

I have no issue with hardtails and still own an acoustic HT myself however I think there is a real gap in the market for a decent emtb HT. The Levo HT as an example has an old motor (1.3) and only a 400wh battery that cant be removed or upgraded not to mention a very bargain bin spec component list.

I actually think you get more emtb for your money on full sus o_O

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
You’re right.

The comment about hard fail vs my like of adrenaline got me thinking. The Decathlon May be great value but I can’t find barely any information on it and if I’m heading that route I’d prefer to buy a bike 2-3 generations old.

But today I’ve been thinking, I want a hard tail. I want the restrictions and simplicity. And I want the sensations of speed and action at sensible speeds. I used to ride downhill on a third hand £90 Saracen that was falling apart, so I don’t think I need all the bells.

Also near me I’ve got trails and a small collection of mild hills only. So a hardtail will be capable, half the price, and may help me build essential skills instead of relying on the shocks to just cope as I plough through.

From riding motorbikes I learned that all the latest stuff doesn’t mean the most fun.

So I’m back to my original question. Thanks for helping me get there.
the`re only saying the stylus because no ones bought one and reviewed it
and yes your right decathlons sales pitch is shit, not stocked in any stores
who`s going to buy it.
if you come from a motorbike background you`ll apreciate on the british
(what they call) roads ( same as our trails) the function of the rear shock or in some cases the lack thereof, ass ends up blue.
i bought my giant full e second hand 2 years ago perfect no problems as new, you`ve got
to have a look round even the as new market.(some on ebay)
chain reaction doing a Vitus E-Sommet VRS E-Bike (XT 1x12) 2020 at £3600 and a bit of change seems good value

D

Deleted member 7464

As a fellow motorbike rider the best advice I could give is to get a full suspension ebike. The reason I say that is because of the higher inevitable speeds you will travel at compared to a normal pedal bike. I love riding hardtail but would never buy an ebike version. The thrill you probably get from the speed on your motorbike will soon transfer over to the ebike and you will get sick of a hardtail very quickly . Also consider the warranty and dealer base because you will need it as I have found out. Definitely get one though as they are heaps of fun and open up a whole new world of riding,especially if you ain't too fit at the moment ??

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Cube Reaction EX 625

91D41FE1-3B78-4FCE-A896-A9810FA59F9B.png

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Can't really go wrong with this:

RENDER 8.0 2020 – RADON Bikes

I currently have a full sus Haibike and I love it, my KTM (motorbike) is much further towards the back of my mind these days...I genuinely see no place for hardtail eMTB's at all as where the extra motor power will take you, you'll need all the suspension you can afford. IMHO.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Don't buy a bike to lose weight, that's really more about diet. Speaking from experience (a fat guy who has gotten skinny a few times).

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Don't buy a bike to lose weight, that's really more about diet. Speaking from experience (a fat guy who has gotten skinny a few times).

It’ll help though. My diet is pretty good, I just need some help to do the final bit. Also, it’ll be new and fun and get me some headspace.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
It’ll help though. My diet is pretty good, I just need some help to do the final bit. Also, it’ll be new and fun and get me some headspace.
They really ARE a lot of fun. I've had mine about 3 weeks and I just love it! Been mountain biking for over 25 years.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If this will be your first ebike, then I strongly advise getting one with local dealer support. When there is something wrong with the electrics (motor, battery, charging, display, software) then you cannot beat someone just down the road who will turn it round asap. The last thing you want is to be told to pack up the bike and send it back to Germany.

I appreciate the value you can get by buying off the 'net and importing one, I've done it myself. But that was an ordinary analogue bike and apart from a cracked frame I could fix anything myself. E-bikes are something else!

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
If this will be your first ebike, then I strongly advise getting one with local dealer support. When there is something wrong with the electrics (motor, battery, charging, display, software) then you cannot beat someone just down the road who will turn it round asap. The last thing you want is to be told to pack up the bike and send it back to Germany!
I'll second that. Even if you purchase mail order, make sure it's a brand with major components that can be serviced by a LBS. I purchased my Felt online but the components are all Shimano, and my LBS assembled it for me (It was more involved than I expected). A guy I know loved his Luna, but he went over the bars a week ago and now the bike won't turn on. The last I heard he was still waiting on customer service to email him back.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
PS: I too would recommend a full suss. You would be missing out on the potential. You are also forgetting your own "ambition". You will very soon want to go over more challenging trails. Yes, I know there are many riders that can cover some heroically rugged trails on a hardtail, but they are one of two things; an exception or exceptional. Most people are neither of those.

There is at least one rider on here who thought like you and bought a hardtail (yes @Zimmerframe I'm talking about you!) He doesn't ride one now and he may tell you why.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Hi and welcome. You are entering a great place both on these helpful friendly forums and electric biking.

As regard the Hard tail v full suspension, there are many arguments both ways. One I came across many years ago is that capable riders can ride similar trails on a hard tail as full sussers, the key reviews that pitched one v the other said it came down to comfort and fatigue. here's just one such review.
A hard-tail will definitely feel more lively. Check out the actual ride comparison at the back. There's an EMTB version straight after this vid at .

Many of the old arguments again full suspensions as well as more modern slacker geometry, wider softer tyres, weight etc are negated by adding a motor.

I have gone for the slackest bike I've ever owned, yet climb more technical as well as descend more in control. And as for those boring road grinds, they don't exist any more.

With £3.5k available vs £2.5k you are getting into some decent full suspension bikes.

As with other comments, if its your first bike having a local dealer will be really helpful compared to buying online. Online bikes need at least some building and setting up. When you get issues you are most likely going to get advice on how to fix it yourself from an online retailer than from an LBS.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have both hardtail and FS EMTB's, and my hardtail is tricked out with the best parts you can throw at it, and far more capable than any hardtail EMTB you can buy right now - still it doesn't come close to even a mid level full suspension EMTB in terms of capabilities, unless you are a very very good rider.

The normal comparison between hardtail and FS with analog bikes, is not comparable with emtbs's, simply because a hardtail EMTB is still a heavy 20kg bike, and without the rear suspension on an EMTB you can really feel the extra weight. Riding one is a far more physical experience, and to ride it hard you have to be fitter than you would on a full suspension EMTB.

With normal bikes a hardtail may well be lighter and more fling able, and the best hardtail riders have great technique allowing them to make instant line changes and choices to avoid getting bucked off.

With an EMTB hardtail you don't have this luxury, they ride "heavier" than than a FS equivalent, and you are not able to plough through stuff like you would on a FS. You cant sit down for technical climbs, you have to stand up, and you will have to learn how to manhandle a heavy bike quickly on anything technical.

Don't get me wrong, I love my hardtail EMTB, its great for an XC ride, and put to a lot of use over the winter, but if I use it aggressively then I am knackered after about an hour, and can really feel it the next day. I like the challenge of riding it, but its an acquired taste.

If you are actually going to ride trails in any meaningful way, hit jumps etc, get a FS. Add into this that no EMTB hardtail on the market right now has any sort of decent components for hard riding, so value for money is just not great as you will have to upgrade a lot of it - on a hardtail you need the best fork you can get if you are going to ride it hard.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Why is it that whenever someone inquires about a bike because they want to explore mountain biking people always want to equip them to ride the most extreme trails? There is a lot of fun to be had on a basic ebike, and many trails don't even require full-suspension. I love my full-suspension but I've also been riding for 25+ years so am sticking with the hobby. Full-suspension bikes are more expensive, more complicated, and more expensive to keep running. Just buy a bike with brand-name components that fits your budget. You can always upgrade later and the bikes will be even better than they are now! Also more expensive, but that's just the trend I've noticed for 25+ years!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Why is it that whenever someone inquires about a bike because they want to explore mountain biking people always want to equip them to ride the most extreme trails? There is a lot of fun to be had on a basic ebike, and many trails don't even require full-suspension. I love my full-suspension but I've also been riding for 25+ years so am sticking with the hobby. Full-suspension bikes are more expensive, more complicated, and more expensive to keep running. Just buy a bike with brand-name components that fits your budget. You can always upgrade later and the bikes will be even better than they are now! Also more expensive, but that's just the trend I've noticed for 25+ years!

I think its important to differentiate between Hardtail EMTB's and normal Hardtail MTB'S here as they are actually very different propositions - if someone wanted to try normal mountain biking without spending a fortune, a decent hardtail is definitely the way forward.

However with EMTB's there are two factors.

Firstly the extra weight is way more noticeable on a hardtail EMTB, and as such the effect is has on the handling for the bike, and the comfort of the riding experience, if riden down proper trails, is far more limiting, and also IMO dangerous to someone learning to ride properly, as when that weight kicks back at the rider you will really know about it. If I am riding technical single track on my hardtail EMTB I actually have no option but to ride it as fast as possible, because the faster you go the less chance you have of hanging up, as you are getting the bike to skim over roots etc, where if you slowed down you would hang up on them - on a fs you can go at a pace that suits you.

Secondly, no one really makes decent hardtail EMTB's with the progressive geometry that regular decent hardtail use, which help them ride so well despite having no rear bounce, with most geometry geared more towards the touring/mild xc end of the market. Only Kinesis with their new Rise hardtail makes anything that looks up to date geo wise, and that uses the Fazua system which is a lot less powerful than the completion, but also means that the bike has a relatively low weight, but its aimed at a very narrow market.

RISE

Of course if you just want to get out and ride fire roads and bridleways then a basic hardtail EMTB will be fine, but if you want to try more adventurous stuff with an EMTB I would always go fs

There is no reason to buy a top end bike, on that I agree, but what buy something that will limit you in the first place?

Personally I would buy the Decthlon, cracking bike and an unbelievable price, with great components. Easy to learn on, and easy to upgrade as and when.

Last edited:

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Speaking from experience (a fat guy who has gotten skinny a few times).

That's the funniest thing I've read for ages and possibly true on many accounts :)

To be honest go full suspension, i purchased a bike at Christmas, never even sat on an emtb before buying it but sort of new i would enjoy it. My budget was 3500 max but settled on a cube 140 2020 bike at 3700. It was the only bike with decent spec at that price range.

That decathlon bike at below 3k looks good value for money but i like the kiox bosch display and i think the 625 battery on the cube makes for a better bike.

I will say whatever emtb you buy will change your life in a good way, i cannot keep off this thing and it is without doubt the best toy i have in the garage to date and cant even be arsed to take the other bikes out. Incidentally i have never been so fit and have lost a stone in weight since buying the thing.

On another note i have discovered so many places i would never have discovered locally without this bike :)

upload

Judgeju

Mar 16, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello.

I’m new here, and new (sorta) to riding. Come from motorbikes. I’m looking to pick up riding to help me lose weight (I’m about 10 kilos heavier than I should be) and give my brain time to relax.

I’m thinking an eMTB because:

- I like adrenaline,

I’ve ruled out a full suspension bike. Mainly for cost and maintenance reasons. I also want to feel the floor, that may prove you be a bad idea! We’ll see. My rides will be 30-40 miles max on a range of trail types.

I was thinking of the Levo HT but people complain about the brakes and forks. The £2k price is attractive.

I’m looking for advice on bikes. I’m 5’6”, with a budget of £2500, and will buy the moment a consensus has been reached :)

Thanks, looking forward to this new journey.
Bought a 2019 Giant Fathom E+2 medium second hand quite some time a go for £1000 (Bargain) RRP circa £2100 . I love it .
Pro's Great torque on the engine, not bad components (although upgrading as they wear out.) Good range on battery. De-restricted. Bought another set of rims so can put road (ish) tyres on for commute. All round i really like this bike.
Con's Engine mounts creak, but greased up and all is good. Not many to be honest.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
The other thing about the Decathlon is, if I decide this ain’t for me selling it will be harder compared to a Cube etc.

I’m going to go walk around the areas I’d be riding and think.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
The other thing about the Decathlon is, if I decide this ain’t for me selling it will be harder compared to a Cube etc.

To be honest don't worry about second hand values there going to be worthless after a few months, I guess my 3700 cube is worth around 2k at best after 4 months so don't even start to let that get into your head, just buy it and enjoy the thing :)

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset

I think in this case some of the requirements point towards the expected use and based upon these the rider is unlikely to be pottering around smooth trails. I like adrenaline is a bit of a give away.

- I like adrenaline,

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset

They will be much more fun on a full suspension emtb than walking ??

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

If you can easily walk around the areas, then once you are riding them, you will get bored on a bike, even an eHT. If you are looking for the adrenaline hit (and I'm not talking trouser soiling hits, just ones that make you think for a bit before tackling the features), then you will need the support of a full suss. Everyone who has responded has said get a FS, even the guy that has an eHT. The only other guy I knew that bought an eHT ditched it after a few months.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles