New Motor Time

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I periodically kept getting the e010 code, then more often for just over a week.
Then it became permanent. I tried various ways to bring the motor back.
The bike went to JE James at Chesterfield for a diagnosis, it's a sensor & terminal 😒
At 3640 trouble free miles I suppose can't grumble.
Just waiting for Madisons to come back with a price for a new E8000.
Even if it would have been repairable, I've lost confidence with it & would prefer a new motor.

billp91311

Feb 9, 2019
Chatsworth, CA
If you have a battery like mine, I took a pick and pulled the internal connector points out so they make better contact and the code is gone. This may work on internal batteries too but I have no experience with them. Also, I just bought a 2nd hand battery off ebay that was like new that gave me the same issue the first ride out. I adjusted the connectors with my pick and the code has not reappeared since after several rides. This code also happened on my original battery that is almost 6 years old. Same fix on that one. Original motor is still going strong with 3000+ miles on it.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
If you have a battery like mine, I took a pick and pulled the internal connector points out so they make better contact and the code is gone. This may work on internal batteries too but I have no experience with them. Also, I just bought a 2nd hand battery off ebay that was like new that gave me the same issue the first ride out. I adjusted the connectors with my pick and the code has not reappeared since after several rides. This code also happened on my original battery that is almost 6 years old. Same fix on that one. Original motor is still going strong with 3000+ miles on it.
Hmmm, interesting. I had an e020 code on my other bike, which turned out to be what you describe. I cleaned the terminals with contact cleaner & it's not been back since.
I had a new motor delivered from Madisons. I've noticed my old motor with 3906 miles is sounding a little noisy.
I'll compare the noise with the new one. I'm not expecting the old one to last long 🤔

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
The cheapest place I’ve seen new e8000 motors is eBay from Germany, about £650ish if I remember, I got quoted just under £1000 from shimano UK!

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
The cheapest place I’ve seen new e8000 motors is eBay from Germany, about £650ish if I remember, I got quoted just under £1000 from shimano UK!
I saw those too. £920.00 from Madison through JE James. They told me the new motor will need to be configured like the old one 🤔🤷‍♂️ So for the sake of £200.00 - £300.00, I went with the what they told me.
I wanted to be riding my bike again asap.
I also understand that there's much agro with warranty claims, because the new motor wasn't purchased in GB.
I wasn't going to risk two years warranty for also the sake of the above amount.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I saw those too. £920.00 from Madison through JE James. They told me the new motor will need to be configured like the old one 🤔🤷‍♂️ So for the sake of £200.00 - £300.00, I went with the what they told me.

As I understand it, you need to setup wheel circumference and motor angle, which you can do in the STunlocker full App, but at least you have a warrantied motor again now by letting them do it. 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles