Shimano e8000 display time.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
is there a way of keeping the current time on the shimano display rather than having to stop riding and pull out the phone or peel back layers of clothing to check my watch?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
yes. Just switch display mode to clock.

if it's not showing use the app to customise display options available

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
With previous FW versions, display showed speed, and if changed to show other parameter, after 10 seconds it returned to speed. But after last FW update, the selected parameter remains in the display until next Power off/on

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
With previous FW versions, display showed speed, and if changed to show other parameter, after 10 seconds it returned to speed. But after last FW update, the selected parameter remains in the display until next Power off/on
is that actually noted in the FW update details somewhere?
I've had it stay on the chosen parameter with some updates then go back to not staying on the chosen parameter after 10sec or whatever with some other updates.
seems a bit buggy TBH

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
My display always reverted to current speed, unless I'd selected cadence. I did the 4.8 motor update, and an update for the power switch - I assume the display has the latest update already because there were no updates for it. No change to my display :(

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth

This was some time ago, and I already replaced my SC-E8000 for a SC-E7000, so I can not try it.

Anyway, the display has its own FW, last one is Ver. 4.0.7 (Description in Shimano FW web is Error Correction) dated Dec 2017 check if you already have it. My display came with an older FW version and I believe that after I updated it, the parameters remained in display, but this was long ime ago, so I may be wrong.

Anyway, now I use a Garmin Explore and all the parameters (Including Motor Assistance and battery %) are displayed in the screen at once.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Good to have an update 18 months on anyway ?

I don't run a display at all anymore.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Good to have an update 18 months on anyway ?

I don't run a display at all anymore.
I thought it is still relevant - it is something that was bugging me too. I'm really not interested in current speed or range. Time, trip distance, odometer, battery, current mode - that's about it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. of course. I was more making fun of the huge lapse in interest ;)

Mode and battery are all my bike shows via the two LEDs on the junction box and the 5 LEDs on the battery.
The junction box will also flag error and battery low by the colour of the lights. Dead easy to glance at but at the same time completely unobtrusive.
I have a tiny bar mounted Tomtom GPS I can fit to display 3 metrics at a time out of time, spd Avg dist, dur, elev, alt, HR and Cad and scroll between all at will. it's kinda nice not to have anything though.

I had a Garmin for a while that could display all sorts of inane shit, do live stuff with Strrava and trail forks and make lots of annoying beeps. I hated it. (Still use one on my roadbike though)

Winco60

Dec 20, 2022
Adelaide SA Australia
is there a way of keeping the current time on the shimano display rather than having to stop riding and pull out the phone or peel back layers of clothing to check my watch?
I have recently taken delivery of my first EMTB (Focus Jam 7.9) and I am experiencing this same issue. I only want to view the time by glancing down at the display. Not interested in my current speed (Captain slow anyway).

I have tried configuring time as the default setting but unable to set. Keeps reverting back to speed after 10 secs.

I tried using the eTube app but it will not allow me to change the default current settings relegating time to the 5th view option. Can someone please explain how to make time the default view for me? Many thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles