EP8 swap labor time

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
Estimated labor time for EP8 swap at a certified dealer? I would do it myself if they would let me and still be warranted.

Also, will Shimano want the broken motor back?

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
Thank you both for responding, I watched a couple videos and as long as you have the right bottom bracket tools it seems very fast. Thanks!

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
Not that lucky… the LBS informed me two days ago that, yes, Shimano wanted it back… I was already planning the spindle replacement if I did though..

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
If you are only swapping the motor then possibly. If you include cranks, motor covers, chainring and sorting out the wiring I'd imagine a shop charging at least 1 hour labour.
In the videos there are two wires to plug into the side of the motor and the third plugs into the battery. I have not seen a video over 30 minutes at regular speed (no skipped parts or fast forwarding) but it is good to know the range of time. Thanks for the details…

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
In the videos there are two wires to plug into the side of the motor and the third plugs into the battery. I have not seen a video over 30 minutes at regular speed (no skipped parts or fast forwarding) but it is good to know the range of time. Thanks for the details…

It sort of depends on the bike and motor too, ep8 does look quite easy to swap.
I have a bash guard (4 bolts) and 2 motor covers (6 bolts) on my Bosch, the wiring routing did make it a bit fiddly too.
Then there's cleaning everything down including threads, and getting any mud out of the motor area. Then making sure the gear, brake and dropper cable followed the same route as before as you slide the motor back in.
All straightforward enough but easily took an hour.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
It sort of depends on the bike and motor too, ep8 does look quite easy to swap.
I have a bash guard (4 bolts) and 2 motor covers (6 bolts) on my Bosch, the wiring routing did make it a bit fiddly too.
Then there's cleaning everything down including threads, and getting any mud out of the motor area. Then making sure the gear, brake and dropper cable followed the same route as before as you slide the motor back in.
All straightforward enough but easily took an hour.
Makes sense, thanks for spending the time in the details

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles