Shimano E010 Dead Motor = Decision Time

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Hi
2 months after warranty expired experienced 4 instances or E010 on 5th instance motor would not restart.
LBS have inspected it and confirmed it is torque sensor which according to them means a new motor.
Bike has covered just under 1000 miles, only sees water when going through puddles as I use a waterless polish after each ride and bike has been serviced by supplying dealer.
They submitted a warranty claim but this has been rejected by Madison as warranty has expired, however they say Madison willing to look at motor if it is sent to them.

I have asked LBS to send me a copy of diagnostic report in the hope I can find someone who can tell if it is repairable or not.

I am reluctant to spend just shy of £1000 on an e8000 motor to put into a 2 year old bike although I understand the new motor will have a 2 year warranty if fitted by LBS.

Looking for some points of view on the following
  1. Pay for old motor to be shipped to Madison in the hope that they honour a post warranty claim.
  2. Hopefully find someone who reckons they can fix it.
  3. Pay for new e8000 motor knowing it will have 2 year warranty v little or no warranty with option 2 if successful
  4. Sell bike for what I can (not sure what a 2019 Focus Jam2 6.9 in great condition apart from a fecked motor is worth) and move on to more powerful Bosch, Brose or Yamaha powered bike. These motors are apparently more easily repairable post warranty.
Thanks in advance
Alan

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Option 1 shouldn't cost that much and could result in a goodwill gesture from Madison/Shimano of a cheaper replacement (I think free is somewhat optimistic, but you never know).
Option 2 is possible, I'm sure the torque sensor has been identified and is available, but some googling will be required.
Option 3 gives you the oppoirtunity to upgrade to an EP8.
Option 4 means practically giving the bike away. Splitting it for parts would get you the most money I suspect.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool

Try giving these guys a call and see if they can help

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Option 1 shouldn't cost that much and could result in a goodwill gesture from Madison/Shimano of a cheaper replacement (I think free is somewhat optimistic, but you never know).
Option 2 is possible, I'm sure the torque sensor has been identified and is available, but some googling will be required.
Option 3 gives you the oppoirtunity to upgrade to an EP8.
Option 4 means practically giving the bike away. Splitting it for parts would get you the most money I suspect.
Some good points. I was under the impression EP8 motors could not be retro fitted into a bike which had e8000

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow

Try giving these guys a call and see if they can help
Thanks Richy
Been in touch and Alex has asked for diagnostic report. LBS seem reluctant to supply this. Have now asked 3 times.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Hi
2 months after warranty expired experienced 4 instances or E010 on 5th instance motor would not restart.
LBS have inspected it and confirmed it is torque sensor which according to them means a new motor.
Bike has covered just under 1000 miles, only sees water when going through puddles as I use a waterless polish after each ride and bike has been serviced by supplying dealer.
They submitted a warranty claim but this has been rejected by Madison as warranty has expired, however they say Madison willing to look at motor if it is sent to them.

I have asked LBS to send me a copy of diagnostic report in the hope I can find someone who can tell if it is repairable or not.

I am reluctant to spend just shy of £1000 on an e8000 motor to put into a 2 year old bike although I understand the new motor will have a 2 year warranty if fitted by LBS.

Looking for some points of view on the following
  1. Pay for old motor to be shipped to Madison in the hope that they honour a post warranty claim.
  2. Hopefully find someone who reckons they can fix it.
  3. Pay for new e8000 motor knowing it will have 2 year warranty v little or no warranty with option 2 if successful
  4. Sell bike for what I can (not sure what a 2019 Focus Jam2 6.9 in great condition apart from a fecked motor is worth) and move on to more powerful Bosch, Brose or Yamaha powered bike. These motors are apparently more easily repairable post warranty.
Thanks in advance
Alan
Update on motor. I had been using stunlocker as I could not get the Shimano app to work, neither could LBS. They phoned today saying diagnostic report shows motor has been tampered with so no point in sending it to Shimano/Madison. I used stunlocker to reduce the assistance to give me a bit more of a workout and more range from battery.
Anyone else have any experience of this. Need to get contact details for Madison and contact them direct I think.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
This is getting fishy. I’m not aware they can tell you’ve used STUnlocker if you’ve made no changes, but maybe they can… Did you tell them you’d used it before they mentioned this?
Perhaps you changed the pin with it and that’s recorded?
Anyway, there’s no issue with connecting STUnlocker. Nor could there be an issue with changing the pin if that’s recorded.
There is an issue whilst under warranty of changing things like the speed or the wheel size using any device, even with STUnlocker.
Some say that it’s possible to hide records of changing speed / wheel size. They’re wrong and there’s a recent example on the Emtbforums FB Group with photographic evidence of the report from the computer readout from an lbs.
But that’s all irrelevant out of warranty.

Your LBS will know this.

Maddison would love to help with the motor because they’ll make money.

So….

You need to go to a different LBS.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Just been down this road, you can fit the ep8 motor to a bike that originally had the e8000 but you have to change the cabling as different size ends on them, of course. Shimano don't sell any internal parts for the motors, so you can't just get a torque sensor and change it, go figure! Talked to the Bearing Man about repairing the motor and he hasn't had any luck with them so doesn't repair them anymore unfortunately.
I ended up buying a new motor from Germany and fitted it myself without any dramas. I now have a spare motor and it's an expensive paper weight in my workshop now, I'm hoping that in the future someone will start making parts for these motors as there must be 10's of thousands of them world wide. I have 2 bikes with the e8000 motors so keeping the old one with the hope for the future. Good luck and hopefully the e-motor repair guys can help out, sorry for the bad news and keep us posted please.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Update on motor. I had been using stunlocker as I could not get the Shimano app to work, neither could LBS. They phoned today saying diagnostic report shows motor has been tampered with so no point in sending it to Shimano/Madison. I used stunlocker to reduce the assistance to give me a bit more of a workout and more range from battery.
Anyone else have any experience of this. Need to get contact details for Madison and contact them direct I think.

Can you connect STUnlocker and reset to Factory setting? See what happens.

I had exactly the same context and symptoms a year ago. Replaced the motor and bike was like new again. Madison didn’t honor the warranty because the Market setting was changed with unauthorized software (STU in my case)
I was also reducing the assistance to match my analogue buddies. I was riding with 20 Nm and 300W in eco mode.

On reflection, the motor was happy with 20Nm setting, but when I set from 500W to 300W the motor started spitting out errors and eventually stopped completely. Even the LBS diagnostic box ‘couldn’t diagnose the fault’ and the distributor said over the phone that it’s most probably the cadence unit.
I still have the motor as a door-stop. I am thinking of sending it to Madison for reset to factory and to see if it miraculously recovers, but I no longer have a bike for it.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Can you connect STUnlocker and reset to Factory setting? See what happens.

I had exactly the same context and symptoms a year ago. Replaced the motor and bike was like new again. Madison didn’t honor the warranty because the Market setting was changed with unauthorized software (STU in my case)
I was also reducing the assistance to match my analogue buddies. I was riding with 20 Nm and 300W in eco mode.

On reflection, the motor was happy with 20Nm setting, but when I set from 500W to 300W the motor started spitting out errors and eventually stopped completely. Even the LBS diagnostic box ‘couldn’t diagnose the fault’ and the distributor said over the phone that it’s most probably the cadence unit.
I still have the motor as a door-stop. I am thinking of sending it to Madison for reset to factory and to see if it miraculously recovers, but I no longer have a bike for it.
Good points. The key ones are:-
1. It was in warranty
2. Maddison engaged with you
3. The market settings had been changed
4. This is all recorded by the bike’s computer
I have a question that I hope you can answer publicly:-
“Which Market Settings did you alter with STUnlocker?”
If it was just the lock code pin, then that’s a lot of people potentially not covered by their warranty.
Im hoping - sorry for your loss… - that you’re going to reply with something else as well, like the speed or the wheel diameter which would by any interpretation be a change in Market Settings (unlike just changing the pin and using ST for the extra info).
Thanks 😊🙏

Strindberg

Sep 24, 2021
Strasbourg, France
Hej Hej @Phil_st

I made myself two days ago the servicing of my E8000.

It seems to work well after it.
May be I am a lucky guy in this affair.
The torque sensor is reliable like before.

I have a Husqvarna and the place for the E8000 is very very sharp because of the design of the framework.

I ask me if I could once replace the E8000 with the EP8... of course with the accurate connectors.

1 Moteur Shimano E8000 châssis .jpg

Last edited:

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Hej Hej @Phil_st

I made myself two days ago the servicing of my E8000.

It seems to work well after it.
May be I am a lucky guy in this affair.
The torque sensor is reliable like before.

I have a Husqvarna and the place for the E8000 is very very sharp because of the design of the framework.

I ask me if I could once replace the E8000 with the EP8... of course with the accurate connectors.

View attachment 76218
As far as I know, the E8000 and the EP8 have exactly the same profile and bolt patterns so can be swapped. Its the same on the Merida I have with the tight frame design and as Phil_st said, the boys at Epic Ebikes swapped out the 8000 for the ep8.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Depending on the frame design you can swap in an EP8, the mounting points are the same.

On bikes like the OG Merida and Vitus which had the basic frame mounts which don’t overlap the motor not an issue.

On something like a YT Decoy where the motor fitment is semi integrated into the frame due to the design it might not be possible

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
And then there’s the need for new wiring as the connections are slightly different between E8000 and EP8 systems. But those are available and certainly not a deal-breaker.
The idea that the key parts will be retro-engineered by an entrepreneurial engineer for all these engines (as has been done for bearings and in some cases the ‘clutch - Brose) is exciting.
But will it happen?

Phil_st

Apr 25, 2021
Gold Coast Queensland Australia
And then there’s the need for new wiring as the connections are slightly different between E8000 and EP8 systems. But those are available and certainly not a deal-breaker.
The idea that the key parts will be retro-engineered by an entrepreneurial engineer for all these engines (as has been done for bearings and in some cases the ‘clutch - Brose) is exciting.
But will it happen?
I for one, if my e8000 is bricked, will be looking at the retro fit of an ep8 into my Norco sight vlt that and swapping the fork out for a 29er, should actually put my 2020 model back up to spec with the lastest trends in the ebb world 😂😂

Strindberg

Sep 24, 2021
Strasbourg, France
@Phil_st

For example wrote me today the technical departement of Commencal
that for all their own frames it is not possible to fix an EP8 instead of an E8000.
And they can't send me a broken EP8 for a test because they have to send it to Shimano for replacement.

But since last Monday my servicing of my E8000 seems to be totally positive.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles