E8000 E010 Out of Warranty

baddevotions

Dec 17, 2022
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Has anyone had any recent experience of dealing with Madison? My motor has an E010 error (only 1600 miles of riding) and it's now 2 and a half months out of warranty. Madison are asking to see the motor to inspect it "before making an offer". I have tried to press what they mean when they say that, but to no avail. The shimano service centre say that this is the first shimano motor they have had to deal with that's out of warranty so they have no idea what the outcome is likely to be.

What are Madison likely to do? Do they offer discounted motors? Are they just gonna say, tough you have to buy at full price.

Any information would be super useful!
thanks

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I had the Shimano e8000 motor let go when it was 3 and a half years old with E010 error with 1600 miles on
I took it back to the local bike shop where I'd bought it from and Shimano requested the motor back for inspection
They replaced it with a new one free of charge even although it was 18 months out of warranty
All it cost me was £40 labour charge to fit and set up the new motor, a real result.

I would add that my old motor had not been de restricted or tampered with in any way, I think this may have helped.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I had the Shimano e8000 motor let go when it was 3 and a half years old with E010 error with 1600 miles on
I took it back to the local bike shop where I'd bought it from and Shimano requested the motor back for inspection
They replaced it with a new one free of charge even although it was 18 months out of warranty
All it cost me was £40 labour charge to fit and set up the new motor, a real result.

I think it’s safe to say that not everyone will be so lucky.

baddevotions

Dec 17, 2022
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies. I think it’ll be worth a punt sending it off then. Worst case it’ll be I have to pay for a new motor at full price.

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
Had a similar result with an out of warranty 8000 motor suffering from e010 errors. If the truth were known, it's probably a known issue & Shimano are just trying to keep it under the radar. Either way, I've got no complaints with the service received from Madison / Shimano - new motor complete with new 2 year warranty = result!

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
My motor had about 1600 miles on it and was over 6 months out of warranty. Started the claim with Madison myself and they asked me to pass it through my local bike shop in Dorset (not where I bought it as it came from Commencal in Andorra). Same as first poster E10 error with full diagnosis on SMPCE02 showing Torque sensor. LBS dismantled and shipped - Madison replaced with new motor - LBS rebuilt. Only charge was to pay LBS.

I will also add my motor had not been derestricted nor country code changed. So was completely stock.

baddevotions

Dec 17, 2022
United Kingdom
It’s probably cheaper to fix when they break rather than do an entire recall if there is something fundamentally wrong. Still, good that they replace quickly and with no questions asked.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
It’s probably cheaper to fix when they break rather than do an entire recall if there is something fundamentally wrong. Still, good that they replace quickly and with no questions asked.
I have never come across anyone saying Shimano repaired their motor - all are either replaced under warranty or refused if they have been tampered with such as region change.

I have also not found anyone who can source spares to repair shimano motors with original parts in UK

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
No such luck for me…

my e8000 was awful from the beginning to end. 1500 miles and it finally gave up two months out of warranty.
madisson finally and very reluctantly gave me a motor…for £550.

This is why I will not and have not gone Shimano again. Random and tbh poor support from Madisson Warranty.

I am now riding Spesh, have had nothing but excellent support (they view motor as part of their overall responsibility) and a promise of a discounted Brose after a 4 year warranty that’s less than I took months to wrangle out of Madisson.

Plus my Brose is trudging on way past the point the e8000 had given out 3 times and I know have backing of a companies warranty dept if anything goes wrong….

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
just to update anyone who finds this post in the future. I got a text from my LBS last night to say the bike was ready to collect. Madison had sent a new motor free of charge! RESULT! The bike shop didn't even know a new one would be sent. Crimbo came early for me for sure.
A buddy of mine had his Shimano motor replaced for just the price of labor, long after the warranty was up. Took a while because it was in the middle of covid times, but Shimano took care of him. :)

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
A buddy of mine had his Shimano motor replaced for just the price of labor, long after the warranty was up. Took a while because it was in the middle of covid times, but Shimano took care of him. :)
Not my experience at all…maybe my motor had covid as was during that period ;-)

I’ve emailed Madison asking why the variations in support rather than a consistent Service Level. I don’t expect a reply mind. It’s not Shimano in uk the wholesaler are Madison and the EP8 etc are a tiny bit of their business.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
So….I’ve been in a email trail with Madison in the UK over my out of warranty experience.

I used STUnlocker (super software) and when I could use on private land set to the USA unit setting that gave a very useful additional 4mph assistance…still within unit tolerances as this is the USA setting in the same motor unit as the European version.

Due to this they couldn’t offer a free exchange, even though when the original unit was taken apart it was, in summer full of water. I never jetwash. I never peddle in motor deep water. It wasn’t sealed correctly.

Hope this helps explains the difference in support and to be aware of third party software.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles