New motor or not...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
that’s a deal - I am almost tempted to get one as a spare!

Holland bike shop are a proper shop too.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Well I think I'm going down the DIY route, taken old motor off ?

When I install the new motor I think the most important things are getting the wheel circumference and motor angle correct? Anyone know if this can be done via the STUnlocker app? Or do I need the PC software?

Should have checked before I disconnected everything ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yup, you can change both of those with stunlocker. Not sure what the angle is set to on the Jam2. You could plug the cables back in with the motor out to check.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Yup, you can change both of those with stunlocker. Not sure what the angle is set to on the Jam2. You could plug the cables back in with the motor out to check.

That's good, thanks. It's 16° as I've got a diagnostic report printed out. I'm pretty sure it did say that on the STUnlocker app, just couldn't remember if it could be altered or not...

Any other advice? ??

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
If you are in the Surrey area you can borrow mine, I have the correct tool

I've found a Park Tool one for about £30, does that sound about right?

I used pipe grips to get the old one off, just want to torque it back on correctly.

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
I just had to replace my STEPS E8000 motor. I had been using the Peartune speed chip, which eventually killed the motor. I bought the bike from Freeborn 3 years ago.

Shop were super helpful, and got me a new motor from Madison for £600. As I had messed with the motor I had to pay full price (£600). If you have not, then apparently you will pay less for the motor from Madison so I would get back to place of purchase and ask them to get in touch.

Something you should know, each motor is apparently tuned for the bike. Joe at Freeborn had to get the spec for the motor sent from Devinci to Madison to upload. So not sure if you buy off the shelf if it will work for the bike?

I will get the new Motor next week. My charger also blew up, so getting a new one of them as well ;)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I just had to replace my STEPS E8000 motor. I had been using the Peartune speed chip, which eventually killed the motor. I bought the bike from Freeborn 3 years ago.

Shop were super helpful, and got me a new motor from Madison for £600. As I had messed with the motor I had to pay full price (£600). If you have not, then apparently you will pay less for the motor from Madison so I would get back to place of purchase and ask them to get in touch.

Something you should know, each motor is apparently tuned for the bike. Joe at Freeborn had to get the spec for the motor sent from Devinci to Madison to upload. So not sure if you buy off the shelf if it will work for the bike?

I will get the new Motor next week. My charger also blew up, so getting a new one of them as well ;)

Hi, I bought my Jam2 online from JEJames so no option to go back to them as too far away...

Local bike shop I've used a few times quoted £950 to replace, they also said I need motor fitment specs from Focus, emailed them but they didn't seem to understand what I needed, haven't had a reply to my last email. Shop said they would charge extra to get the information themselves ?

I've read in another thread that there's no particular settings that need to be set, apart from motor angle which can be done via STUnlocker it would seem.

Still not sure what to do... ?

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Hi, I bought my Jam2 online from JEJames so no option to go back to them as too far away...

Local bike shop I've used a few times quoted £950 to replace, they also said I need motor fitment specs from Focus, emailed them but they didn't seem to understand what I needed, haven't had a reply to my last email. Shop said they would charge extra to get the information themselves ?

I've read in another thread that there's no particular settings that need to be set, apart from motor angle which can be done via STUnlocker it would seem.

Still not sure what to do... ?

I live in Edinburgh, Freeborn are in West Sussex - 450 miles away.

They are posting the motor up to me next week.

The shop that sold you the bike should look after you. Most e-bike retailers only want to look after bikes they have sold, so I would try contacting JE James.

£600 for a new motor is a lot better than buying a new bike...

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I live in Edinburgh, Freeborn are in West Sussex - 450 miles away.

They are posting the motor up to me next week.

The shop that sold you the bike should look after you. Most e-bike retailers only want to look after bikes they have sold, so I would try contacting JE James.

£600 for a new motor is a lot better than buying a new bike...

I presume they are giving you a discount as £600 seems very cheap... ? Good service from them anyway.

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
I presume they are giving you a discount as £600 seems very cheap... ? Good service from them anyway.
Not sure, I think it must be close to what Madison have charged them. As I mentioned if I hadn't messed with the motor it could have been less.

Freeborn's service has been excellent from the moment I bought the bike, I would buy from them again and I guess that is why they give service like that.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Not sure, I think it must be close to what Madison have charged them. As I mentioned if I hadn't messed with the motor it could have been less.

Freeborn's service has been excellent from the moment I bought the bike, I would buy from them again and I guess that is why they give service like that.

Well I've started the process with JeJames now, left it a bit late in the day though so they're going to get back to me.

Don't think I'll get it for £600 though ?

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Im in exactly the same position. I had a new motor 18 months ago and that one is now on its way out. I had an offer from Bosch - good will gesture. I pay reduced amount of 750 for the motor and the new purion display unit and have a new motor and 24 months warranty or 500 quid and 6 months warranty... I m going to let a local Bosch service centre, hopefully repair as cheap as possible. The bearing change which it needs may be 200 ish quid, then I will sell soon as the new 2022 bikes arrive.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Im in exactly the same position. I had a new motor 18 months ago and that one is now on its way out. I had an offer from Bosch - good will gesture. I pay reduced amount of 750 for the motor and the new purion display unit and have a new motor and 24 months warranty or 500 quid and 6 months warranty... I m going to let a local Bosch service centre, hopefully repair as cheap as possible. The bearing change which it needs may be 200 ish quid, then I will sell soon as the new 2022 bikes arrive.

Unless you change your bike every two years then the threat of buying a new motor is always going to be there.

I love e-mtbs, I wouldn't have got into cycling without mine, I'm fitter and mentally better off since I got it but I'm now considering whether I can afford to keep one long term...

Old Mike

Sep 3, 2019
Consett, County Durham
Unless you change your bike every two years then the threat of buying a new motor is always going to be there.

I love e-mtbs, I wouldn't have got into cycling without mine, I'm fitter and mentally better off since I got it but I'm now considering whether I can afford to keep one long term...

I've been reliably informed (by people on this forum) that £1,000 for a badly engineered not weatherproof unreliable tiny little electric motor is a bargain. So you should be grateful they're letting you have it that cheap.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles