New motor or not...

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Just had confirmed what I thought anyway that my Focus needs a new motor.

My dilemma is this, I was hoping to sell it soon anyway, so do I leave as is and sell it cheap to reflect that it needs a new motor, pay £950 to have a new motor fitted and then sell with two year warranty on the motor, or have new motor fitted and keep...

What would you do... ?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Basically what I'm asking is, is it worth more with new motor or as it is now, allowing for the new motor cost etc...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can you get it fixed ? I think these peeps do e8000's :

You already have it priced at a giveaway price for what looks like a stunning bike .. take £1000 off that for a new motor and it might be worth more for parts ? Must be people with broken frames for example.

Pay £1000 for a motor and is it worth any more than you have it up for now ? Might be more tempting for a buyer as it has a new motor with 2 year warranty, so could sell easier - but is it "worth" more ????

Maybe put a new motor in - get an EP8 RS badge made up. Add some stickers .. sell it for £15,000 as an Orbea Rise Custom Turbo with in built range extender.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Can you get it fixed ? I think these peeps do e8000's :

You already have it priced at a giveaway price for what looks like a stunning bike .. take £1000 off that for a new motor and it might be worth more for parts ? Must be people with broken frames for example.

Pay £1000 for a motor and is it worth any more than you have it up for now ? Might be more tempting for a buyer as it has a new motor with 2 year warranty, so could sell easier - but is it "worth" more ????

Maybe put a new motor in - get an EP8 RS badge made up. Add some stickers .. sell it for £15,000 as an Orbea Rise Custom Turbo with in built range extender.

Well initially the price was lower to reflect it being out of warranty and the motor being a bit noisier, then it got really noisy which is why I had it looked at today.

I think it would be worth high £2ks with a new motor, maybe £1500 as it is... ?

I like your last idea, get it resprayed coal blue as well, I did mention to the shop about the EP8... ?

Shimano do have motors available though which is good.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Gary you're very experienced at breaking Shimano motors. If you buy a new one, is the warranty transferable ? I guess all the "parts" should have standard warranties which would be transferable ... But then it's a guess, which means it could be wrong :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
it's not transferred. But there's a 2yr warranty on a new shimano motor.
So if he was going for an option like that, if he wanted to sell it with a "new motor" he'd be better selling it as is but "with a new motor" and setting it up for the buyer to receive the new motor which he pays for ? So the buyer gets the warranty ?

Or basically selling it with a knackered motor, but the buyer knowing they have to put a new one in and him having one lined up for them ?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Well if the warranty can't be transferred to a new owner then I'll probably sell it as is, obviously cheap to reflect the shagged motor.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I feel really bad now as I sold my e8000 bike eons ago thinking the motor was probably going to pack up, but thinking the new owner would just get it sorted on the Shimano warranty ... MERD !

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I feel really bad now as I sold my e8000 bike eons ago thinking the motor was probably going to pack up, but thinking the new owner would just get it sorted on the Shimano warranty ... MERD !

Is the warranty not transferable on just replacement motors though?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There's nothing to stop you having your motor warrantied within the two year warranty period. Even if it's been used in the bike you sold to someone else. ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's interesting though. I always assumed that whilst most bike warranties aren't transferable, the components at least would still be legally covered by their warranties .. So I guess not !

No wonder every company wants everyone to sell their bike in the first 6 months and upgrade to a new one ... ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dude. You generally just need to prove date of purchase. This is more often than not (for components) just a nameless sales receipt.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Tricky one as I think the OG Jam like yours is a great bike, and theirs nothing that similar out there now, except maybe an Orbea Rise.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Selling a thing as-is with a broken major component is going to be tough, as it will scare off a lot of potential buyers who don't have:

1) Knowledge of how fixable the defect is...
2) Knowledge of parts/labor availability...
3) Confidence they aren't being conned into a money pit, or worse... a worthless dead-end.

You will only get interest from those who know it can be fixed. Who also know that people of their ilk are fairly rare, and so will drive a hard bargain.

I know you're trying to look-out for the best interests of your buyer... but this is the reality of a market for a product that appeals to a general audience.

Even if you try to make clear in your advertisement that you are a conscientious masochist that will either hand-hold or outright manage the motor sourcing/replacement for the eventual purchaser for the purpose of having them as the warrantee holder... a lot of people will misread your good intentions with suspicion, and wonder just how fragile the motor is if you're so hellbent on getting a warranty for them.

It surely isn't the optimized outcome, but I would just fix the eMTB and sell it without a transferrable warranty but instead actually imbue the general-market purchaser with more peace-of-mind than otherwise (!)

Alternatively, maybe you can 1) discuss your situation with whichever chummy LBS is getting the replacement motor for you so that they can (probably in violation of something) back-adjust the purchaser-of-record, and then 2) advertise/sell your eMTB as having a newly-replaced motor... but in the course of negotiations let them know how they will have a full warranty because of your special arrangement with the LBS.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
The 'transferring' of the warranty seems a bit of a hassle to me, especially if the buyer isn't local. I don't have a good enough relationship with the lbs to do that either unfortunately.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles