New homemade 2019 levo crud cover

irinotecan

Sep 24, 2018
New York
After receiving the 2019 levo expert bike about a month ago, I have spent a lot of time worrying (perhaps needlessly) about the integrity of the motor with all the crud coming in from behind. Mine arrived with the sponge, so I don't think a lot was getting in there, but this was a big investment, and I would prefer to keep it on the trails rather than at the shop. I have seen all the homemade fixes on these forums and was prepared to use one of them until I saw this product:

Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape | Gorilla Glue

This is a waterproof, flexible, very thick adhesive tape. The adhesive seems to be extremely powerful. I removed the bolt holding the chainstay on the frame, and exposed the underside, and cut a piece of tape the size of the rectangle I marked. pre and post images attached. The finished product is almost undetectable.

pre patch.jpg post patch.jpg finished.jpg

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
Only problem i see is the crud fills in the space from the top and that will keep the water and crud from droping thru and the water will run into motor unless I am missing something. The crud that fills the small gap is from the tires not splashing up from underneath

irinotecan

Sep 24, 2018
New York
Only problem i see is the crud fills in the space from the top and that will keep the water and crud from droping thru and the water will run into motor unless I am missing something. The crud that fills the small gap is from the tires not splashing up from underneath

Unfortunately, that seems to be a natural collecting place for mud, since the space is very tight. The tape only narrows the space by 1 mm, and should hopefully stay watertight. I can only hope it will work. I'll post an update once the weather is a little less bitter.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Unfortunately, that seems to be a natural collecting place for mud, since the space is very tight. The tape only narrows the space by 1 mm, and should hopefully stay watertight. I can only hope it will work. I'll post an update once the weather is a little less bitter.
From my point of view this should work as it’s tape on top of the sponge. (protection on protection) Next to that if a little water ends up behind the cover it will drain out via the bottom drain hole in the cover. You are also able to buy this tape in clear/invisible version.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles