New 2023 Rise..

Wilonrs

Jun 9, 2022
Krakow, Poland
Check out rear triangle. If photos are accurate there is no space between seatstay's end and link so you won't be abble to mullet it. As an owner of 2021 rise I hope for a retrofit of new 360 battery :)

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Interesting bike. I too as an owner of a Carbon m10 let out a sigh of relief... nice update but not an overhaul meaning the geo and basic premise meets the approval of the marketplace for at least the next few years. Yes, just reaffirms your purchase was a good one! As for the battery, it would be nice to retrofit to the larger battery, but the extender is a better option if you want to save the weight. Wondering if by any chance the bike can be retrofit to the new display and button? I'm thinking not, but it's not a deal breaker. So overall, I'm happy with their changes and will look forward to another ride this weekend.

Wilonrs

Jun 9, 2022
Krakow, Poland
Can share this photo?
Checked in Rob's videos. I was wrong. Should be ok :)

IMG_58832C49B090-1.jpeg

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Interesting bike. I too as an owner of a Carbon m10 let out a sigh of relief... nice update but not an overhaul meaning the geo and basic premise meets the approval of the marketplace for at least the next few years. Yes, just reaffirms your purchase was a good one! As for the battery, it would be nice to retrofit to the larger battery, but the extender is a better option if you want to save the weight. Wondering if by any chance the bike can be retrofit to the new display and button? I'm thinking not, but it's not a deal breaker. So overall, I'm happy with their changes and will look forward to another ride this weekend.
The new motor includes the EN600 wireless control, which has allowed the Orbea engineering team to remove the old LED reader, which was situated on the brake hose. This remote contains the power button, allowing Orbea to remove it from the frame and thereby improve seat post insertion. As usual, the Rise platform continues to enjoy the RS Garmin IQ app, developed by Orbea. This app allows riders to display typical e-bike data, such as battery or assistance mode, on a Garmin device without the need for a specific display.
Think I got my answer.... the new motor has the en600 wiresless control...

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
The new motor includes the EN600 wireless control, which has allowed the Orbea engineering team to remove the old LED reader, which was situated on the brake hose. This remote contains the power button, allowing Orbea to remove it from the frame and thereby improve seat post insertion. As usual, the Rise platform continues to enjoy the RS Garmin IQ app, developed by Orbea. This app allows riders to display typical e-bike data, such as battery or assistance mode, on a Garmin device without the need for a specific display.
Think I got my answer.... the new motor has the en600 wiresless control...

DISCOVER EP801 SERIES​

The lightweight and intelligent EP8 (EP801) e-MTB system offers controllable high-performance power to provide a natural ride feeling on the trails. EP801 is optimized to work with our electronic shifting platform. The versatile and powerful SHIMANO EP8 e-bike system can be found on a wide range of brands and models. Click on a component to learn more.​

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Check out rear triangle. If photos are accurate there is no space between seatstay's end and link so you won't be abble to mullet it. As an owner of 2021 rise I hope for a retrofit of new 360 battery :)
Me too - I will take the 360 + 252 add on given how much time I dont have to ride.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
As usual, the Rise platform continues to enjoy the RS Garmin IQ app, developed by Orbea. This app allows riders to display typical e-bike data, such as battery or assistance mode, on a Garmin device without the need for a specific display.
"Enjoy"... other brands use ANT+ LEV profile and let the rider decide what bike computer they would like to enjoy. That's what upset me the most that Orbea/Shimano still forces the biker to use a specific brand in order to get proper data from the bike. Imo a shame they still do this. But maybe they will learn from other brands in the end I hope.

Last edited:

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I'm sad the carbon comes with a 540w as it's the only reason I bought alloy. I shouldn't have trusted the dealer who swore blind that they would never put a 540 in the carbon as it violated the principle of the rise. Makes the hydro model totally redundant except for being cheaper. Oh well still a great bike.

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
Hmm, to me in Robs video the downtube looks a bit wider. Same wide size as old H models? Could be so the 540 battery is the same as delivered in 2022 H model.

Micael

Feb 11, 2021
Portugal
Orbea says the 360wh battery is 900g lighter than the 540wh, and they also say that the 360wh is 1900g, that would put the 540wh battery at roughly the same weight as they had previously disclosed. So yeah the 540wh battery is almost certainly the same now as it was in previous models, especially given the retro-compatibility of the new 360wh with the old Orbea Rise aluminium bikes.
The new carbon orbea with the 540wh battery should be about 1.2kg lighter than an equivalently equiped aluminium orbea.

Differences as far as I could see (some maybe wrong):

• Carbon frame now at around 2.2kg for medium size.
  • Carbon frame has new linkage, 2 connections instead of 3, stiffer and lighter with the option to fit some orbea multi tool gimmick.
  • Both frames now allow the option of the 360wh or 540wh battery, and the old aluminium frames allow for the new 360wh battery.
  • 360wh battery is now 300g lighter than previous version, and the weight is closer to the engine it has better weight distribution (makes it easier to lift the front).
  • Carbon frame no longer has cables coming out the front, cables now come out at around the stem.
  • More resilient bearing close to the stem, so that it doesn't have to be replaced as frequently, given it will be a lot more work to do so now.
  • Carbon version now has fast charging and the charging port cover, is the same as the aluminium version.
  • Carbon frame no longer has a turn on button, it is now turned on through the new controller (maybe the aluminium also, but haven't found info on this and haven't seen pictures of the aluminium versions).
  • Carbon version now comes with EP801 motor, essentially an EP8 with some support for automatic shifting of di2, and some other small features like more than a predefined number of custom power assist modes, roughly same weight, same power (also still limited to 60nm by the RS firmware).
  • Aluminium frames come with the EP601 motor, an EP801 motor that is 300g heavier because it ditched the magnesium body for aluminium, the exception to this is the H10 version which has the EP801.
  • Carbon versions now 400€ more expensive, except the M10 which is 200€ more expensive.
  • Aluminium versions, cheaper, but also more poorly equipped.
  • Aluminium version H15 replaced by H20.
  • Carbon frames have new colours.
  • Higher end models now come with orbea own branded wheels that they launched a month or two ago.
  • Carbon versions no longer come with the led dongle thing on the cable, they now have a shimano EN600-L
  • Aluminium versions no longer comes with a SC-E7000 display by default ( EN600 screen can be added, but it's an extra), and the E7000 control unit has been replaced with the EN600-L.
  • They no longer equip e*thirteen cranks, I assume due to all the issues these caused with Shimano motors.

Think that about covers most of the changes, although I'm sure there are a few more that I missed.

Last edited:

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I've been to Orbea's website and it appears that it is only the M-LTD that has the 540 as an option. The M-team and M20 (no M10 now) only have the 360 as an option. With the bigger battery it's knocking on $12k, so maybe it's not so bad after all. Ha.

edit: I have been corrected on this, I was looking at 2022.

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
I've been to Orbea's website and it appears that it is only the M-LTD that has the 540 as an option. The M-team and M20 (no M10 now) only have the 360 as an option. With the bigger battery it's knocking on $12k, so maybe it's not so bad after all. Ha.
At first I thought that was the case too. But scroll down the list of Rise models and you will see the 2023 models. The first models in the list are 2022 with the 2023 (and the optional battery) following. They are all there.

Wooders

Mar 28, 2019
Oxford
If you're looking at the US site, I don't think they've updated the pages for the M20 and M-Team yet, they are still showing the 2022 models (they both still have power buttons on the seat tubes).

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
If you're looking at the US site, I don't think they've updated the pages for the M20 and M-Team yet, they are still showing the 2022 models (they both still have power buttons on the seat tubes).
The US site shows all the 2022 and 2023 models along with the larger battery option. As of today anyway, 12/01.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
It would be nice to know how many of the new stuff can be fitted on the older carbon versions. Especially a stiffer rear and would be nice, but also if the new 504wh battery can be fitted to 2021 frame. I doubt it, but it would be super nice.
The SW-EN600 is supposed to be wireless? I don't trust that info, looks like there is at least option for cable on the 3d render from shimano.

Micael

Feb 11, 2021
Portugal
It would be nice to know how many of the new stuff can be fitted on the older carbon versions. Especially a stiffer rear and would be nice, but also if the new 504wh battery can be fitted to 2021 frame. I doubt it, but it would be super nice.
The SW-EN600 is supposed to be wireless? I don't trust that info, looks like there is at least option for cable on the 3d render from shimano.

The cable connects to the screen if it is present. Although yeah a quick search and I didn't find information on how it is powered, if it's by some rechargeable battery, or by actual batteries like the Bosch older stuff.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
The cable connects to the screen if it is present. Although yeah a quick search and I didn't find information on how it is powered, if it's by some rechargeable battery, or by actual batteries like the Bosch older stuff.
I'm thinking the wireless bit talked about is the bluetooth and ant connectivity features maybe, and not wireless connect to the bike (?)

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
EP801 is 100 grams heavier then old EP8.

And the new motor supports 600 W. Will be interesting if the RS version of 801 is raised from 350W to 400W?!

EP801, 2.7 kg, 85Nm, 600W (RS version 60Nm, ? W)
EP8, just below 2.6 kg, 85Nm, 500W, (RS version 60Nm, 350W)

540Wh battery same as old H version. New wider 360Wh battery with new cells (lighter). New wider down tube on carbon frame same as old H.

Last edited:

Micael

Feb 11, 2021
Portugal
What’s the weight difference between a carbon and an alloy frame?

It should be about 1.2kg, given Orbea says their size M carbon frame is now 2.2kg, and that they claimed previously that 3.4kg to be the weight of the aluminium frame.

I'm thinking the wireless bit talked about is the bluetooth and ant connectivity features maybe, and not wireless connect to the bike (?)

Everything I saw indicates that it is wirelessly connected to the bike, haven't seen a cable coming out of it, and all the talk about it replacing the power button seems to indicate that as well, could be wrong but for example here I can't see a cable coming out of it.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
It should be about 1.2kg, given Orbea says their size M carbon frame is now 2.2kg, and that they claimed previously that 3.4kg to be the weight of the aluminium frame.

Everything I saw indicates that it is wirelessly connected to the bike, haven't seen a cable coming out of it, and all the talk about it replacing the power button seems to indicate that as well, could be wrong but for example here I can't see a cable coming out of it.
Maybe it is really WL, but I think it's odd considering it's supposed to power on the bike. That means the motor has to be constantly connected and listening to for an on command. The Shimano own website doesn't have proper documentation for the unit (although I could have missed it since it's always hard to find anything on that mess of a website). I was looking for information about how to pair it with the motor, since there must be a process if it actually is wireless.
I was interested in seeing if it was compatible with the EP800 motor but per usual the Shimano website is a useless mess.

Edit: I think the reason we don't see the wire is because it goes inside the bar.
Look here:
1669989574578.png

Last edited:

MAster

Nov 6, 2022
Germany
As a mechanical engineer I can not see any constructive reasons, why the new linkage should make a reasonable change in stiffness. In my opinion, for this it would have been necessary to have a bridge between the both upper chain stays. It will be interesting to see the blue paper which bearing size they have used. Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles