Need advice on post hip surgery

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Hi
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place but note sure where to put.
Anyway I've been ebiking for the past 2 years plus and just love it. I'm 74 and got into it to help with my post knee surgery recovery and was brilliantly successful, I have completed close on 3000 miles.
Sadly I've been told I need hip replacement surgery and the operation is scheduled for the end of February.
So, are there any members out there that have gone/done this path and if so would love to learn about their post operation experience in getting back on their bike.
Things like;
Ability against time
Getting your leg over(Cross bar)
Any discomfort.
In fact any issues good or bad
Feedback would be much appreciated
Geoff

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not me thankfully but my wife had a hip replacement. It certainly resolved her pain but regaining full use took a while a fter the operation. The issue is the time required to repair muscle tissue and regain muscle strength. So initial problems were getting on the bike whereas actual cycling was no problem within a few weeks. I resolved the problems she had lifting her leg enough to get on the bike by fitting a dropper post ( she has a Cube Access hardtail) and showing her how to lean the bike towards her to lower the height needed. She is not a hardcore MTBer but fully happy on fireroads/gravel/smooth singletrack, none of which requires her to stand on the pedals.

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Thank you for your reply. Hadn't thought of fitting a dropper post, good idea.
Can you remember how long it took your wife to recover full fitness

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Forgot to ask. I have a cube hybrid pro 2020 model can you recommend a suitable dropper, thx

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Yeah, you need a dropper post

I was riding in a bike trail in 4-5 weeks, mountain biking 2 months.

Fitness came back quickly.

Riding at same level.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Forgot to ask. I have a cube hybrid pro 2020 model can you recommend a suitable dropper, thx
I agree 100% with the advice to get a dropper. Not only does it make it easier to mount the bike, but it will transform your ride over rougher stuff. :love:

The Brand-X-Ascend ii dropper seat post is a high performing long lasting dropper that is unbelievably cheap. I wouldn't buy one at first because it was so cheap, despite the rave reviews. I bought one for my grandson's bike build and despite him abusing it and never maintaining it, it lasted several years before being sold with the bike.

Here is a link to one on the CRC website, (where I bought one), but have a look around to see if you can get one cheaper. When the link opens, use the arrows on the image to page right. At about image no 6 you will see a diagram. Measure your seat tube and use the diagram to decide which post you need (diameter, length, size).

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Yeah, you need a dropper post

I was riding in a bike trail in 4-5 weeks, mountain biking 2 months.

Fitness came back quickly.

Riding at same level.
Thx this really encouraging. Missing my bike soooo much

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
I agree 100% with the advice to get a dropper. Not only does it make it easier to mount the bike, but it will transform your ride over rougher stuff. :love:

The Brand-X-Ascend ii dropper seat post is a high performing long lasting dropper that is unbelievably cheap. I wouldn't buy one at first because it was so cheap, despite the rave reviews. I bought one for my grandson's bike build and despite him abusing it and never maintaining it, it lasted several years before being sold with the bike.

Here is a link to one on the CRC website, (where I bought one), but have a look around to see if you can get one cheaper. When the link opens, use the arrows on the image to page right. At about image no 6 you will see a diagram. Measure your seat tube and use the diagram to decide which post you need (diameter, length, size).

Good recommendation thank you

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
...........just to add to the above..............it was a brand x dropper I bought for my wife's bike. There are 2 types once you pick the right seat tube diameter and dropper length, and that is "stealth" ( ie the cable needs to be fed through the frame) or external routing. Given its a hardtail I chose the external routing which made fitting the dropper post quite literally a 5 minute job. I used 4 self adhesive cable ties to route the cable. Some say they just fall off but that need not be the case if you fit them properly. So after deciding where to position them, use some Isopropyl alcohol to clean the frame where you intend to stick each one, apply them and leave for a day for the glue to fully set before routing the cable through them. They have been on my wife's bike for 2 years now and none have come unstuck.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thank you for your reply. Hadn't thought of fitting a dropper post, good idea.
Can you remember how long it took your wife to recover full fitness
depends what you mean by full fitness really...............keep in mind she was 67 when the operation was done, she rides a horse and rides the bike so no couch potato but not an athlete either!!She was riding both the bike and horse riding within a month. Regaining full flexibility and strength in the leg took a lot longer...maybe 6 months.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I had a hip Arthroscopy in Oct 2020, still recovering.
what I did find is mountain biking is not good for it(or it wasn't in 2021, and even last year) it used to feel like on the way up to the top everything would feel loosened off and I was getting a workout, but then coming downhill stood up on the pedals taking direct impacts to the hip joint would undo all of that and it would hurt for days.
I got an e-road bike in 2021 and rode that mainly last year as it is enjoyable but doesn't hurt for days afterwards.
this year it does feel like it's improving so hopefully I'll get some more mountain biking done

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread.
There has been good positive advice and practical suggestions to ease my recovery. Now looking forward with a very positive frame of mind.
Geoff

milkandrelish

Nov 29, 2022
Arcata, CA
I had surgery on both hips, and I hopped back on a bike 3 months after the 2nd surgery. Like an idiot, I overdid it and had to wait another year to get on a bike comfortably.

Still, I can only ride with a dropper and with a motor! You'll recover relatively quickly, just go SLOW.

Dave G

Subscriber
Sep 25, 2022
Sheffield Uk
Hi
Anyway I've been ebiking for the past 2 years plus and just love it. I'm 74 and got into it to help with my post knee surgery recovery and was brilliantly successful, I have completed close on 3000 miles.
Sadly I've been told I need hip replacement surgery and the operation is scheduled for the end of February.
So, are there any members out there that have gone/done this path and if so would love to learn about their post operation experience in getting back on their bike.
Things like;
Ability against time
Any discomfort.
Geoff
Hi Geoff,
Yes I had hip replacement in 2018 and borrowed a static bike from my brother in law to get myself back into cycling. Raised the seat and took it steady for a couple of weeks, gradually building up the time. I think it was 2 months before I got back on my road bike to start with, then back on my MTB once I was confident I would not have any problems. I came off the MTB some 6 months later but was fine. I'm 68 and will be having a knee replaced at the end of March so will be keen to get back on the bike as soon as, but I gather knees take longer to recover from?
Regards,
Dave

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Hi Dave
Thanks for this, very heart warming.
I had partial knee replacement surgery 3 years ago and it was that that got me back into cycling as part of my recovery.
Do the exercises and slowly does it with the bike.
I wish you well
Geoff

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Hi
Things like;
Ability against time
Any discomfort.
Geoff
I had the same bike as you and fitted the 150mm Brand X dropper and it transforms the bike.
My brother had a hip replacement a couple of years ago and took it easy for the first year but is now back playing tennis and skiing. Keep going!

Gil

Feb 11, 2023
New Zealand
Hi
Things like;
Ability against time
Any discomfort.
Geoff

Gil

Feb 11, 2023
New Zealand
I had a hip replacement 25 years ago, now 80 . I have been riding e-bikes for past 10 years , currently ride Specialized Levo expert, average 4000 km a year , gave up snow skiing 2 years ago , still no problems.
Good advice being posted for you . I would endorse take your recover slowly , you will feel you can do more, but don’t. Muscles take a while to get strength and flexibility back ,think of your age ,but don’t stop . Dropper seat and stationary bike are good suggestions, especially dropper. You will have some discomfort for a few months following the replacement, that’s more likely some muscles doing things they have’nt done for a long time . All the best Gil

Bhutanbob

May 1, 2022
Tasmania
Recovery depends on the person, their prior fitness, pain tolerance and the surgical technique used. I had a hip replaced in March 2021. I was a avid hiker, runner, road and mtb' er. After my hip failed I kept fit knowing it improved surgical outcomes. My hip was replaced using the anterior approach and I had physiotherapy during initial recovery. Recovery took more than 18 months for my hip to feel right and there to be no significant discomfort post exercise. I am now back in the gym to build more strength. I wasn't allowed on a mtb for at least 3 months due to risk of damaging the hip if you fall and require a second hip which is never as successful. You can usually walk after 4-6 weeks without crutches, ride a stationary bike or a road bike after 10 weeks. But its takes a while to fully recover, as others have said, take it slow and don't over do it. It will hurt and slow your recovery if you do. I am on this forum as my surgeon highly recommended getting an emtb to take the pressure off the hip, even after you are recovered, a new hip won't last for ever, especially if you are active. All my mtbs have a dropper, two with the Brand X one. It helps to drop the post when stopping. And also get flat pedals plus good mtb shoes if riding all mountain or enduro trails especially. Getting out of clippless pedals fast may hurt weak knees and hips. Good luck with your op.

Dave G

Subscriber
Sep 25, 2022
Sheffield Uk
Hi Dave
Thanks for this, very heart warming.
I had partial knee replacement surgery 3 years ago and it was that that got me back into cycling as part of my recovery.
Do the exercises and slowly does it with the bike.
I wish you well
Geoff
👍😊

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Recovery depends on the person, their prior fitness, pain tolerance and the surgical technique used. I had a hip replaced in March 2021. I was a avid hiker, runner, road and mtb' er. After my hip failed I kept fit knowing it improved surgical outcomes. My hip was replaced using the anterior approach and I had physiotherapy during initial recovery. Recovery took more than 18 months for my hip to feel right and there to be no significant discomfort post exercise. I am now back in the gym to build more strength. I wasn't allowed on a mtb for at least 3 months due to risk of damaging the hip if you fall and require a second hip which is never as successful. You can usually walk after 4-6 weeks without crutches, ride a stationary bike or a road bike after 10 weeks. But its takes a while to fully recover, as others have said, take it slow and don't over do it. It will hurt and slow your recovery if you do. I am on this forum as my surgeon highly recommended getting an emtb to take the pressure off the hip, even after you are recovered, a new hip won't last for ever, especially if you are active. All my mtbs have a dropper, two with the Brand X one. It helps to drop the post when stopping. And also get flat pedals plus good mtb shoes if riding all mountain or enduro trails especially. Getting out of clippless pedals fast may hurt weak knees and hips. Good luck with your op.
I think the advice you got was too conservative. I walked without crutches in a couple of weeks, rode on tell in 6 weeks, mountain bike in 2 1/2 months.

Felt really good in 6 months skiing

Bhutanbob

May 1, 2022
Tasmania
I think the advice you got was too conservative. I walked without crutches in a couple of weeks, rode on tell in 6 weeks, mountain bike in 2 1/2 months.

Felt really good in 6 months skiing
There you go, every person is different! In my case it was expert advice from experienced professionals and the timing was my actual experience.

Last edited:

Oldcreaky

Feb 8, 2019
Bristol
Hi
Things like;
Ability against time
Any discomfort.
Geoff
Hi,
Had full left hip replacement on 14th January so nearly 5 weeks post op i am 72 and had been suffering with arthritis for some years getting gradually worst., till the pain stopped me from riding in June 2022. I finally took the plunge and paid privately for the op not wanting to waste another 3 to 4 years waiting for the NHS, this was after buying a Giant Reign e+1 so the bank balance now looking a bit dodgy. when i purchased the bike in Dec 2021 the pain was under control but got more severe very quickly.
Recovery is well on the way and i am sticking to the exercises that the experts have given me, there have been small landmarks on the way like now only needing one crutch. The main point that has always been made is that it is far better not to rush recovery and push ahead and end up with some long term condition of course this very much an individual
choice depending on age, fitness and severity of the problem . The advice i have had from the hospital is that cycling should be one of the last pastimes to be started after 12 weeks a static bike a bit earlier. At the moment this seems reasonable but hopefully i can shorten the time scale if things improve quicker.
My knee has always been the problem pain wise and still is although improving but at least my left foot is now pointing straight ahead not out to the side as it was pre op.
Good luck to all those with these sorts of problems and make sure to not over do the recovery, i think your body tells you when it is time for the next stage so listen to it.

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Thanks for your reply
A very interesting read.
My problems started early Dec last year. Had no issues biking but the next day was awful. Had an x-ray and left hip shot, bone on bone.
Like you decided to go private, did have a date for the op 28th Feb but had to be put back 2 weeks to allow my rbc levels to recover from some medication the doc gave me, thanks doc.
Anyway all set for mid March.
The common thread here is don't rush the recovery

Oldcreaky

Feb 8, 2019
Bristol
Oh and having a dropper post fitted as we speak
Hi,
The last time i rode the bike was to collect a warranty exchange battery from the Bristol Giant shop just before their big refurbishment so no off road antics all cycle path and road, no problems there or back but in agony the next day could not put any pressure on left leg to get on bike even with dropper. I now have a battery with zero cycles on it.
Unlike yourself my problems started a few years ago and gradually became worse, started with one day recovery between rides and went to riding once a weekend. At first i was sure it was my knee causing the problem as i still have metal under the knee cap from a motorcycle accident in 1987. I eventually went to the doctors and had xrays which showed my knee was ok but the hip had severe arthritis and the pain and weakness was caused by referred pain from the hip.
Due to being a diabetic i had to wait a few weeks to bring my blood sugar down to a level where they could operate as high sugars restricts wound healing but since i have maintained a lower level so that's a bonus for general health.
Are you having a general or like myself nerve block and sedative it seemed to work as i was only in for one night and it probably kept the cost down as well.
Good luck with the op, remember its the start of pain free riding.

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Interesting, did you have ot done at Emersons Green? I'm having a spinal block with sedation.
Sounds like you rushed it abit getting on the bike

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
At the moment trying to kept some bike fitness by using a static trainer. It seems to help keeping me moving.
Interesting about your refered pain to the knee.
I had patella resurfacing done 3 years ago and took up ebiking to aid recovery.
Last summer I noted some anterior knee pain and thought the kneecap was giving up but x-ray showed all well, so hoping like you it's referred pain

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Hi,
The last time i rode the bike was to collect a warranty exchange battery from the Bristol Giant shop just before their big refurbishment so no off road antics all cycle path and road, no problems there or back but in agony the next day could not put any pressure on left leg to get on bike even with dropper. I now have a battery with zero cycles on it.
Unlike yourself my problems started a few years ago and gradually became worse, started with one day recovery between rides and went to riding once a weekend. At first i was sure it was my knee causing the problem as i still have metal under the knee cap from a motorcycle accident in 1987. I eventually went to the doctors and had xrays which showed my knee was ok but the hip had severe arthritis and the pain and weakness was caused by referred pain from the hip.
Due to being a diabetic i had to wait a few weeks to bring my blood sugar down to a level where they could operate as high sugars restricts wound healing but since i have maintained a lower level so that's a bonus for general health.
Are you having a general or like myself nerve block and sedative it seemed to work as i was only in for one night and it probably kept the cost down as well.
Good luck with the op, remember its the start of pain free riding.
Sorry misunderstood about the last time you rode your bike, this was pre op

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles