Total Hip Replacement and Riding

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I am scheduled for a total hip replacement surgery at the age of 51. Doctor says I’ve trashed my hip with all the abuse over the years. My question is, for those of you that have had a hip replacement, how long until you were back on the bike at full strength? Thanks for any feedback.

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Hope the surgery and recovery go well! Keep us posted on how it works out, please. I need one too, but my doctor says I'm too young (57).

Thank god for emtb's! :D

Cheers

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Hope the surgery and recovery go well! Keep us posted on how it works out, please. I need one too, but my doctor says I'm too young (57).

Thank god for emtb's! :D

Cheers

I will definitely provide an update. If your doctor says you are too Young at 57, then my hip must be really messed up as I am only 51. I had 3 separate consultations, one with one of my brother’s best friends, and all 3 said I need surgery and my hip is trashed.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
A buddy of mine has had both hips replaced and rides 2-4 times a week. I don’t know how long the recovery was …but now he’s always searching for Sarah Conner in a white Jeep. 😉

“You’ll be Back”!
This is what I want to hear; well, that and that the recovery is quick. It’ll be nice to ride without pain.

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
I will definitely provide an update. If your doctor says you are too Young at 57, then my hip must be really messed up as I am only 51. I had 3 separate consultations, one with one of my brother’s best friends, and all 3 said I need surgery and my hip is trashed.
Can't say I fully disagree with my doctor's assessment after doing some research, but it sure would be nice to not be in pain.

Enjoy the bionic hip! Like Steve Austin! (Maybe you're too young to remember him:LOL:).

Cheers

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Anterior surgical approach, two months to be back on the trails. Posterior surgical approach six months and lots of pain and PT following surgery. Anterior approach was the only way to go for me, having both hips replaced two years apart simply because one lasted longer than the other. Like you, been in sports all my life and trashed both of them with falls on the hips in ice hockey/football in school years, and mountain biking later in life.
Riding stationary bike two days after surgery and back on the mtn bike in one week but limited to conservative road riding only. Could've been on the trails but the surgeon made me wait two months to let the bone start growing into the prosthesis. No limitations after two months.
Minimal discomfort with the anterior approach. Not every orthopedic surgeon uses this however, requires extra training. No muscles are cut. Key thing is to pick a surgeon who gets the best outcomes and the physical therapists know who these are. This is because they treat all the patients after surgery to get them moving again. Their recommendation is key.

Last edited:

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
I am scheduled for a total hip replacement surgery at the age of 51. Doctor says I’ve trashed my hip with all the abuse over the years. My question is, for those of you that have had a hip replacement, how long until you were back on the bike at full strength? Thanks for any feedback.
3 1/2 months to riding at previous level

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Anterior surgical approach, two months to be back on the trails. Posterior surgical approach six months and lots of pain and PT following surgery. Anterior approach was the only way to go for me, having both hips replaced two years apart simply because one lasted longer than the other. Like you, been in sports all my life and trashed both of them with falls on the hips in ice hockey/football in school years, and mountain biking later in life.
Riding stationary bike two days after surgery and back on the mtn bike in one week but limited to conservative road riding only. Could've been on the trails but the surgeon made me wait two months to let the bone start growing into the prosthesis. No limitations after two months.
Minimal discomfort with the anterior approach. Not every orthopedic surgeon uses this however, requires extra training. No muscles are cut. Key thing is to pick a surgeon who gets the best outcomes and the physical therapists know who these are. This is because they treat all the patients after surgery to get them moving again. Their recommendation is key.
I REALLY appreciate all the info.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My mate was only about 8 weeks I seem to remember.

CoreyB

Sep 22, 2020
Oregon
I had my right hip replaced after a bad crash that broke my hip. Went for about 6 months with a bracket to try and get the bone to heal, but the blood supply was damaged and the hip joint was never going to repair. So...6 months of a cane and pain. Then I had a hip replacement in Feb (anterior approach) and was walking without any discomfort that evening. I probably could've been back on the bike after a couple months, but waited until the surgeon gave me the full go ahead to be safe at 4 months. There is zero pain or discomfort post hip replacement in anything I do including riding or hiking, but honestly I just get a smile on my face when I stand up and am able to walk without any pain! I probably won't ever ride like I did, but I'm knocking on 60's door and it's probably pragmatic to start to adjust the things I do to a 'safer' level of fun. Anyway, don't fear the procedure, but be sure to do your research and get a great surgeon.

LawPrawf

Jul 29, 2021
Southern California
Anterior surgery for me and eight weeks of rehab before getting back to mountain biking. The hardest part wasn’t physical — I was completely pain free by then — but mental. I was so fixated on not crashing on my new hip that it took a few weeks before I was comfortable again on the bike.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Btw, I'm 74 and a year after the hip replacement.
I'm riding and skiing at the same level as before, actually skiing better

And my knee pain, same leg, totally gone.

Before the surgery, i had zero internal rotation in my femur, so all rotation happened in the knee which caused a lot of pain.

Now i have normal internal rotation and no more knee pain.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
There are many variables that go into that answer. I’m a sports therapist I rehab people from surgeries all tbe tkme and in general hips are a straight forward procedure and heal very well. If you go into the surgery in good shape plus or minus 5 lbs of an ideal weight and eat well you’ll recover and be back on the bike in 90 days or before. Full strength will take up to 6 months with consistent training and PT. I recommend a product called Sinnec it’s an arnica formula that speeds up the healing process by limiting inflammation and secondary trauma.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
There are many variables that go into that answer. I’m a sports therapist I rehab people from surgeries all tbe tkme and in general hips are a straight forward procedure and heal very well. If you go into the surgery in good shape plus or minus 5 lbs of an ideal weight and eat well you’ll recover and be back on the bike in 90 days or before. Full strength will take up to 6 months with consistent training and PT. I recommend a product called Sinnec it’s an arnica formula that speeds up the healing process by limiting inflammation and secondary trauma.

thank you and everyone else for the info. I am hearing a lot of people recommending anterior. My doctor is planning on lateral; this now has me a little concerned. I like the doctor, but should I be looking for someone that does anterior? Is anterior a shorter recovery time, but otherwise the end result is no different?

CoreyB

Sep 22, 2020
Oregon
thank you and everyone else for the info. I am hearing a lot of people recommending anterior. My doctor is planning on lateral; this now has me a little concerned. I like the doctor, but should I be looking for someone that does anterior? Is anterior a shorter recovery time, but otherwise the end result is no different?
I’m not familiar with a lateral procedure. I’ve heard of ‘posterior’, ‘anterior (what I had), and ‘superior’, but not lateral.

Ianz1

Apr 26, 2023
Whitianga
I have had both hips replaced after active squash into my 60's. Depends on type of prosthetic you get. I opted for the Birmingham over the usual ceramic or titanium. Some wear quicker than others, some have limitations on the range of movement. They are not all the same. The birminghan replacement resufaces the joint rather than the femor been cut and the usual spike inserted into the bone. The surgeon showed me both types. The usual type (whatever it is called) is quite a small ball at the end of the prosthetic into a small socket glued into the hip. The birmingham is the same size ball glued over your existing ball inserted into a new socket of the same size in the hip. (ie no bone cut - less complications). This seemed more natural to me as it does not restrict your movement. There are no restrictions on how to use the hip going forwards, no incidences of dislocation, of bending over and if neccessary you can still have a usual replacement later in life if that becomes neccessary (it is a lot more difficult having a second replacement if your first is the usual type). I still wanted to play squash, tennis. snow ski, ride a bike etc and although more expensive the life of the hip is double that of the usual type and the recovery time is also half. AFter 4 days in hospital I walked 4km to town without using the crutch (although I had it with me in case) 2 days after getting home. The biggest recomendation is the rehab. Do as much as you can. I was reasonably fit before the op (had the op 2 weeks after playing in the national squash masters), and although I got back on the courts quite soon after (tennis court first - no probs, but the squash took quite a while longer - whenever I changed direction quickly, my body turned, but my leg didnt move as quickly resulting in me falling over! So I think the tendons and muscles they stretched to get to the joint took a while and in that recovery time, I also very quickly lost quite a bit of muscle. I had the op 8 years ago, and am now approaching 70. I am restricted by age, more than my hips.. I play tennis more than squash now a days and while my tennis is improving, my squash is less competitive than it was. I can still climb the mast on my 38ft catamaran and I climb this solo. And of course, ride my bike to keep some level of fitness. Thats my story. 1. Depends on the type of posthetic you get. 2. Do the rehab. 3. do the rehab twice as much as you think. 4. really "interogate" your surgeon as you need to know your options and you need to know what you are getting and the limitations of the prosthetic you are getting.

Trots55

Jan 26, 2019
Oxfordshire
I had a new hip (ceramic/titanium) at 53. What really is the point of being in pain and restricted in what you can do (without painkillers) when you're young and otherwise active?
I found that using the turbo trainer was a really great way as a big part of the rehabilitation. Lots of stress free movement to aid repair and flexibility. Going out on the real bike needed to be very careful, one fall and landing on your hip would be pretty bloody awful/painful/catastrophic.
Doing lots of pre-habilitation is very important as well, recovery is much quicker afterwards. Keep fit and flexible (as best you can with the pain in the hip of course).
My op went really well and within 12 months I simply didn't think about it anymore: full range of movement, no pain, pretty much full strength. Bit of a life changer really.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
The problem is that to do an anterior you need a $250 k special table, so a lot of surgeons can't afford this, and then they say oh, posterior is better.

Ianz1

Apr 26, 2023
Whitianga
I agree with above. I have never hesitated having surgury that will enhance my life. Both achilles tendons ruptured - both hips replaced - wrist reconstruction, to name a few. I it was ok for me to play doubles tennis 2 weeks after op and bike trainer (as said, to dangerous on the road). Singles tennis, squash and road bike 4 weeks or when I felt ready. Read this brief practical explanation of types of hips: Hugh Blackley Hip Resurfacing-Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Surgery

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
One other thing that I would highly recommend. I never recovered full quadricep strength for mountain biking steep climbs/sudden step-ups because I continued a home strengthening program following post surgical PT after the surgery. I ride with a fast group so I was struggling to keep up. Finally bit the bullet and signed up at the gym for more aggressive strengthening. After most hip replacement procedures of course you can't do heavy squats or the leg press machines like forever, if you want to save those prostheses, but you can do massive workouts on the quads/calves with leg extensions/calf raises machines. Plus of course you can do quite a bit more effective strengthening of the entire upper body. Core strengthening is essential and really improved over the home program. My mountain biking speed improved significantly within weeks, and I began making it up the ultra steep, god-awful tough climbs more too. The enjoyment of each ride was also immensely improved just because I had more quadricep strength. Before, I was doing wall slides for two full minutes followed by posterior lunges in my home program that created an awful lot of suffering and I thought adequate strength, but I was wrong in hindsight. You really need those machines. Just be sure to remember not doing the squats/leg press machine. Of course, I should also mention that just in every day life including yardwork I feel more energetic after adding gym work so it's a winner any way you look at it.
Fortunately I am older/semi retired so I have time for the gym whereas when I was working full-time it was impossible. Planet fitness is a great gym and not super expensive. I agree with everyone else that it takes a full year to recover from these surgeries.
Lastly, what I have recommended here probably is not even allowed in the first year post surgery. You must discuss this with your surgeon before you try it at all. However usually after a year you are free of all restrictions except for the prohibited sports activities which are usually impact and highly repetitive ones like running, squash, etc. In other words the gym is for when you don't have any further restrictions by your surgeon.
The reason I am bringing this up is that the quality of my MTB enjoyment, but more importantly, of my entire life, has improved immensely since going back into the gym, but a full year after your surgery you might not think of even considering it since your pain is gone and you can walk around better, and that would be a mistake in my opinion.

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Hi
sorry for the late reply but i would like to add my experiance.
I am 75 and 14 weeks into post total hip surgery. I had the posterior technique and can concur the comments made of that approach , pain and recovery time. however that does not mean its a bad option, there are risks with the anterior method, hence the extra training for the surgeon. the main artery and nerve are in the way and any failure of those during surgery can be catastrophic esp the nerve, so keep that in mind when making your decision.
I dont know whether you are going private or NHS. Private opens up a lot more options for you in particular the Birmingham technique, as has been said in a prior response it keeps most of the joint in tack and is ideally suited to younger patients.
I have a neighbour who had this done on both hips many years ago, I think he was in his fifties and has never looked back, he is now in his seventies and still going strong on his bike. I don't know if this is offered on the NHS, unlikely I would think, incidentally Andy Murray has had this done, so look at him as an example. If you want to get back and do some aggressive sports this could be a good option for you but you might need deep pockets.
For me I decided to go private, I could not wait for the NHS to get their act together. There are many choices out there including going abroad. Going down the traditional Private rout i.e. Nuffield, Spire, Bupa etc I was being quoted anything between 13 and 18 K, which for me is a lot of money. I discovered the Practice Plus Group of treatment centres, they have a number of centres dotted around the country. They quoted me 10800 plus 90 gbp for the initial consultation. I live in the Cotswolds so Emmerson's green was my nearest Treatment centre. The centre ranked good by the QCC and I know two surgeons who operate there who are highly regarded. I went with a Mr Dehne and I could not be more happy with him and my new hip. I opted for the uncemented ceramic on polyethylene combination because of my active life style.
In terms of my recovery I didn't feel really confident or strong until the 12 week period at which point I started my biking and using my touring caravan again, carefully and with respect for the new joint. Just back from a 2week holiday in Devon and completed 70 miles in total on the bike. I had reactions but nothing major just had a rest day and got going again. I think the moral of the story for recovery is your body will tell you what you are ready for, push it and you run the risk a painful setback which can put you back a month or even a year. Indecently I fell off my bike while down in Devon and because I waited 14 weeks before going on the bike it was not and issue, needed help getting up but carried on my ride, no problem.
Hope you find this helpful, you can pm anytime if you want to chat further

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles