Total mindless behaviour!?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
E7E62A17-6956-4787-A370-8FB47B688E5B.jpeg
1EBD7FF5-5F81-4D29-9C5B-1195FF1C9826.jpeg
coming down my local run and some idiot had stretched rusty wire at handlebar height between two trees, it hit my gear shifter and twisted it 180 degrees round then I flew over the handlebars!luckily the wire hit the frame protection at the front of my head tube but it has cut through and scratched slightly, I’ve put my brakes and shifter back and all ok,my gx shifter doesn’t seam to be bent but the top shifter feels like it’s higher(might just be me as I don’t think you can adjust these like the xo1 ones)lucky it wasn’t at neck height I suppose as I wouldn’t be having this rant now!?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
inform the police mate.
ASAP

Glad you're ok
Cheers buddy I have??the picture where you can see it lower was after I untied it from the other tree,I’ve told the police this and gave map coordinates,proper messed with my head this as obviously I just couldn’t see it against the brown leaves,what is wrong with people!?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
seen it loads before sadly, once out riding with some friends years ago and we caught some old bloke doing stuff like this and a very angry friend of mine took his picture before telling him that if anything ever happened to us he would visit the guy and make sure it happened to him as well.. genuinely scared the old goat and i did feel sorry for him but there were loads of woods that were having nailed planks and wires on the trails at the time.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Some folk are just fucked in the head selfish arseholes. I wonder if they're just thick and don't realise the possible consequences or complete bastards!
Be good if someone catches the culprit.

Round here it's been going on for years but just logs and branches placed across the trail to block it. So nowhere near as dangerous as what's happened to you. Same (shared) trail every time. Being just a few hunderd metres from my house I worked out they're always placed across the trail by a mid day (dog?) walker. Yet to catch the prick but I still hope to one day.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
I very much hope I never catch anyone doing that. There was some poor brother on tv the other night paralysed from the neck down with that very trick.
Just might have to go all Ezekiel 25/17 on the mf.
3079B5D9-DA26-42DF-878F-8C7BBAA6BE6A.png

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Spent a week in the hospital with a concussion, broken ribs, and collar bone when I was 23, from logs placed across a frequently used trail. Like most idiots, they feel their ends justify their means.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
There are kids using these trails. I mean honestly what are they thinking!
That’s what got me an instant reply from the police (had to use police Facebook as I was on a 30min wait on phone)when I mentioned where it would of hit a child on a smaller bike and the fact that kids use it because it’s a dirt jump line,they rang to say they’ve now removed 20 metre of the wire from the scene?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Trickz If you had been killed, the Police would treat it as murder. The fact that you survived is just the luck of the draw. So they should treat this as attempted murder. But I can see why they won't do anything: nobody hurt, no witnesses etc. Go to your local newspaper, they will be interested. But you risk the local arse'oles thinking "Hey that's a good idea, lets go do it!"

There was a big run of this reported in the MBR forum a few years ago, then it all died out. I'd like to think that it was the publicity and the fact that the Police made it clear that they would charge anyone they caught doing this with attempted murder. It was generally believed that it was people who object to any two wheeled riders in "their woods". But it also affects horses and their riders. Overall it is a very dangerous action and thoroughly anti-social. People that do this generally have form in terms of objecting to riders in the woods, feel ignored and that "something must be done". So if enquiries are made, some names may pop up.

Historical angle: The French resistance used to do this to stop the German despatch riders who were on motorbikes. Those it didn't kill or severely injure rode a lot more cautiously and their important messages were delegated delayed It was a deadly tactic.

Last edited:

pavelmatic

Dec 3, 2019
Lörrach, Germany
coming down my local run and some idiot had stretched rusty wire at handlebar height between two trees, it hit my gear shifter and twisted it 180 degrees round then I flew over the handlebars!luckily the wire hit the frame protection at the front of my head tube but it has cut through and scratched slightly, I’ve put my brakes and shifter back and all ok,my gx shifter doesn’t seam to be bent but the top shifter feels like it’s higher(might just be me as I don’t think you can adjust these like the xo1 ones)lucky it wasn’t at neck height I suppose as I wouldn’t be having this rant now!?

If only think of one of my girls getting possibly hurt by something stupid like this I’m getting really mad. Glad you were lucky, it could have ended tragically.

Time for a hidden wildlife cam at that spot?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
A friend in SoCal lost his son after sierra club nutters strung wire at neck height across a wide access trail. Kevin had just bought him a full-sized trail bike (XR200 I think) for him to ride to school & play on. Sadly, whoever strung that wire got away with it but the nutters continued with the practice.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
A friend in SoCal lost his son after sierra club nutters strung wire at neck height across a wide access trail. Kevin had just bought him a full-sized trail bike (XR200 I think) for him to ride to school & play on. Sadly, whoever strung that wire got away with it but the nutters continued with the practice.
That is truly terrible,being a father of two..I can’t even try imagine his pain!??

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Why on earth would anyone do this? What's the reward?
People stop riding "their" trails - is the reward.
Ranting obsessives annoyed about the noise, walkers upset at having to share, horseriders having their psychopathic one-ton steel shod darlings upset, landowners upset at trespass infringement but can't be arsed to actually be there to catch them in the act. Need I go on?

There is one more reward for the brain-dead delinquents; doing it for a laugh! :mad:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
it's generally ONE (older) deluded self riteous NIMBY
Wow that's maximum weird & dangerous. Thinking what I'd do if I discovered someone doing that. I'd struggle not to accidentally slap them around before I called them a padded ambulance.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'd struggle not to accidentally slap them around before I called them a padded ambulance.

I think you'd really want to call for a rusty old ambulance, with no suspension, which was ideally already on a call out to help move a large collection of rusty garden tools, bowling balls and 300 kilo's of sewage which had sadly been packed in paper bags. Then accidentally send them off in the wrong direction for several miles at high speed down the bumpiest track you knew.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
My God. I've heard it's older people not kids also.

There was a guy putting sticks and logs across MTB trails in the Surrey Hills and was nicknamed stickman. Seems to have gone quiet these days but his antics were widely publicised on a Facebook group.

I honestly think it should be treated as attempted murder...I don't know what they think the best outcome could be..

pavelmatic

Dec 3, 2019
Lörrach, Germany
A couple of minutes ago I read in the newspaper that a 28 year old man was hurt last Saturday when he fell of his ebike due to a rope that was put over a bikeway in my area. No trails, nothing special, just a simple public bikeway. Another steel bar was put there for the same purpose. (n)(n)(n):poop:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I think you'd really want to call for a rusty old ambulance, with no suspension, which was ideally already on a call out to help move a large collection of rusty garden tools, bowling balls and 300 kilo's of sewage which had sadly been packed in paper bags. Then accidentally send them off in the wrong direction for several miles at high speed down the bumpiest track you knew.

Just a slight alteration to really finish them off. Instead of no suspension I would fit some Suntour coil shocks to the ambulance ?

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
View attachment 22684 View attachment 22685 coming down my local run and some idiot had stretched rusty wire at handlebar height between two trees, it hit my gear shifter and twisted it 180 degrees round then I flew over the handlebars!luckily the wire hit the frame protection at the front of my head tube but it has cut through and scratched slightly, I’ve put my brakes and shifter back and all ok,my gx shifter doesn’t seam to be bent but the top shifter feels like it’s higher(might just be me as I don’t think you can adjust these like the xo1 ones)lucky it wasn’t at neck height I suppose as I wouldn’t be having this rant now!?
F'ckn idiotic retards, this is designed to inflict bodily harm through crashing and at worst case scenario death, I've came across similar problems on trails with twats breaking and concealing class shards along trails...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Logs rolled onto trails, or at the bottom of jumps, tree branches dragged into the trails were regular occurrences at Sherwood Pines for a while.
Bottles left in the middle of the trail is another pet hate of mine. Instead of stopping to move it, I rode around it (decided I wasn't good enough to jump over it). This set me up all wrong for the drop into a bomb-hole and I landed on the side of the bomb-hole instead of the bottom. My ride was over and it took me six weeks before I could even lift my right arm out of the car window. That was about 9 years ago and I still have problems with my right shoulder.

As I was sailing through the air, I remember thinking "this is going to hurt!"

I could see the exact tree root I was going to hit and how far I was then going to fall afterwards. Funny how time seems to slow down in those circumstances, isn't it? :(:rolleyes:

Ian Burrows

Dec 5, 2019
Newbury
OMG utter madness to do such a thing. I might have missed this in the post but a location of the trail would be nice just so other rider scan be aware and keep a eye out of suspicious activity. Glad to hear you can ride another day. thumbs up to MTB freedom.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles