Advice needed!

ChrisRidge

Sep 28, 2023
me20 6el
As I have already stated, I have recently had open heart surgery to have my aortic valve replaced.
I have always been an analogue biker and currently have a Trek Roscoe 7, which I have not been on for about 7 months for obvious reasons.
My brother has lent me his electric bike which he uses on his motor home but is about 8 years old. (The Bike)
I am thinking of buying my own and would like some advice. I have been looking at the Trek Marlin+8 and the Cube Reaction Hybrid Race, but would welcome other suggestions.
Chris

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hi Chris
What kind of terrain and how will you be using this ebike? Commuter, local parks, cross country, mountain trails.

An eMTB can be easily modified to suit your terrain by simply changing the tire type. Or, for example; I have both a Trek hardtail and full suspension. They have different uses and different costs but I mostly use the FS 85% of the time. I could just settle for the FS, but the HT is faster and more suited for riding with my wife on local and tame trails.

The Bosch motor on these bikes are fairly reliable too.

ChrisRidge

Sep 28, 2023
me20 6el
Hi Chris
What kind of terrain and how will you be using this ebike? Commuter, local parks, cross country, mountain trails.

An eMTB can be easily modified to suit your terrain by simply changing the tire type. Or, for example; I have both a Trek hardtail and full suspension. They have different uses and different costs but I mostly use the FS 85% of the time. I could just settle for the FS, but the HT is faster and more suited for riding with my wife on local and tame trails.

The Bosch motor on these bikes are fairly reliable too.
Hi Paul
Thank you for your reply. I suppose for the next year I will be riding cross country, local parks and commuter equally. Whilst I would like to eventually get back on my analogue bike, that is too much for the foreseeable future. I do want to get back out on the bike and purchasing an ebike really is the only option for the time being.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
As I have already stated, I have recently had open heart surgery to have my aortic valve replaced.
I have always been an analogue biker and currently have a Trek Roscoe 7, which I have not been on for about 7 months for obvious reasons.
My brother has lent me his electric bike which he uses on his motor home but is about 8 years old. (The Bike)
I am thinking of buying my own and would like some advice. I have been looking at the Trek Marlin+8 and the Cube Reaction Hybrid Race, but would welcome other suggestions.
Chris
Chris,
Glad to hear your doing well and living large.

eBikes have electrical components and electrical components can be fussy at times. You want to buy from a really good bike shop that has a good reputation and more importantly, an "Extremely" good mechanic. There are "Okay" bike shops that sell T-shirts, and then there are "Exceptional" bike shops that live and breath bikes. Buy your bike from the exceptional shop, they'll service your bike quicker, keep you on the trail, and more importantly, they'll offer good advice as you progress in your riding career. The relationship you develop with your shop is important. A good bike shop offers group rides. These rides are important. They are where you'll meet your future riding mates. A good mate will get you out of bed on a cold wet day, or talk you into going on an epic ride, or at the very least be the subject of a funny story post ride over a beer.

There are many good brands that sell bikes online. If you go this route of purchase, make sure your local bike shop has the ability to get parts for the bike and the ability to work on the bike. There's nothing worse than an eBike paper weight. Keep in mind that when you buy directly from a bike shop, you're also buying the backing and support of that specific shop. It can be a little bit tricky taking a bike to a bike shop from which you didn't buy. They'll work on your bike however, the cost of the repair may likely be inflated.

In truth, there are some extremely good bikes being made nowadays and you really can't go wrong with buying from any of the major manufacturers. Where you can go wrong, is buying a bike that doesn't suit your particular riding needs. You want to buy a bike that can progress with you as you become more confident in your riding ability. As an example, a hard tail is nice, but as you become a more confident, you'll likely take on more technical terrain. A hard tail will beat the living crap out of your back on technical terrain. If you are young it's not a problem, but if you are older, a compressed disk can be painful. Full suspension bikes offer more cushioning for the back.

Another consideration is budget. Yes, you want to stay within your budget, but remember, you get what you pay for. A good bargain could possibly mean sub performance, or you dealing with a host of break downs because you overstressed the crap components. When bike manufacturers release a bike model, that bike model is sold featuring various levels of componentry and suspension ranging from what I'll call "Shit" to "Exceptional." The component levels will be reflected in the cost of the bike. Here's the trick...you want to be Goldie Locks and the Three Bears...You want a bike that is "Just Right." Avoid the bike with the cheapest price, it'll have suspension, brakes and component levels that will get you hurt. You also want to avoid the bike with componentry that your skills are not capable of using yet, it'll be just a waste of money. You want to buy a bike in the lower range, but which has "Great" brakes, "Okay" suspension, and an "Okay" drive train. You can upgrade parts on your bike as you progress in your riding career. New riders may not understand this, but when you look at a bike model, in most instances, the Frame, Motor and Battery will be the same across the entire bike line, it's only the brakes, wheels, suspension, drive train and other goodies that differ. In some instances the battery size will differ, however usually the frame, motor and battery are the same.

Another consideration in bike selection is what do you "Honestly" see yourself doing with the bike. It's great to picture yourself dropping down a steep rock ledge, hitting a 20 foot gap jump, or taking a 60Km epic slug fest of a ride, but if you're only going to use the bike on paved bike trails, a few times a year, then buy accordingly. However, if you think you're going to really like mountain biking, you plan to ride a few times a week, and you can honestly see your future self spanking the bike like it's a red headed step child, then buy for the future.

I'm not going to tell you what bike to buy. That's your job and only you can make that decision. I don't know you, your fitness level, or how you ride. It would be virtually impossible for me or anybody else to tell you whether a particular bike from Cube, Trek, Specialized, Vitus, Canyon, Orbea, Santa Cruz, etc. is a good fit for you. However, you can visit your local "Great" bike shop and talk to the owner. You can begin educating yourself by researching online the various models of eBike. YouTube can be a great resource when researching what bike to buy. If you are serious about mountain biking, then be prepared to fall down the rabbit hole of bike reviews, comparisons, doubt, joy, and late night repetitious computer searches that lead you in a confusing circle of what do I buy....decisions...decisions.....

There are good YouTube electric mountain bike programs. Here are just a few to get you started:

Electric Mountain Bike Network:

Robs Rides:

Loam Wolf:

I hope this helps, be safe,
Rod

jordanshers

Oct 5, 2023
Edinburgh
Delivery services in the UK bicycle at Bike Coop are generally reliable and well-organized, making it convenient for individuals and businesses to send and receive packages. The country has a robust infrastructure that includes postal services, courier companies, and online retailers, offering a variety of delivery options to suit different needs.

Last edited:

ChrisRidge

Sep 28, 2023
me20 6el
Chris,
Glad to hear your doing well and living large.

eBikes have electrical components and electrical components can be fussy at times. You want to buy from a really good bike shop that has a good reputation and more importantly, an "Extremely" good mechanic. There are "Okay" bike shops that sell T-shirts, and then there are "Exceptional" bike shops that live and breath bikes. Buy your bike from the exceptional shop, they'll service your bike quicker, keep you on the trail, and more importantly, they'll offer good advice as you progress in your riding career. The relationship you develop with your shop is important. A good bike shop offers group rides. These rides are important. They are where you'll meet your future riding mates. A good mate will get you out of bed on a cold wet day, or talk you into going on an epic ride, or at the very least be the subject of a funny story post ride over a beer.

There are many good brands that sell bikes online. If you go this route of purchase, make sure your local bike shop has the ability to get parts for the bike and the ability to work on the bike. There's nothing worse than an eBike paper weight. Keep in mind that when you buy directly from a bike shop, you're also buying the backing and support of that specific shop. It can be a little bit tricky taking a bike to a bike shop from which you didn't buy. They'll work on your bike however, the cost of the repair may likely be inflated.

In truth, there are some extremely good bikes being made nowadays and you really can't go wrong with buying from any of the major manufacturers. Where you can go wrong, is buying a bike that doesn't suit your particular riding needs. You want to buy a bike that can progress with you as you become more confident in your riding ability. As an example, a hard tail is nice, but as you become a more confident, you'll likely take on more technical terrain. A hard tail will beat the living crap out of your back on technical terrain. If you are young it's not a problem, but if you are older, a compressed disk can be painful. Full suspension bikes offer more cushioning for the back.

Another consideration is budget. Yes, you want to stay within your budget, but remember, you get what you pay for. A good bargain could possibly mean sub performance, or you dealing with a host of break downs because you overstressed the crap components. When bike manufacturers release a bike model, that bike model is sold featuring various levels of componentry and suspension ranging from what I'll call "Shit" to "Exceptional." The component levels will be reflected in the cost of the bike. Here's the trick...you want to be Goldie Locks and the Three Bears...You want a bike that is "Just Right." Avoid the bike with the cheapest price, it'll have suspension, brakes and component levels that will get you hurt. You also want to avoid the bike with componentry that your skills are not capable of using yet, it'll be just a waste of money. You want to buy a bike in the lower range, but which has "Great" brakes, "Okay" suspension, and an "Okay" drive train. You can upgrade parts on your bike as you progress in your riding career. New riders may not understand this, but when you look at a bike model, in most instances, the Frame, Motor and Battery will be the same across the entire bike line, it's only the brakes, wheels, suspension, drive train and other goodies that differ. In some instances the battery size will differ, however usually the frame, motor and battery are the same.

Another consideration in bike selection is what do you "Honestly" see yourself doing with the bike. It's great to picture yourself dropping down a steep rock ledge, hitting a 20 foot gap jump, or taking a 60Km epic slug fest of a ride, but if you're only going to use the bike on paved bike trails, a few times a year, then buy accordingly. However, if you think you're going to really like mountain biking, you plan to ride a few times a week, and you can honestly see your future self spanking the bike like it's a red headed step child, then buy for the future.

I'm not going to tell you what bike to buy. That's your job and only you can make that decision. I don't know you, your fitness level, or how you ride. It would be virtually impossible for me or anybody else to tell you whether a particular bike from Cube, Trek, Specialized, Vitus, Canyon, Orbea, Santa Cruz, etc. is a good fit for you. However, you can visit your local "Great" bike shop and talk to the owner. You can begin educating yourself by researching online the various models of eBike. YouTube can be a great resource when researching what bike to buy. If you are serious about mountain biking, then be prepared to fall down the rabbit hole of bike reviews, comparisons, doubt, joy, and late night repetitious computer searches that lead you in a confusing circle of what do I buy....decisions...decisions.....

There are good YouTube electric mountain bike programs. Here are just a few to get you started:

Electric Mountain Bike Network:

Robs Rides:

Loam Wolf:

I hope this helps, be safe,
Rod
Thank you Rod for such a comprehensive reply to my post. I will certainly take your advice and go through your comments with greater depth over the next few days.
Chris

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
Orbea Rise is surprisingly powerful for a lighter, more natural feeling bike and you have the option of the larger 540 WH battery. They are currently on sale from Orbea with 20% off and some shops will add another 5-10% to that. They are still expensive compared to analog bikes but this may be a match for you.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Looking now at the Grand Canyon On 8 or 9. Any thoughts?
The bike has a steep head tube angle at 67.5 degrees. The Fox 32 front fork has 120mm of travel. The brakes are two piston Shimano hydraulic. The Grand Canyon is a "Cross Country" bike. The bike is predominantly suited to newer riders who will be riding mostly smooth rolling terrain. You would want to avoid taking the bike on any type of trail having a more serious technical nature. It's important to note that the 32mm front fork will provide "Minimal" suspension. The two piston brakes have adequate stopping power for rolling terrain but not aggressive terrain. The steeper head tube angle will suffice for gentle terrain, but anything involving a steepish downhill, involving rocks, will likely result in you going over the handlebars.

Note: In truth, you can take any bike on any degree of difficult trail in the world. Whether you survive intact is a different story.

Whether the Grand Canyon is a good fit for you, I would need to know the following info:
1. How often do you plan to ride the bike, i.e. once a week.
2. How do you see yourself using the bike, i.e. I want to use the bike on smooth country lanes and trails.
3. Where you do you plan to ride the bike, i.e. The area trails where I ride feature steep climbs, rock gardens, jumps and drops.
4. How much distance do you plan to cover when you ride the bike, i.e. My rides average about 45 kilometers.

If budget is your main concern, you are a newer rider, and you don't see yourself riding anything technical, maybe the Canyon Neuron 5 would suit your better as a starter bike?

Last edited:

ChrisRidge

Sep 28, 2023
me20 6el
The bike has a steep head tube angle at 67.5 degrees. The Fox 32 front fork has 120mm of travel. The brakes are two piston Shimano hydraulic. The Grand Canyon is a "Cross Country" bike. The bike is predominantly suited to newer riders who will be riding mostly smooth rolling terrain. You would want to avoid taking the bike on any type of trail having a more serious technical nature. It's important to note that the 32mm front fork will provide "Minimal" suspension. The two piston brakes have adequate stopping power for rolling terrain but not aggressive terrain. The steeper head tube angle will suffice for gentle terrain, but anything involving a steepish downhill, involving rocks, will likely result in you going over the handlebars.

Note: In truth, you can take any bike on any degree of difficult trail in the world. Whether you survive intact is a different story.

Whether the Grand Canyon is a good fit for you, I would need to know the following info:
1. How often do you plan to ride the bike, i.e. once a week.
2. How do you see yourself using the bike, i.e. I want to use the bike on smooth country lanes and trails.
3. Where you do you plan to ride the bike, i.e. The area trails where I ride feature steep climbs, rock gardens, jumps and drops.
4. How much distance do you plan to cover when you ride the bike, i.e. My rides average about 45 kilometers.

If budget is your main concern, you are a newer rider, and you don't see yourself riding anything technical, maybe the Canyon Neuron 5 would suit your better as a starter bike?
Thanks Rod for the advice. To give you more info:
1. I would aim to ride about 2/3 times per week.
2. Country lanes and trails is what my recovery and age would dictate for probably the next year or so.
3. The trails I ride don't have jumps and drops. A couple of steepish climbs but nothing technical.
4. The distance is really dependant on my recovery to full fitness afer my open heart surgery. I shall probable start off with 15-20 km
budget is around £3 - £3.5 k
Chris

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Thanks Rod for the advice. To give you more info:
1. I would aim to ride about 2/3 times per week.
2. Country lanes and trails is what my recovery and age would dictate for probably the next year or so.
3. The trails I ride don't have jumps and drops. A couple of steepish climbs but nothing technical.
4. The distance is really dependant on my recovery to full fitness afer my open heart surgery. I shall probable start off with 15-20 km
budget is around £3 - £3.5 k
Chris
Chris, thank you for the info. It helps considerably. I‘m sorry about the late reply, I’m currently in Baja Mexico and the internet is spotty where I’m at.

When considering a suitable bike, my first thought is that because of your heart surgery, you don’t want to immediately go “Full Tilt” on intense cardio rides. Bad things can happen. Ideally, you want to gradually up the intensity of your riding over a period of time.

My second thought is that a traditional pedal bike may not be your best choice for recovery. It’s been my experience that a traditional pedal bike provides a much more “Intense” cardio workout. If the terrain is rolling, your heart rate will spike high on the climbs. You can expect a higher BPM when pedaling a traditional bike as opposed to an eBike.

An eBike will give you the option of doing a more intense workout or a less intense cardio workout. Many people who’ve never ridden a eMTB mistakenly believe you can’t get a workout on a eBike. Bullshit….An eBike allows you to regulate how intense your ride effort will be. An eBike allows you to ride farther and climb higher than you personally can do at present on a traditional bike. You want an easy day in the saddle, dial up the motor assist. You want a hard day, dial back the assist. An eBike will allow you to regulate and keep your heart rate at a healthy optimal level as you ride.

Because of your heart surgery, I would think that a hard tail bike would not be a good choice for recovery. A hard tail bike offers a more harsh ride due to the rigid rear end. My thought is that this may irritate the scar tissue from surgery. A full suspension bicycle would be the better option. The articulating rear end on a full suspension bike will offer a more plush ride and cause less shock and bouncing to your chest area.

Every bike manufacturer provides a rider size chart on their website that lists recommended bike sizes based upon rider height, i.e. frame size Large, Medium, etc. You will need to know what bike frame size fits you when you shop for a bike.

it’s important to know that bicycles come in various frame design/geometries. Frame geometry is usually dictated by what the bike is designed to do.

As an example, a commuter city bike‘s geometry tends to place the rider in a more upright and relaxed riding position. However, a city bike is not ideally suited for off trail use because the geometry causes instability on rough terrain.

A cross country bike’s geometry tend’s to place the rider bent more forward, racer like, and in a position over the front wheel for optimal pedal efficiency. This type of ride position places a lot of stress on the shoulders, hands, triceps and chest areas since they are primarily used to support the rider. A cross country bike is best suited for more mellow types of off trail use.

A trail bike‘s geometry tends to place the rider bent over at the waist more than a city bike, but not as much as a cross country bike. The rider’s weight is more biased towards the middle of the bike than the front. A trail bike‘s geometry is suited for most types of off trail use.

I mention the above types of bike geometry because I am unsure how your chest area will react to the stresses placed upon it if you were to be bent over at the waist for extended periods of ride time?

Note that handlebars come in various upsweeps, i.e. 30mm High Rise handlebar. A taller rise handlebar would position you into a more upright riding position. If you chose a cross country or trail bike, a high rise handlebar might be an option to help ease pain or chest irritation.

Which bike style you choose will impact how you are positioned over a bike. You don’t necessarily want a commuter bike because it will limit where you can ride the bike. You don’t necessarily want a cross country bike. The strain of leaning far over may irritate your chest. Ideally, a trail bike with a “High Rise” handlebar would be a good choice as it will position you more upright and you can ride the bike on dirt or smooth paved paths.

Your bike budget of 3 to 3.5 GBP also takes major precedence. This leads to the next consideration. “How” to buy your bike.

Buying new and from a bike shop means you get the support of the shop and a warranty on the bike. If it breaks, the bike shop has to deal with the problem. However, buying a new bike means you typically will pay more for a new bike as opposed to a used bike. Because you are paying more, you may have to buy a more cheaply equipped bike in order to stay within budget.

A typical mountain biker will buy a bike and then upgrade the bike with premium components during ownership. Most mountain bikers will typically hold on to their bike for a few years and then sell it when the next latest and greatest thing comes along. Because the bike being sold is used, it tends to be offered at a discounted price. Buying a gently used and well maintained mountain bike allows you to buy a more premium equipped bike, but for a lot less money than a new bike with inferior components.

Buying used does come with downsides. Unless the bike is fairly new, it may not have a warranty. You also don’t get the same level of backing from a bike shop like you do after a new bike purchase. Keep in mind, all bike shops will work on used bikes should your used bike have a problem. Lastly and most importantly, when buying a used bike, you need to know what you are looking at. If you do decide to buy a used bike, make sure a mate with bike experience examines the bike and the purchase for you. You also want to buy from a person locally. That way you can physically see and examine the bike. I would not advise buying a used bike sight unseen and over the internet unless you have supreme trust in the person.

I would avoid buying a used bike via Offer Up, Craigslist, eBay, etc. It’s too easy to get scammed. There are several places online where you can reliably shop for used mountain bikes and or parts. I like to use Pink Bike. Pink Bike is a mountain bike centric website that posts mtb articles and has a used bike for sell section, including bike sold in the UK.

Here is an example of a 2020 Specialized Levo eMTB, frame size Large, like new, being offered up for sale at 2,600 GBP. The bike is located in Middlesbrough. Once again, I would not buy an eBike unless I can physically examine the bike, or I have supreme trust in the person.

Another option for used bike purchase includes eMTB Forum which has a used bike section.

Ideally, any eMTB a year or so old, which has less than 1,000 miles on the motor will tend to be a safe purchase. This is not a hard and fast rule. People can easily switch batteries on a bike or strip a new bike of it’s components which are then replaced with junk. This is where examining the bike in person pays dividends. If you do purchase a used eMTB, try to purchase from a local rider. Ask the seller if it’s okay to take the bike to a shop for inspection. If the Seller says No, then take a walk. Most major eBike brands will have an app for their bikes. You can download the app and then pair the app up with the bike via bluetooth. The app will let you know how many miles are on the motor and the health of the battery.

As you read this, you’re probably thinking, ‘All this scares me, I’d rather not mess with buying a used bike.’ You want to keep in mind that what you can buy new on your budget will most likely not be as good as what you can get used and with careful shopping. Bike shops frequently have brand sales, so who knows, maybe you’ll score on a new bike.

I am not totally familiar with all of the European brand eBikes, so I may miss some in my recommendation. There are many great eBikes out there which I can recommend, i.e. Cube, Pivot, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Orbea, Trek, Scott, etc. Unfortunately, 99% of major brand eBikes will most likely be out of the budget range you quoted.

I can guarantee, somebody will read this post and question why I didn’t’ recommend a certain bike. Folks, we need to stay within budget. If you know of one that’s within budget, mention it. The models I’m choosing will be the cheapest for that particular bike model. I’ll try to stay as close to your budget as possible. Once again, if you buy used, you will have more options in regards to major brand eBikes.

I’ll try recommend bikes in City, Cross Country and Trail categories.

1. Full suspension City/Urban eBike:
Specialized Tero X 4.0
Note: Lately, Specialized has been having some very good sales events. I’m not sure if the sales are also happening in the UK. In the USA, the bikes have been heavily discounted at times.

2. Full suspension Urban/Cross Country eBike
Trek Powerfly FS 4 Gen 2

3. Full suspension Trail eBike
Vitus E-Escarpe 290 VR

4. Full suspension Trail eBike
Giant Stance E+2

If you would like recommendations for traditional pedal bikes let me know.

Rod

Last edited:

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Chris,

Here’s thread started by Rob which discusses the “Vitus E-Mythique LT Enduro EMTB.” I have not ridden anything from the Vitus brand, so I can’t comment on quality of construction. Rob describes the bike which retails for 3,300 GBP, as the best budget eBike of the year. The bike is suited for a more heavier duty style of trail riding. Unlike some of the more light duty bikes I recommended, this bike can progress with you, if you should someday want to take on more aggressive trails systems.

ChrisRidge

Sep 28, 2023
me20 6el
Hi Rod.

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply with so much good info.

It is now 6 moths since I had my op and my sternum is mending well. I started going to the pool after 3 months and try to have a good walk every day.
My brother has lent me an old Scott E-Aspect XC and I went out on it yesterday and did about 15 miles on easy trails and country roads. I fully appreciate your comments now on how to use an ebike.
I will go through your advice on new and secondhand bikes and look more closely at the secondhand market here in the UK as well as the links you have suggested.
I will keep you posted. Thank you again for your help.
Chris

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles