Advice needed

Trailjunkie

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
USA
Hey guys tell me what you think. Currently have a S-works Turbo Levo on backorder for mid June $8000 out the door. Found a slightly used S-Works that was checked out by a bike shop. Guy is willing to trade for my 16 evil the following + 2k which will equate to 6k considering I might get 4K for my bike At the end of the day I get my bike 3 months early but without warranty protection. I come out roughly saving 2k going the used route. What do you guys think wait for the new one or take the plunge on the barely used bike.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
$8K is quite a bit off list price. But, I’d take the used option if it’s in great condition for the early access and a $2K saving.

Surely some warranty will transfer?

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Specialized FAQ said:
Specialized bicycles are sold exclusively through our network of authorized dealers. Specialized Bicycle Components, Inc. provides each original retail purchaser of a new Specialized bicycle or frameset with a limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship as follows:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The $2k you saved would cover most eventualities if you are happy with the condition of the used bike.
Would the original owner work with you raising a warranty claim in the event an issue arose?

Trailjunkie

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
USA
Thanks for the responses so far, good stuff! I plan to call specialized Monday and first check registration and from there talk about warranty policy. Maybe talk about cost of replacement parts to weigh it all out.
The guy that has the bike lives in Arizona and I'm in Memphis so would be hard to coordinate any warranty claims through him so that's probably off the table.
Its a gamble to be able to have the bike for the early part of the season would be awesome and if I made it two years with no issues I come out on the good end
but then if things start going wrong...motor, battery, etc would definitely eat through the 2k saved on the front end and the local shops may not be so friendly knowing I didn't buy from them. Tough call all the way around
Anyone out there that's owned a e-bike for any length of time can you report any issues or warranty related claims that you've experienced?
Monday should shed more light after I talk to specialized.
Not to mention the fact I would have to put my following up for sale and go through that whole process of trying to sale and then ship and then maybe not getting what I think my bike is worth at the end of the day
The fact that the guy wants my following on a trade plus cash and I want his bike and not have to wait three months for the backordered one is VERY TEMPTING!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just another thought, are there any other Specialized dealers that you have the bike in stock? I’m sure that someone will have one that they could ship out. Then you’d get it much quicker with no issues with warranty etc.

Trailjunkie

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
USA
I've called a lot of shops and what I'm finding is there's a few comp models out there but no one even has the expert or s-works until mid June

Trailjunkie

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
USA
Yeah, its a big letdown. Demoed it last week and just now got the smile on my face to go away...lol That's why this is so tempting
I'm currently checking insurance companies to see what policies I could get to cover myself where specialized will not

Trailjunkie

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
USA
Update...looks as though I will be waiting it out for the new levo in mid June after all. Seems as though I uncovered a major theft ring as the bike turned out to be stolen. It didn't even show up stolen when I gave the serial number to specialized customer service. Also checked bikeregistry.com and bikeindex.org and no reports so was about to pull the trigger when I thought...should of asked specialized who's name it was registered under. Well they didn't have that but had the name of the bike shop it was purchased from. Low and behold when I called there they confirmed it and three other bikes had been stolen early January off the back of cars parked at a restaurant in Sedona Az. with only a cable lock system securing them.
The Theif is in jail and the bikes recovered so at least there's some consolation. But now I have to wait it out...Noooooooooo
Lessons learned here, if you have to leave your bike on the back of your car at least put a heavy gauge chain or two on it as well as your rack to your car
Also, I should have called local law enforcement first and they would have ran the serial number and It would have showed up
Thanks for all the replies!

Sylvain

Feb 23, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I bought a demo 2017 Levo Comp a few weeks ago. I first contacted Specialized (the Canada branch) by email and asked to them find me a demo bike. Two days later they put me in contact with a dealer 200KM away from me. I bought the bike form them. My bike has no official warranty; but the dealer told me that neither them nor Specialized Canada would ever let a client down if there were a real defect with the bike; no matter the official warranty. Two weeks ago, I did get an issue with the bike: power assistance would fail intermittently. They took the bike and fixed it no charge (it was just a wire that was not connected securely enough). I had my bike the next day. All that to say that so far my experience with the Specialized customer service has been pretty good.

Trailjunkie

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
USA
I bought a demo 2017 Levo Comp a few weeks ago. I first contacted Specialized (the Canada branch) by email and asked to them find me a demo bike. Two days later they put me in contact with a dealer 200KM away from me. I bought the bike form them. My bike has no official warranty; but the dealer told me that neither them nor Specialized Canada would ever let a client down if there were a real defect with the bike; no matter the official warranty. Two weeks ago, I did get an issue with the bike: power assistance would fail intermittently. They took the bike and fixed it no charge (it was just a wire that was not connected securely enough). I had my bike the next day. All that to say that so far my experience with the Specialized customer service has been pretty good.

Thanks for sharing! Awesome to hear they fixed your issue no questions asked. How are you enjoying the levo so far?

Sylvain

Feb 23, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I really like my bike so far. It's not as playful as I'd like: manuals and wheelies do require quite a bit of effort. But I'm rinding in the snow atm, so it's hard to tell what it's gonna be like in the summer. I'll know soon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles