GPS. Newbie advice needed.

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
I am contemplating a GPS route planning devise as I would like to explore new routes, rather than sticking to designated cycle paths at cycle parks.
Ideally to guide off paths at cycle parks plus be able to add routes I have seen on Kamoot.
Don't want the bells and whistles, just be able to get guides, where to turn next etc.

Don't need fitness monitoring as I have this on my watch and don't want to use my mobile. And definitely don't want to be sending £100's when a second hand £60 unit will do.

Totally confused at all the different Garmin units I have seen on eBay. Plus other brand names I have never heard.

Your advice gladly welcomed.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I use OS maps on my desktop pc to plan my routes or select one that someone else has added , one of the mountain bike mags also publishes routes with a qr code with a link to os maps.
Once the route is selected you can save it to favourites then it appears on your phone if you have the app downloaded.
I pay for the premium version at £25 a year, no exactly sure what differences it has over the free one.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I couldn't get the OS maps app to work on my Android phone, it just wouldn't keep track of my location and despite good communication with the OS support team I finally gave up and use the OMN mapping app that also uses OS maps but works consistently.
I purchased a secondhand large screen (and high capacity battery) phone from eBay that was compatible with the Quadlock mounting system.
This means I'm not risking my SIM equipped phone on the handlebars.
Also if your bike has a usb output consider getting a matching OTG cable to enable you to charge your navigation phone while you ride or have a high capacity powerbank with you as a backup.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I couldn't get the OS maps app to work on my Android phone, it just wouldn't keep track of my location and despite good communication with the OS support team I finally gave up and use the OMN mapping app that also uses OS maps but works consistently.
I purchased a secondhand large screen (and high capacity battery) phone from eBay that was compatible with the Quadlock mounting system.
This means I'm not risking my SIM equipped phone on the handlebars.
Also if your bike has a usb output consider getting a matching OTG cable to enable you to charge your navigation phone while you ride or have a high capacity powerbank with you as a backup.
I did initially have a few issues with the map keeping my location when I was out of signal, especially if I closed the app by accident.
I now download the map to my phone so it works offline, I find it also helps opening up the map before leaving home and having it running in the background as I drive to the destination with my phone on charge so I start the ride with a 100% charge.
Not sure if this actually helps with the location issues, OS appear to have updated the app so it could be down to this.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
In general, the Garmin 530 is a safe choice if you want a lot of features. The 830 is similar but adds touchscreen and a few navigation features that I think mostly benefits roadies. The software ecosystem is a hot mess though. It's a user interface disaster of epic proportions that deserves a lot of salty language to get thrown at it.

The Wahoo Bolt is a pretty good alternative, relatively pain free on the UI front, but navigation is more limited, you won't get support for things like remote control, and not so much in the way of data field and widget customization possibilities.

I wouldn't recommend trying to plan your route directly from any cyclecomputer. I don't know if it's possible at all on the Wahoo, but it's much easier to plan your route at home on a regular computer and upload it to your cyclecomputer.

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Thank you. Have been looking at the Garmin Edge 130 as it seems to do the basics, I'm not fussed with colour and touch screens or a large unit on the bike.
I will use Kamoot or Strava on my phone to download routes onto the Garmin.
Not seen the Woohoo, will do a search.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I'm using Garmin Fenix 6 Pro watch with gpx tracks. That's good for me.
If I arrive at an intersection where several paths start, I check the situation on my phone where there is the same gpx track.

You need some app on your phone where you can find a topo map and you can download gpx track to it.

I want to keep the handlebar free of accessories.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thank you. Have been looking at the Garmin Edge 130 as it seems to do the basics, I'm not fussed with colour and touch screens or a large unit on the bike.

I have the Edge 130 Plus and it does everything I need it to do, plus more, and in my opinion is the best sized GPS unit out there as it’s tiny, so nice and discreet mounted on your stem cap or bars.

Many people complain about the simple breadcrumb style directions, but personally I think they’re all you need. It’s basically little arrows with distances, and beeps when a turn is coming, just to remind you to look at the unit so you don’t miss the turn. Simple

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
@Tubby G that's exactly what I am after.

Can I send Kamoot maps via Bluetooth from my phone to the 130?

Unfortunately not. You have to plug it into a laptop / PC via USB to transfer gpx files, but again this doesn’t hinder me in the slightest as I permanently have a laptop open on my desk so plugging in a cable isn’t a tedious task

It’s a basic unit, and I was tempted by the 530 initially as it has a more modern user interface, but it’s the size and simplicity that won me over, and the fact it was £100 cheaper than the 530!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Unfortunately not. You have to plug it into a laptop / PC via USB to transfer gpx files, but again this doesn’t hinder me in the slightest as I permanently have a laptop open on my desk so plugging in a cable isn’t a tedious task

It’s a basic unit, and I was tempted by the 530 initially as it has a more modern user interface, but it’s the size and simplicity that won me over, and the fact it was £100 cheaper than the 530!

You can transfer files via the Garmin Connect app, which when you sync to Connect the software will automatically load the gpx routes onto the device. I do it from OS Maps to Connect to the 130. No doubt you could do this with Komoot too, but I’ve never tried it

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
For those of us wanting just a bit more such as a touch screen, the Garmin Edge Explore is not a lot bigger, not a lot more in cost and a nice colour screen to go with it that largely works in direct sunlight. The only thing it doesn't have is some of the more advanced features of the Garmin Edge 1000 but there are already work arounds with " Apps " already appearing for it.

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
Never quite got the Garmin idea - way too much cash gor a limited device, ...when a phone does so much more. Get a small phone, run free apps, cache maps on your wifi & follow/record route... Cubot mini kingkong mk2 budget phone, Alltrails.com & strava free heat map for plotting. great britain topo map app to view + free strava to record.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Never quite got the Garmin idea - way too much cash gor a limited device, ...when a phone does so much more. Get a small phone, run free apps, cache maps on your wifi & follow/record route... Cubot mini kingkong mk2 budget phone, Alltrails.com & strava free heat map for plotting. great britain topo map app to view + free strava to record.
I hate those cheap phones. The battery may last your ride, maybe. My Garmin last 15 days and riding 5 times a week.
And it so easy to load a gpx file. Just get it, save to garmin web site as a course, mark it to load to Garmin device and sync..voila'

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Sorry for the slow response. I'm scrambling to adjust to a new job and haven't been watching the forums as much lately.

I do have an Edge 130 (non-plus). I thought I would love it because I have a long history with very tiny cyclecomputers (Avocets and then small Cateyes for 30 years). However, in practice I try it from time to time but always just keep on coming back to the 530/830. I'm not even 100% sure why. I'd say the shorter battery life is the biggest reason, something about the UI experience bugs me (maybe latency or font size, not sure what exactly), and the lack of maps can sometimes be irritating when I'm navigating streets I don't have memorized or I'm running on a new preplanned route and want to see it overlaid onto the context of a proper map.

Anyhow, I see you got your own 130. Cheers. Keep it topped off and I'm sure it will do you good service.

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
I hate those cheap phones. The battery may last your ride, maybe. My Garmin last 15 days and riding 5 times a week.
And it so easy to load a gpx file. Just get it, save to garmin web site as a course, mark it to load to Garmin device and sync..voila'
Battery is no probs over a 5 hour ride. Older version of the Cubot phone had a weedy battery, however a £2.80 power bank gives an extra 3 hours. The mk2 phone does not need that. File transfer between devices using Feem is a doddle.

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
I am contemplating a GPS route planning devise as I would like to explore new routes, rather than sticking to designated cycle paths at cycle parks.
Ideally to guide off paths at cycle parks plus be able to add routes I have seen on Kamoot.
Don't want the bells and whistles, just be able to get guides, where to turn next etc.

Don't need fitness monitoring as I have this on my watch and don't want to use my mobile. And definitely don't want to be sending £100's when a second hand £60 unit will do.

Totally confused at all the different Garmin units I have seen on eBay. Plus other brand names I have never heard.

Your advice gladly welcomed.
Used a SATMAP Active 10 for years and now replaced with an Active 20. Memory Map on Laptop, routes constructed on screen and GPX route downloaded onto the SATMAP mounted on the bars with a Quadlock. Bloody Brilliant.

jaselikebikes

Jan 18, 2021
Auckland
If you mountain bike which I assume you do then the Garmin 530 is for you which will work with Trail Forks, a much better App for MTB than Komoot. Currently I use Wahoo / Bolt Roam with Komoot or trailforks/ Strava but the mapping directions on the Wahoo is very crude 1980s like chevrons even in the colour format and it is easy to overshoot your trail.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
There's so many options but I've found something pretty simple with very small footprint. Use it on the bikes and motorcycles. It's called Beeline Moto manufactured in UK. Works off of your phone so it's not a stand alone GPS. They make a moto and bicycle model but I opted for the moto as it can be used both ways. Software app in the phone works really well.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I use OS maps on my desktop pc to plan my routes or select one that someone else has added , one of the mountain bike mags also publishes routes with a qr code with a link to os maps.
Once the route is selected you can save it to favourites then it appears on your phone if you have the app downloaded.
I pay for the premium version at £25 a year, no exactly sure what differences it has over the free one.
Premium gives you access to the OS Landranger series 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 mapping.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I use a Garmin edge 820 which is great for recording rides (and telling me what power I’m using and battery life) but I find the map too small and nothing like as good as a phone. So for following s route I much prefer a phone. Get a cheap second hand one if you’re worried about using your main phone. As mentioned above, it’s important to download the maps ( you may not have a phone signal but you’ll nearly always have GPS cover) and phones are quite battery hungry. I bought a little bag which fits securly behind the stem in which I have a spare battery connected, if need be, to the phone.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
There’s a few Garmin 530’s floating around on FB marketplace and gumtree at a good price. I use my Fenix 6 tbh and ditched the headunit. Has topo maps etc on it.

Got brownie points too as the wife got my old Apple Watch

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles