Total Hip Replacement and Riding

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I just had my hip replacement surgery this morning. I had to switch doctors for insurance reasons. I like this doctor better and he did anterior. There is fairly considerable post surgery pain, but well worth having my hip back. Doctor says I’ll be back riding in early October, but should take it easy for a while. I appreciate all the comments above.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I just had my hip replacement surgery this morning. I had to switch doctors for insurance reasons. I like this doctor better and he did anterior. There is fairly considerable post surgery pain, but well worth having my hip back. Doctor says I’ll be back riding in early October, but should take it easy for a while. I appreciate all the comments above.
A buddy of mine has had both hips replaced (total) 12-15 years ago. Caused from a type of arthritis. He rides his eMTB 2-4 times a week. I wonder if they could have made him taller? 😉 Anyways, he’s already 6’2” and has had no issues since.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
A buddy of mine has had both hips replaced (total) 12-15 years ago. Caused from a type of arthritis. He rides his eMTB 2-4 times a week. I wonder if they could have made him taller? 😉 Anyways, he’s already 6’2” and has had no issues since.
Exactly the type of info I want to hear, thanks.

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Hi
Glad your op went well.
I'm 5 months post operation and back to doing everything I did before this nightmare started.
Please don't rush your recovery, gently, gently, catch a monkey is definitely the approach to recovery.
I found the first 2 weeks the most painful, good progress at 6 weeks with time on the trainer. Tbh I didn't feel fully confident and strong until 3 months post operation, for me that was a key point of recovery.
Today I did a 20 mile blast and smashed it, the fastest I've ever done that circuit.
Stick in there, be patient and you will be happy

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Hi
Glad your op went well.
I'm 5 months post operation and back to doing everything I did before this nightmare started.
Please don't rush your recovery, gently, gently, catch a monkey is definitely the approach to recovery.
I found the first 2 weeks the most painful, good progress at 6 weeks with time on the trainer. Tbh I didn't feel fully confident and strong until 3 months post operation, for me that was a key point of recovery.
Today I did a 20 mile blast and smashed it, the fastest I've ever done that circuit.
Stick in there, be patient and you will be happy
I appreciate the feedback. Definitely in pain now. I am hoping to be walking and light hiking by October 1 for a trip to Wyoming I planned 6 months ago.

Rus Ler

Aug 25, 2023
SW Victoria, Australia
Great your op went well, I'm 17 months post op having anterior replacement, up walking 12 hours later with NO pain(apart from 32 staples at the incision)
Best advice is do all of your rehabilitation religiously and listen to your body not to over do exercise, strength will return.
At 59, I'm in my prime (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles