Total Hip Replacement and Riding

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I just had my hip replacement surgery this morning. I had to switch doctors for insurance reasons. I like this doctor better and he did anterior. There is fairly considerable post surgery pain, but well worth having my hip back. Doctor says I’ll be back riding in early October, but should take it easy for a while. I appreciate all the comments above.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I just had my hip replacement surgery this morning. I had to switch doctors for insurance reasons. I like this doctor better and he did anterior. There is fairly considerable post surgery pain, but well worth having my hip back. Doctor says I’ll be back riding in early October, but should take it easy for a while. I appreciate all the comments above.
A buddy of mine has had both hips replaced (total) 12-15 years ago. Caused from a type of arthritis. He rides his eMTB 2-4 times a week. I wonder if they could have made him taller? 😉 Anyways, he’s already 6’2” and has had no issues since.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
A buddy of mine has had both hips replaced (total) 12-15 years ago. Caused from a type of arthritis. He rides his eMTB 2-4 times a week. I wonder if they could have made him taller? 😉 Anyways, he’s already 6’2” and has had no issues since.
Exactly the type of info I want to hear, thanks.

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Hi
Glad your op went well.
I'm 5 months post operation and back to doing everything I did before this nightmare started.
Please don't rush your recovery, gently, gently, catch a monkey is definitely the approach to recovery.
I found the first 2 weeks the most painful, good progress at 6 weeks with time on the trainer. Tbh I didn't feel fully confident and strong until 3 months post operation, for me that was a key point of recovery.
Today I did a 20 mile blast and smashed it, the fastest I've ever done that circuit.
Stick in there, be patient and you will be happy

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Hi
Glad your op went well.
I'm 5 months post operation and back to doing everything I did before this nightmare started.
Please don't rush your recovery, gently, gently, catch a monkey is definitely the approach to recovery.
I found the first 2 weeks the most painful, good progress at 6 weeks with time on the trainer. Tbh I didn't feel fully confident and strong until 3 months post operation, for me that was a key point of recovery.
Today I did a 20 mile blast and smashed it, the fastest I've ever done that circuit.
Stick in there, be patient and you will be happy
I appreciate the feedback. Definitely in pain now. I am hoping to be walking and light hiking by October 1 for a trip to Wyoming I planned 6 months ago.

Rus Ler

Aug 25, 2023
SW Victoria, Australia
Great your op went well, I'm 17 months post op having anterior replacement, up walking 12 hours later with NO pain(apart from 32 staples at the incision)
Best advice is do all of your rehabilitation religiously and listen to your body not to over do exercise, strength will return.
At 59, I'm in my prime (y)

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
I could still ride well, but walking was hopeless.

Had an anterior replacement done at 10am this morning, walked out using a cane at 5pm. Right now SO much less pain (really none) than prior to the surgery :) . Huge thanks to all those who work in the medical field!

Cheers.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
4 months post full knee replacement. Still having LOTS of trouble getting my pedal over TDC ( top dead center) it’s like it just won’t bend that far anymore. Hope it’s just swelling.

Xman

May 13, 2021
Tetbury
Hi there
Surprised your having this trouble. I had knee replacement surgery 5 years ago and they wouldn't let me out of hospital until I could bend my knee 90 degrees so should be enough to deal with top crank position.
That said you're obviously having difficulties.
14 months ago I had a full hip replacement surgery and as a preparation for getting back on my bike I was advised to get a post dropper.
This did two things for me
1) Getting on and off the bike became super easy.
2) more relevant to you was the higher riding position. This means your knee flexion requirements are not as great so you should easily get to top crank position. It also gives you a much better mechanical advantage in the riding position enabling more force to be applied to the pedal with less stress going through the knee.
It's akin to riding off your seat when going uphill if you get my drift.
Getting one fitted has transformed the way i ride my bike and wouldn't be without one

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
4 months post full knee replacement. Still having LOTS of trouble getting my pedal over TDC ( top dead center) it’s like it just won’t bend that far anymore. Hope it’s just swelling.
Shorter cranks would likely help as well. Less distance between TDC and BDC and you can raise your seat the same amount that the cranks are reduced.

Cheers.

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
Definitely recommend dropper posts. Hardly ever used it pre surgery , now it’s the only way to get on/ off the bike. Hopefully I can ween myself off it the more I ride.

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Definitely recommend dropper posts. Hardly ever used it pre surgery , now it’s the only way to get on/ off the bike. Hopefully I can ween myself off it the more I ride.
I never use it while riding, takes up too much mental space. Been a godsend for the last couple of years getting on the bike though :) .

Cheers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles