My Trek Rail turns itself off when putting out power...

phat_al

Jun 2, 2020
SoCal
My Trek Rail 9.7 turns itself off when putting out max power when the terrain changes from flat to hilly real suddenly.
Could this be the battery dislodging somehow inside the frame? Or could it be something else? I had borrowed the exact same bike from the shop owner before picking mine up and this issue never occurred, now that I'm on my own bike, I'm having this happen on the first ride out on it.
Just wondering if any other Trek Rail or Powerlfy users dealt with this before.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Loose connection somewhere becoming dislodged due to heat expansion? I'm guessing this because it's the reason why smacking some electronics makes them work again.

If it gave an error message, it would be easier to troubleshoot, as it's something the software and hardware monitor, like overheat or BMS-related. Some sensor failing to report as expected, like the speed sensor, would also trigger an error that can halt assistance.

phat_al

Jun 2, 2020
SoCal
Loose connection somewhere becoming dislodged due to heat expansion? I'm guessing this because it's the reason why smacking some electronics makes them work again.

If it gave an error message, it would be easier to troubleshoot, as it's something the software and hardware monitor, like overheat or BMS-related. Some sensor failing to report as expected, like the speed sensor, would also trigger an error that can halt assistance.
I was thinking along those lines...related to effort and speed sensing as I hammer down when I need the power to get me over a real steep hump in a quick burst .

phat_al

Jun 2, 2020
SoCal
I was thinking along those lines too: effort and speed sensing. It was my maiden voyage on that bike. So I'll keep a watchful eye on it to see if this continues.

Capo

Feb 16, 2020
N yorks
Mine has same problem cut out 3 times now no fault codes gone back to store plus more faults rattling noiseThis is from rear shock bolt rear shock bolt bending so I have been told by the store

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Rear shock bolt bending? it’s a 10mm diameter steel bolt, you shouldn’t be able to bend it without doing damage elsewhere!

I had the intermittent power issue on my Rail 7 recently; it’s caused by the lower battery mount moving and the fix involved dropping the motor so I let the LBS deal with it.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
My Trek Rail 9.7 turns itself off when putting out max power when the terrain changes from flat to hilly real suddenly.
Could this be the battery dislodging somehow inside the frame? Or could it be something else? I had borrowed the exact same bike from the shop owner before picking mine up and this issue never occurred, now that I'm on my own bike, I'm having this happen on the first ride out on it.
Just wondering if any other Trek Rail or Powerlfy users dealt with this before.

My wife’s Trek was doing the same thing. Luckily I have the identical bike and mine would never turn off. When I checked her bike, the only thing different was that her battery had some movement. My battery was immovable. I took her bike to the LBS and they fixed it. They said that the battery wasn’t quite lined up to the frame and was causing connection issues. Her bike no longer turns off while riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles