Rail (750Wh) Another rail that’s turns off

Kaip

Dec 8, 2022
Whistler
I have a ‘22 trek rail 9.8 and I’ve been having never ending issues with it turning off while riding. After 5 rides on the new bike the motor had to be replaced because it died. With the new motor the bike consistently turns off on rough ground. Spoke to the trek booth at crankworks and they recommended starting a warranty claim, did the claim and they sent out foam pads for the battery. This didn’t fix it so they sent out all new rib mounting hardware, this didn’t fix it and made to worse.
Now they are blaming Bosch when the issue is clearly the battery moving. Bosch have rightly replied that it isn’t caused by them and they see a lot of issue’s caused by the rib mounting system.
Has anyone else had this?
Am I ever going to get a working bike or is the money gone?

IMG_3907.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yes.
I have a ‘22 trek rail 9.8 and I’ve been having never ending issues with it turning off while riding. After 5 rides on the new bike the motor had to be replaced because it died. With the new motor the bike consistently turns off on rough ground. Spoke to the trek booth at crankworks and they recommended starting a warranty claim, did the claim and they sent out foam pads for the battery. This didn’t fix it so they sent out all new rib mounting hardware, this didn’t fix it and made to worse.
Now they are blaming Bosch when the issue is clearly the battery moving. Bosch have rightly replied that it isn’t caused by them and they see a lot of issue’s caused by the rib mounting system.

View attachment 124097
Yes…and it was a bother. Rough terrain would cause a temporary loss of assist.

Eventually I realigned and secured the battery (rib) and cleaned the connections at the lower bulkhead. A neighbor had a similar problem (not as bad) and this fixed it also.

It could be a number of issues but this was a quick and simple solution for my power loss.

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
Have your shop check the contacts on the battery. Mine was replaced under warranty as the battery movement caused the contacts to bend resulting in disconnects. Foam pads and new battery solved the issue.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My Bosch app would show that I had several “short” rides when I actually had one long ride. I never took the bike to the LBS for analysis …probably because they couldn’t mimic the real world riding that I did. If I didn’t/couldn’t find a solution I would’ve taken the bike in for analysis.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Make SURE your bike haS the metal battery truss in there. If not...that's probably your issue.

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Take it back to the LBS you purchased it from and get them to fix the RIB issue. Plenty of dealers have not fitted the battery correctly or aligned the RIB properly. I can't understand some people who spend so much on a bike and then settle for less than satisfactory customer service?

emtboulder

Jun 2, 2022
Boulder, CO
At about 1500 miles my 2021 Rail 7 had a couple of unexpected shutoffs riding rough terrain. I isolated the problem to the female terminal springs for the ground (-) connection in the battery. Those two springs which grab the (-) tab on the bike were visually separated compared to other terminals in the battery. Carefully bent them closer together, one at a time, and haven't had any more problems in the last 500 or so miles. At this point, I just leave the battery in the bike all the time to limit stress to the connection. But if I have another power loss I'll remove it and add dielectric grease.

FWIW, I replaced the battery lock system with a battery bracket just before the problem arose, buy still suspect that the damage to the terminal springs was caused by battery rattle with the lock system. Can't say for sure, though.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I had the same issue recently too with my motor cutting out on rough chunky climbs and cutting out/shutting off on rough chunky DH. When I got home, I took the battery out, blew out the whole battery compartment and battery plug with my compressor. Then I added foam strips around the sides and top of the battery, then added dielectric grease to the battery plug and (knock on wood) I haven’t had a problem since.

e-mtbrider

Nov 25, 2018
Castaic Calif
I had an issue where my 2022 Rail 9.8 while on a trailside break the bike would not turn on. As it turns out the wire going into the handle bar mounted power controller backed out.
Maybe yours is to a point of being intermittent.
Just a thought

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA

View attachment 124097
Tension straps outside the frame/battery should help. What I had to use on my Rail after just a few months and “fixes” by Trek did nothing like you experienced. I use two velcro tension straps at upper part of battery/frame and lower.

gerdo3

Feb 13, 2022
South Lanarkshire

View attachment 124097
Similar problem on my cube stereo hybrid, kept cutting out, finally when took in to lbs and it wouldn't take software update, lbs finally traced to kiok display mount, the circuit board inside the kiox holder was cracked, so replaced with new holder £20 then bike started taking software and so far no more cutting out

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles