2021 trek rail 9.9 keeps shutting off

jhcohan211

Sep 24, 2020
Atl
I have called Trek, spoken with the service techs, I’ve spent multiple hours trying to fix this issue. If you hit any bump the whole system will shut off or the motor will cut out for 5-10 seconds and then turn back on. I’ve done the RIB alignment. Anyone else having this issue or have had this issue?

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Others have had a similar problem, but that was caused by the bottom battery mount moving, which can't be your issue since you've already done the battery alignment. Maybe the wiring is being pinched between the motor and the frame? Or possibly a loose connection at the motor?

Jumbleross

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Yep I have this issue with my carbon 9.7, my LBS ended up replacing all Bosch parts and I still have the issue. Trek are now sending out a new frame as we think the frame is faulty and over flexing. Take the battery out and check the layups of carbon to see if any of it is peeling away. I suspect Trek will want to rule out lower cost problems before you get to this stage though.

FE16D7D7-FDC8-433E-AC89-1049F193F339.jpeg

Jumbleross

Aug 26, 2020
UK
FYI mine is an XL and I’m 16 stone so probably max torsional stress. I used to crack ali frames at the welds for fun ?

I’m hoping there is a faulty batch of frames and not a design flaw.

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Yes, I had this on my Rail when ot was new. Adjusting the battery holder made it go away. After that it has been fine despite serious enduro riding, park visits and messy trails.

JacobC1983

Feb 20, 2020
USA
Has anybody had their Kiox lose connection? My Rail 9.9 Will show the speed... then show (--) and stop power assist, then kick back on again? Anybody have any insight into that?

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Has anybody had their Kiox lose connection? My Rail 9.9 Will show the speed... then show (--) and stop power assist, then kick back on again? Anybody have any insight into that?

Some sort of issue with your speed sensor. Look if the connector is properly seated (remove bash guard) and check if it’s properly mounted in the rear triangle/chainstay. Magnet is ok?

Martonthego

Aug 20, 2023
Bromont
Yep that seems to be secure. Maybe it is on the motor side where the problem is
Hi Jacob, did you find the solution? Mine is doing exactly them same thing. They replace the speed sensor, now the motor, and the problem is still there. Please let me know what you’ve done to fix the problem. Thanks

JacobC1983

Feb 20, 2020
USA
Hi Jacob, did you find the solution? Mine is doing exactly them same thing. They replace the speed sensor, now the motor, and the problem is still there. Please let me know what you’ve done to fix the problem. Thanks
I took it in to the bike shop and after some time and trial and error, they basically said they cleaned all the wiring connections and it fixed the issue. They think some dirt/mud was causing a short somewhere.

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
I just went through something similar. In my case the battery moving around bent the contact points in the battery in a way that made the connection fragile. RIB alignment, foam pads from the Trek service bulletin and a new battery under warranty and it’s better than ever.

Border T

Nov 20, 2019
Stourbridge
I have called Trek, spoken with the service techs, I’ve spent multiple hours trying to fix this issue. If you hit any bump the whole system will shut off or the motor will cut out for 5-10 seconds and then turn back on. I’ve done the RIB alignment. Anyone else having this issue or have had this issue?
I had exactly the same problem on my 2021 Rail 9.8, it's very annoying and can be dangerous. I realigned the battery contacts and the wiring etc but nothing worked. Took it to my LBS who fitted an alloy plate to keep the battery under tension. I was sceptical but several rides later over rough terrain (where previously it would cut out) it seems completely cured. I believe it was ordered from Europe and cost £40 including fitting. Very happy with it so far. You could argue it's a warranty issue...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles