My Maxxis DHR2 looks weird!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Maxxis DHR2 DD Maxxgrip 29" fitted 24 October 2023, done exactly 600 miles. Has loads of grit/chalk (?) in the tread, never seen that before, or perhaps I've never noticed. Perhaps been running wrong pressure? Tyre looks f**ked ...

Ride a lot on the chalk and mud South Downs.

Edit: 2022 Trek Rail alloy 25psi
20240319_132937.jpg

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Here’s a pic of my rear Maxxis tire.
Less than 600 miles. Gravel, rocks, loam, roots and snow.
IMG_7512.jpeg

IMG_7513.jpeg

35mm Raceface offset with CushCore Plus. 25psi. I think this was new last October.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
To be fair it has had a hard life for the last 5 months in the chalk/mud/flint we ride in. But can't complain about the Maxxgrip, has only ever once let go ... at the same time as the Schwalbe Magic Mary SuperGravity Ultrasoft front while crossing a slippery as fuck chalk/mud escapement and landed on my back still holding onto the bike! :LOL:

Soon back onto Assegai DD front and rear so all good. Thanks for the comments and pics, appreciated. (y)

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Wet as opposed to dry conditions on gritty trails washes the softer dust layer away leaving the heavier and sharper grit exposed...............and that will penetrate softer compounds. Quite possibly 25psi also increases that issue? The only time I use that high a pressure is on rocky ground, other wise 22psi is my max for a rear 29er. I only use max grip compound on the front tyre.............max terra on the back.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Wet as opposed to dry conditions on gritty trails washes the softer dust layer away leaving the heavier and sharper grit exposed...............and that will penetrate softer compounds. Quite possibly 25psi also increases that issue? The only time I use that high a pressure is on rocky ground, other wise 22psi is my max for a rear 29er. I only use max grip compound on the front tyre.............max terra on the back.

Have had punctures and a ripped tyre with Maxxis EXO+ so now use DD. Logically Maxxterra DD would be ideal on the rear.

Edit: usually have Maxxgrip front and rear because when fronts are worn they're moved to rears and new fronts put on.

But do like the Magic Mary fronts which were put on for the winter because the Assegais turned to slicks in the mud too quickly.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Have had punctures and a ripped tyre with Maxxis EXO+ so now use DD. Logically Maxxterra DD would be ideal on the rear.

Edit: usually have Maxxgrip front and rear because when fronts are worn they're moved to rears and new fronts put on.

But do like the Magic Mary fronts which were put on for the winter because the Assegais turned to slicks in the mud too quickly.
Agreed...Assegai is a great all round tyre but no good in sticky mud because it just clogs up. Fortunately most of my riding is in forests where the trails are sandy loam/ pine needle compost and the Assegai is good in those trail conditions. Another good front tyre in muddy conditions...in fact any conditions....is a Michelin Wild Enduro ( front). I usually use EXO + at the front and DD on the back.....never had any isssues with an Exo+.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Mikerb "Agreed...Assegai is a great all round tyre but no good in sticky mud because it just clogs up. Fortunately most of my riding is in forests where the trails are sandy loam/ pine needle compost and the Assegai is good in those trail conditions."

I could have written that! :)

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Maxxis DHR2 DD Maxxgrip 29" fitted 24 October 2023, done exactly 600 miles.

Generally I get about 400 miles out of a DHR II. If I'm shredding hard, it will be a little less. If I'm kickin' it, it will be a little more. They are, however, reasonably consistent. So if you're getting 600 miles, I wouldn't think there's anything to be concerned with.

Looking at your picture, I'd be ordering a replacement soon. Before I replace an old tire, I'll let the sipes get a little shallower that what you have. If the side knobs get too undercut, or the braking side of the knobs gets too ramped, then I'll replace the tire.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Generally I get about 400 miles out of a DHR II. If I'm shredding hard, it will be a little less. If I'm kickin' it, it will be a little more. They are, however, reasonably consistent. So if you're getting 600 miles, I wouldn't think there's anything to be concerned with.

Looking at your picture, I'd be ordering a replacement soon. Before I replace an old tire, I'll let the sipes get a little shallower that what you have. If the side knobs get too undercut, or the braking side of the knobs gets too ramped, then I'll replace the tire.
Thanks for your post. Figured the same, will get a bit more use out it then replace it in a few weeks when the terrain gets drier. Still very muddy so might as well continue trashing it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles