A source for Maxxis White Label Logo

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
There is a rumor that I want to put to rest. I have heard people say that the white logo Maxxis tires are different from the yellow aftermarket tires, they are OEM only, and either they are blemished or not made to the same standard. This is 100% incorrect. Confirmed by the head of Maxxis North America, the white logo Maxxis tires and normal yellow logo Maxxis tires are made to the same standard, are the same tire and the only difference is the hot patch color.

I rest my case

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
To distinguish between OEM and retail.
A perfect answer Gary, if you work for the Civil service. It is accurate, timely, honest and yet adds absolutely no new information. :unsure:

Why do they need to know? It must cost money to make the tyres different when as you (and @emtbPhil) say they are standard. There must be a value attached to that colour change.
I wondered whether it may be an anti-fraud measure in some way. But my expectation would be that because tyres of the same size and basic type can be hard to tell apart, it may be simply for ID purposes in the factory and the subsequent supply chain. But I don't know - which is why I asked.

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
A perfect answer Gary, if you work for the Civil service. It is accurate, timely, honest and yet adds absolutely no new information. :unsure:

Why do they need to know? It must cost money to make the tyres different when as you (and @emtbPhil) say they are standard. There must be a value attached to that colour change.
I wondered whether it may be an anti-fraud measure in some way. But my expectation would be that because tyres of the same size and basic type can be hard to tell apart, it may be simply for ID purposes in the factory and the subsequent supply chain. But I don't know - which is why I asked.
I think Gary is trying to say that the white label tyres are supplied to manufacturers at a far lower profit margin than the retail tyres.

The colouring is used to inhibit those tyres being made available in the retail marketplace.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think Gary is trying to say that the white label tyres are supplied to manufacturers at a far lower profit margin than the retail tyres.

The colouring is used to inhibit those tyres being made available in the retail marketplace.
Yes. This. But it does go a little deeper than that which is why I really didn't want to have to type a dissertation on business practice in the industry.
Sorry Steve. For being so vague but I sometimes find it tiring explaining stuff for no real benefit .

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Just received from Merlin Cycles today, White logo Maxxis tyre, nothing in their description to say white logo, contacted them to check why they are selling white logo Maxxis to be told that is what they are receiving themselves from the distributor. Doesn't weigh 2% less ;)
IMG_1059.jpeg

Last edited:

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Just received from Merlin Cycles today, White logo Maxxis tyre, nothing in their description to say white logo, contacted them to check why they are selling white logo Maxxis to be told that is what they are receiving themselves from the distributor. Doesn't weigh 10% less ;)
View attachment 89817
Sell it to biker with interest just a thought.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just received from Merlin Cycles today, White logo Maxxis tyre, nothing in their description to say white logo, contacted them to check why they are selling white logo Maxxis to be told that is what they are receiving themselves from the distributor. Doesn't weigh 10% less ;)
View attachment 89817

I recently bought my partner a DHR II from Merlin, that came with a white logo too. Tied up with a piece of string rather than the usual Maxxis’ plastic packaging card. I just presumed they sold a tyre that came off a customers bike that had asked for another tyre to be fitted instead

The stock OEM Dissector up front that her bike came with has a yellow logo :)

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
View attachment 89817
no logo showing in that pic mate

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK

I suspect it's a bit of both. As Gary said they will be lower profit so A) they don't want them taken off bikes and sold for RRP (like multi-pack cans of coke "not for resale") and B) they don't want people nicking them out the back door

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK

All maxxis tyres have that text in white - it's the actual logo which is either yellow or white.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Nice with the white logo.
Unfortunately the high-roller(-resistance) is not what I was looking for.

In the mean time, I ordered the Pirellis.

But if whitelabel Rekons show up somewhere, think I ll buy them as spare.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
here's the new set of tyres to replace the draggy Maxxis Assegai+DHR2:
20220610_133408rs.jpg

They have a yellow "M" mark, but I can live with that :)

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
Change Yellow Maxxis tyre logos to a White patina look!

Easy five minute job (per logo) using some water and a nail buffing pad. I really don’t like the yellow Maxxis logos as they don’t match anything else on the bike so wanted to make them white. I started to scrub at them with one of these nail buffing pads and who knew, the logos are actually white underneath, the yellow paint is on top of white paint so you can easily remove the yellow topcoat, but I just kept going to get a patina/worn look, which I think looks pretty cool. Before and after pictures below.

18A9F526-5FB1-41DD-9A08-D060C4FC5374.jpeg

C6DF7107-0A46-4337-92A8-644A78B8657A.jpeg

4F3A80E9-A6C0-48A5-81AE-3ACD68FBA8C0.jpeg

3D8A3EF1-1E3B-4050-A2F9-677F54BAFBC8.jpeg

Last edited:

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
That's already a lot better with the Patina !

Maybe with some detergent or thinner, the yellow peels off and the white stays.
Preferably a product that doesn't eat the tyre afterwards :)
I don’t think solvents will work very well, could smudge or just remove them completely, sanding gently away the top layer is the way to go. You could even get a yellow into white fade if you wanted, by only sanding away the top or bottom.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles