About SCHWALBE Smart Sam 29 x 2,60 ADDIX Performance SnakeSkin RaceGuard Double Defense Classic-Skin

Flo

Sep 16, 2020
Romania
Hi, folks !
My ebike Scott fs came with Maxxis Rekon 29x2,6 who has a serious rolling resistance, also beeing so noisy. I purchase Smart Sam on wires; was wobbly tyres and has a white powder (someone can tell me why some tyres came with a white tint who can't be washed away ?) This next pair was terrible : they look and they feel terrible.
After that i purchase Johny Watts who was almost no rolling resistance but was terrible at corners.
After 3 pairs of tyres i purchase SCHWALBE Smart Sam 29 x 2,60 ADDIX Performance SnakeSkin RaceGuard Double Defense Classic-Skin , i don't know if you know them, was the only tyres from Schwalbe who has yellow sides.

Screenshot_20240229_172939_Samsung Internet.jpg

Finaly i found the perfect ebike tyres for me : they was Ebike 50, very good rolling resistance even on roads, very good at corners also good on offroad trails and some protection on the center even is not so wide like the blue protection on Marathon tyres. But after 10000 km , even if the central knobs has 4 mm meat, i have a flat rear tyre. I know that if you start to have punctures, the tyre is almost at the end of his life. But i check the interior of the tyre, i change the tube and after one day i have a big explosion. Just like that, without some special reason. I check the tyre again, nothing found, puting a new tube and after this a new explosion who unfortunately cracking my rear rim.
I don't understand what the hell happened with my old pair tyres and i change with a new one who was purchased few months ago.
Now all is good , my new pair of tyres has 5000km and i check the internet to buy a new one, to have a spare for the future. And i found that those yellow sides Smart Sam was out of stock everywhere !
I wrote to Schwalbe and they told me this

"Hello,

The tire described is a special series for original equipment, which is specially manufactured on request for the bicycle manufacturer and does not meet the usual standards of our models.

Unfortunately, the decision to install a wear part for original equipment that cannot be replaced in the same way is solely down to the wishes and requirements of the bicycle manufacturer.

Kind regards
Support Center | Internal Sales"
What the hell i must understand from this ? Sounds weird to me. And how i don't want to do experiments again with different types of tyres i look on the internet thouroughly.So i found a obscure online bike shop and i purchase a pair . They came sealed but from the window of the box i see that looks a little muddy, like they was exposed on a shelf and some dust fell on them through time. I try to wash then with soap and water and a tyres brush , dry them without sun rays and now i see that they has an ugly whitey hue like a powder !!!! Like those old Smart Sam few years ago ! Why this ? Because of what ? And that's my new pair of tyres and i don't know if it will be ok to remain with that white hue on the black side, is like a powder or they will crack in storage ? I try to check the date of the production but i found a weird silver code on the back of the tyres like 230121240 and i don't know what that means. Also on the box i found a code FTB4, 08/20. Schwalbe said on their page that they offer 3 years warranty but they doesn't offer warranty for tyres who are older than 5 years from the production date.
My questions are :
- My first yellow sides Smart Sam are good for thrash if they still have 4 - 4,5mm knobs on the center but some fine cracks on the yellow sides ? Why i didn't found anything on the back of them and after this has 2 explosions ? Most of the time i inflate them at max pressure because i need speed;
- How many years can we store a pair of tyres and what is the propper conditions to store them ? What is that white powder who appear after i washed them ? It's safe to store like that or i must treat them with a special solution to not crack in storage ?
- How cand i find the production date of my new Schwalbe pair of tyres ? It's safe to buy another pair of tyres from that online shop even i will use them after 2 years ? It's the only shop who has some pairs in stock.
For me is not ok to try different types of tyres again and if they are not ok for me to sell them cheaper. Is not a deal and generaly i am a person who want to stick from his choice if he found something propper for his tastes.
Please help me with some advices if you realy know what this is all about. Thank you very much in advance, folks !

I need Ebike 50 tyres with almost no rolling resistance on the roads, good for touring but also for offroad, good grip in the corners, some puncture protection, to have 2,6 version and to looks good. Until now the only one tyre who are like this is Smart Sam Plus with yellow sides (not the bronze ones who has a brown sides)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles