How bad are Schwalbe Eddy Current tires to install?

Jvm051

Jul 23, 2023
United States
So it sounds like the Schwalbe Eddy Current tires are some of the best Emtb tires on the market. I want to pull the trigger, but reading about the install of the rear is darn near impossible. For those of you that have installed, are the rears as bad as its made out to be? Also should they be fine without a liner? I installed Cushcores on a set of Maxxis tires on my Capra a few years back, and it was miserable.

RiderOnTheStorm

I've been using the Easy Fit mounting fluid which definitely helped when mounting more rigid tyres.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
I found the Eddy Super Gravity tires to be really tight getting on the rim. Cushcore makes mounting even harder with those. Was not fun, despite using a liberal amount of soapy water & concentrating on dropping the bead well into the rim.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
So it sounds like the Schwalbe Eddy Current tires are some of the best Emtb tires on the market. I want to pull the trigger, but reading about the install of the rear is darn near impossible. For those of you that have installed, are the rears as bad as its made out to be? Also should they be fine without a liner? I installed Cushcores on a set of Maxxis tires on my Capra a few years back, and it was miserable.
I had 27.5 rear Eddy on DT Swiss E1900 rear wheel. Didn`t need any tools to install it so I wouldn`t call it hard to install.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Put them in the bin where they belong and it doesn't matter how hard they are to fit.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Bucket full of petrol and a match would do a better job...

Hahaha guess you’re not a fan… I’ve run one in the rear for a few hundred miles, they wear amazingly well, offered good grip on loose over hard pack, but get a little tasty on roots if I’m honest, probably won’t buy again but having ridden all over from Scotland to bpw have managed fine

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Hahaha guess you’re not a fan…
What gave it away? :ROFLMAO:

I ended up with an EC on the rear as a last resort after shredding a tyre on a weekend away. It took three of us to fit it in the car park and we broke several tyre levers doing it. It is the most uncomfortable MTB tyre I've ever used and the only time it was any good was during Lockdown when I got serious road miles in. It pinged off everything and clogged up faster than the drain in a Taco Bell.

jacob80

Apr 14, 2022
Omaha, NE
I don’t think he was asking for your tire review - the guy was asking for helpful techniques to install them as am I. It goes without saying that if you have a stiff walled MTB tire, it’s going to be much more difficult than not, especially if you have cushcore. Loads of EMTB riders love this tire. Looking forward to getting mine on!

jacob80

Apr 14, 2022
Omaha, NE
Just got done installing these. They’re no harder than any DH casing tire, it’s all about technique. You don’t need more than 1 helper.

Set the tire out in the sun for 30 minutes to start. Make sure you’re using metal reinforced tire levers for a tire like this - the plastic ones will break unless you’re really good.

Bead up the tire and grab your levers. Spray down the bead everywhere except the section that is not yet beaded. Have a helper hold one tire lever on one side of the unbeaded section and work your way down the bead until you get it on. If you’re struggling, force the beaded sections down into the center of the rim. It’s important to spray down the unbeaded section so that the bead can slip down into the center section of the wheel which allows more wiggle room.

It takes some practice but I’ve found this to be the most effective way to mount DH casing tires.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
For my sins I'm running my 2nd Eddy Current on the rear. They are harder to fit than DH tyres (Mary / Minion as reference point).

What I like: Very good wear life. Good rim protection. Excellent low rolling resistance. Straight line climbing and braking traction.

What I don't like: Terrible cornering support. They are fine in steep or bermed corners, but in high speed flat corners where you really need to lean the bike, they don't hold and have an abrupt slide. There is little warning, you end up on the floor wondering what just happened.

Mary/Minion just hold a lot better when leant over and don't spin you out by surprise, so I won't be buying again.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I like to leave them in a hot car in the sun to get them warm enough to fit. Temperature really helps.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
They are one of the worst. Easy to install but there's no grip at even a dry stone. Maybe good on hardpack put if there's roots and stones Eddy's are poor tires. If the roots and stones are wet, Eddy's are dangerous. Imo. Rode about 300km and sold them. Luckily i'm still alive. ;)

Last edited:

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Well i Ride all year round on mine from Bike parks to trail centers and run them front and rear
What i will say is they like the lower pressure better
But we are all different for instance i Hate maxxis tyres with a passion for me there un nerving again were all different and cant like the same things i also hate 29" wheels LOL

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Well i Ride all year round on mine from Bike parks to trail centers and run them front and rear
What i will say is they like the lower pressure better
But we are all different for instance i Hate maxxis tyres with a passion for me there un nerving again were all different and cant like the same things i also hate 29" wheels LOL
So do i. 😁
Lower pressures is not option for me, i don't want to ruin my wheels.

Apr 27, 2022
UK
What gave it away? :ROFLMAO:

I ended up with an EC on the rear as a last resort after shredding a tyre on a weekend away. It took three of us to fit it in the car park and we broke several tyre levers doing it. It is the most uncomfortable MTB tyre I've ever used and the only time it was any good was during Lockdown when I got serious road miles in. It pinged off everything and clogged up faster than the drain in a Taco Bell.
I've just been looking for opinions on this very topic as I have had to give up with mine and leave it with the LBS, hands bruised to hell, two broken tyre levers and a new rim strip needed on the wheel now. Truly awful.
Unlike you, I have enjoyed having the tyre on the bike so far. I only removed it to replace a damaged valve and wish I hadn't started the job to be honest. If the tyre ever needs to come off again it will be straight to the shop. Once it's finally worn out it will be back to WTB tyres for me.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
mine came off quicker than it went on!! Really didn't like it, lasted about 3 rides before i removed it, been in the garage ever since.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Don't know about Schwalbe Eddy Current tyres, but the Schwalbe Magic Mary Super Gravity tyres I put on my wife's and my bike a few weeks ago were absolute bastards to get on. The Maxxis DHR2 DD rears were by comparison a piece of piss to get on. But interestingly, on both bikes with identical wheels the Schwalbes tyres hold pressure better than the Maxxis tyres.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Want to get tyres on even with liners then this is all you need .
I've used it for years and haven't even skinned a knuckle

Screenshot_20231116_061811_Google.jpg

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Personally, I recently bought a "Schwalbe Eddy Current Rear 27.5'' Tubeless Ready Soft Super Gravity Addix Soft E-Bike E-50 2.60"

Mounted it easily on my spank rim, then moved it over to my DT swiss rim without any major fuss. I might have had a bit of an issue inflating it tubeless despite using a milkit air pressure bottle, that's kinda par for the course, unfortunately.

Maybe some versions are worse than others?

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
I use the third pair of eddy current tires. yes, gravity is generally a problem with schwalbe tires, but it's nothing a person can't put on. I ride the rear eddy with a tanuss insert

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
I had 27.5 rear Eddy on DT Swiss E1900 rear wheel. Didn`t need any tools to install it so I wouldn`t call it hard to install.
I had 27.5 ECs that mounted far more easily on DT Swiss rims than eThirteens. I think the rim/tire combo is more to blame than the tire or rim itself.

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
a
it depends on whether the groove in the rim is shallow or deeper. it also makes a difference whether it has a 30 or 35 mm rim

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles