Eddy Current tyres? (Previously a question on casings)

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
I'm set on a pair of Magic Marys 27.5 x2.6 for an e-Stilus.

However I'm given options of Super Trail, Super Gravity, Super Downhill.

Can someone give me a very quick run down on each?

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
The names give it away! Trail lightest tyre. DH heaviest & most protection

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Just to add to the confusion, as well as the casing options of super trail,super gravity and super downhill, they're also available in different rubber compounds, primarily soft and ultra soft. Ultra soft having more grip and more rolling resistance than soft.

If it's going on the front ,and you're a fairly average rider you'll probably be fine with a super trail casing in soft compound.if it's going on the rear and you ride in a rocky area you may benefit from using the super gravity casing.

Fwiw I use a magic Mary super trail soft on the front and a big Betty super gravity soft on the rear

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I had the DH's both ends for a while a few years back, and it was like riding with an anchor out back motor or no motor. Would survive a nuclear explosion though!

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
@Shjay - alas the names give it away to those in the know, I couldn't even begin to conceive of a difference between Gravity and Downhill. I haven't been following any mtb sports.

@Mteam - thanks for the info on softness and your setup

But I'm now in a quandary. Having re-read the Schwalbe website and a couple of E-MTB specific options came up. One was "Marathon Plus MTB" which looks very hard-wearing and has built-in puncture protection, but just isn't aggressive enough for my local mud. The other was "Eddy Current" with a version for front and back. Anyone any comment on them?

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Magic Mary is a great front tire and in the super soft DH casing sticks like glue. It wears pretty good for as soft as it is on softer ground. If you ride hard or loose over hard it will roll the edges of the knobs off in no time. Same for the Big betty on the rear. Not great for hard pack.

Eddy currents only come one way and seem to last forever. They have great stability and good, but not great grip. Over the life of the tire they wear so slowly that they end up working better for longer than any other tire. Everyone around here is running them and I highly recommend them for everything, but wet roots or all out racing.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
I am running an Eddy Current on the back of my Decoy. It's decent but not exceptional. Does seem to be wearing well though and unless it's horrible conditions, I wouldn't say it holds me back. When I replace I will likely go Big Betty.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
I ran Eddy Current front and rear tyres during the wet winter months. They are heavy but bullet proof. I would that they offered less grip than a Magic Mary, but more than a Hans Dampf. One thing that I noticed is that they have quite a lot of drag. They will be good for hard pack and rocky areas, less so for loose and muddy areas.

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
Well, they'll have more grip than the Smart Sam they replace. But the SS were a joy around town, fire roads, etc., very easy to pedal up to speed.

Anyway, the Eddy Currents have been ordered, plus Tannus Armour. Screw the weight I want tough.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles