Off-road tyres on wet winter roads...

Maximus

Dec 7, 2022
Rutland
Hi all,

I recently had an epic crash on my new Turbo Levo while commuting to work. I usually commute on road for a few miles before dropping into an off-road section for which I need the off-road tyres that came with the bike (Butcher/Eliminator), but I find myself really uneasy when cornering on the roads with a view to how much grip I will get in the wet/winter conditions on tarmac, especially on a heavy (26 kilo plus me - 91 kilos = 117 kilos...) eMTB.

Am I just being over-careful by slowing down to a crawling pace on corners / down hills, or am I right in thinking that these tyres will not give me much grip on the hard stuff?

FYI - the crash I had was on wet leaves and grass when I didn't see a hidden curb corner...... :)

Maximus

Dec 7, 2022
Rutland
Thanks, Fat Rat, I have learned my lesson with the leaves etc, I'm more asking about general tarmac in wet winter conditions, and how hard can I corner without hitting the deck. How much grip will I get on wet tarmac corner and country lanes etc?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Thanks, Fat Rat, I have learned my lesson with the leaves etc, I'm more asking about general tarmac in wet winter conditions, and how hard can I corner without hitting the deck. How much grip will I get on wet tarmac corner and country lanes etc?
Thats a bit of an unknown quantity as with any tyre or road surface but off road tyres of any type have never been known for there on road supremacy if you catch my drift
Just take your time :)

SparAu

Dec 8, 2022
Sunshine Coast Australia
I'm curious as to what others think but having survived 20 years of road motorcycling I am a believer in knowing your boundaries of grip, I used to see when the rear would spin up in the wet as a guide to how slippery the road was, 3rd half throttle = very slippy, 1st = pretty grippy.
IMO you need to know the surface, not all roads are created equal, how dusty?
TBH I haven't done much road work with off road bikes/tyres but I thought the issue was more the roads rip them up than they provide significantly less grip?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles