A source for Maxxis White Label Logo

scoobyoesi

Jun 16, 2023
Switzerland
I made some interesting measurements today with a durometer to measure the shore A hardness of some Maxxis tires.
(I measured several times all around the tires to be sure)
Just wanted to share:
1. Giant OEM Assegai and Dissector both 29x2.6 3C Maxxterra compound with white logo. These came with my bike and have approx. 55 shore A on blocks in the middle and approx. 63 shore A on the shoulder blocks. So they are harder on outside than in the middle!
2. I measured also the Assegai and DHR in 3C Maxxterra with yellow logo on neighbors Orbea Rallon in 29x2.5 (Assegai) and 29x2.4. These tires came also with his bike and are generally harder in the middle but softer on the outside: middle approx 55 shore A, outside approx 48 shore A.
So at least Giant has their own specification for (at least some) of their Maxxis OEM tires which differs from aftermarket tires or OEM tires for other bike brands .
The measurements for the yellow labeled tires corresponds with information I found for "normal" 3C Maxxterra compound.

Edit: Bought some new tires Assegai and DHR2 2.6x29 3C Maxxterra Exo+ with yellow label. They are identical in shore hardness as the OEM ones measured above with the same size.
So I think it depends on the size not on the label white/yellow.
2.6 is clearly different to 2.5, both 3C Maxxterra. 2.5 has way softer outer blocks compared to 2.6

Cheers
Urs

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
You seem to be familiar with XX shore A measurements.
Makes me think of Brinell, Hrc,... we used for iron.

What are the values I should want for a tyre fast rolling on straight asphalt, and grip on sharp corners in mud ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles