mudguards

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
I'm not a fan of the look of mudguards, but in wet weather my face and back seem to disagree. Been looking at a range of options, including Muckynutz and the one reviewed by Rob.

Trying these
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG

(yes I will cut off the ends of the cable ties)

A good fit on the bike. And at £3 each from Halfords, about right pricing wise for something I don't want!

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
This crud xl has to be the best I’ve used it’s fitted and removed in seconds using rubber o rings instead of zip ties , it looks great and works very well .
As for rear the only effective choice is still the mudhugger , people dont the looks of mudguards but I always think they look worse on a muddy ride with mud and crap all over them ,and their kit not to mention the amount of wear it saves the bike .
As you can see I also run a crud catcher on the downtube in the winter , keeps the battery cleaner and works as a bash guard against stones

E5A20F53-7F63-40C8-A5E6-2E328303C027.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
and the one reviewed by Rob.
... er?
:unsure:

:whistle:

The Halfords guards you are using look to be the same as Decathlon's Btwin range.
they might be cheap but they don't do anywhere near as good a job as kernow's suggestions above and they look just as ugly
The RRP Max protection offers very slightly better mud protector than the Crud but isn't quite as quick/easy to fit/remove.

@Kernow muckynuts do a really long downtube guard. the "Gut fender" made from the same plastic as their little enduro guards so super light but very effective. it might fit the profile of your Commie slightly better than the crud guard too. Unfortunately it uses zipties (or velcro) rather than O-rings. I used self amalgamating tape round the zipties to protect the frame/add grip when i had one fitted to a carbon frame (more for a little rock/stone protection than mud before I had a downtube protector)

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I'm not a fan of the look of mudguards, but in wet weather my face and back seem to disagree. Been looking at a range of options, including Muckynutz and the one reviewed by Rob.

Trying these
View attachment 12269 View attachment 12270 View attachment 12271

(yes I will cut off the ends of the cable ties)

A good fit on the bike. And at £3 each from Halfords, about right pricing wise for something I don't want!

Sorry to say this but on such a lovely bike those guards look horrendous and really cheap especially the rear one!!!!! Sorry for saying it but spend a bit more and get some good ones! Sorry again :)

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
agree about the rear - though my point is that for £3, they will do the job and I can taken them off as soon as...... all the others are more expensive and not overmuch better. The front is actually neat and unobtrusive, more so than the Crud XL though I agree it won't be as good. The rear - I';ll see how ti works in the wet and decide.....

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
I went with Crud XL and rear Mudhugger + small enduro style cheap fender for the motor area, can't think of a better option to fight the mudspray )

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Agreed - but it's 10x the price :)
Get what you pay for , your rear guard is not going be very effective and will restrict your movement in certain situations . When you have to stop because of muck in your eyes or on your goggles you know your front guard is also not very effective .

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
I must say that I am not completely satisfied with the fender setup. Front guard allows a lot of drit to fly towards your boots, battery and cranks, it also allows some dirt to fly on fork seals. It stops all the spray to your face and torso though, so it's more tailored to protect the rider above calf's, but not the bike hardware.
The short rear guard provides no protection for the motor area, but the shock stays clean, I guess I gotta mount it on the upper suspension link to see if this helps. Or I should get the Large size Mudhugger front fender.
The rear Mudhugger does a great job of protecting your ass and back (and the dropper seal) from muck, which totally satisfies me )
20190330_170044.jpg
20190330_170120.jpg
20190330_170146.jpg

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
I will not ride my bike in the mud on purpose, accidental mud fair enough, but if it looks toi Muddy to ride I won't do it because I'm sick to death of replacing brake pads and chains and other stuff because of all the grit that gets inside I ride my spin bike instead

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
I will not ride my bike in the mud on purpose, accidental mud fair enough, but if it looks toi Muddy to ride I won't do it because I'm sick to death of replacing brake pads and chains and other stuff because of all the grit that gets inside I ride my spin bike instead
I don't ride out looking for mud piles either. But there is no way to know what the trail is like before you ride it, and I mostly don't plan for exact route in advance, I chose the direction and see where the trails and fields will lead me )
And one big accidental splash is usually enough to get you all wet and covered in grit, and it may happen in the middle of a "dry" ride as well, shadowy forests hide surprises ) I will gladly trade the looks for a comfort warranty, I'm not peeking behind the frame to see how my front wheel looks, and not even looking at the back wheel at all. But if someone is into delivering a clean bike looks for the buddies riding along, hey why not )

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Ok. This is how my bike looks after a muddy ride. I definitely need to extend the width and length of the rear mudguard and swap the front mudguard for Mudhugger long + lower tube showel-style fender as the current setup does a poor job of protecting me and the bike components from dirt spray.

20190406_104150.jpg
20190406_104154.jpg
20190406_104158.jpg

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
IMG_9206.JPG

Crud XL up front and a (slightly) cut down Mudhugger at the rear. You can see the clear divides between where they protect and where they don't.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
for best possible protection I'd recommend the RRP max protection for the front over the mudhuger long or the Crud XL.
I reviewed both here for my thoughts between the RRP and Crud (both also against the mudhugger)
Rapid Racer Products Proguard Review - EMTB Forums
Crud XL Fender Review - EMTB Forums

The muckynuts gut fender is pretty long, light, cheap and wide guard for your downtube.

I don't ever run a rear guard but think the consensus is still that the mudhugger long is still the best for any FS mtb.

Could be wrong here but you also look to be running pretty wide tyres?
Seems an odd choice if you ride in mud (or is that all just spray from standing water covering hardpack terain?) Running something narower like a 2.35 magic mary will be better in softer mud and clear faster but also spray less water around the edge of your mudguards. They're pretty good all round incl dry conditions too BTW.

[EDIT] actually looking properly there seems to be no actual mud deposited anywhere on your bike. just dirty water spray so possibly ignore my tyre recommendation

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
View attachment 12769
Crud XL up front and a (slightly) cut down Mudhugger at the rear. You can see the clear divides between where they protect and where they don't.
I expected CrudXL to at least provide good protection of the fork legs and seals which it doesn't. It protects my face and upper torso from dirt spray though. My photo shows unprotected areas very well )

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles