Merida eOne Sixty. Poor climber?

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
I've been fortunate recently to have had several trips on a Merida E160 (old version). Liked the bike a lot but wasn't particularly keen on the big tyres or the shock. I also found that the front end was a bit lite (sometimes a lot!) on some climbs.
So the new Merida E160 seemed to meet most of my requirements until I noticed the new stack height and read the reviews. Everything that I read indicated that the front needed to be weighted on all climbs and even on the flat. Now being a crap climber at the best of time that doesn't look good for me.
Now apart from the cost (GULP) I really really like the spec of the new bike but I obviously can't test it and I'm not spending my hard earned dosh on something that I can't get on with.
So has anyone on here actually ridden one in anger and can comment on the front end OR any suggestions on how to sort the front apart from spending yet more money on revised bars?
NOTE that I've considered the E140 but it doesn't seem to get fantastic reviews on descending. So that's that out.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I suspect that the 2021 middle year Meridas will have the new 630wh battery, and one of the side effects of this is that its likely to put more weight over the front end as the battery is longer.

Aside from that its probably just a case of setting up the cockpit to get the weighting over the front how you want, personally I think its all a bit relative, no emtb is a bad climber, but some may start to get lite on the front on really steep off road stuff stuff due to their geo.

Personally I dont think the new carbon Meridas, whilst great bikes, offer very good value compared to a lot of similar bikes, at least with uk pricing.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
None of the 150 to 170 bikes with a slack head angle are good climbers no matter what the reviews say, if you want a bike that performs on the downhill you will sacrifice uphill performance. Having said that, an E bike will help to a degree and make it easier. I found you just have to improve your climbing technique. When I first moved to the 160 I was constantly dropping a foot on the tight steep uphill switchbacks, now it's a rare occurrence. On the flats or a slight uphill I never noticed it.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
You might want to read this first. I was shocked. I have an e140 and love it. I bought it with climbing in mind (it's really steep here). I have no problems with the bike geometry - just my skill level. It seems just fine descending too. Nothing screaming out anywhere after coming from an acoustic bike riding background - except they are much better climbers because of the motor. Also, keep in mind, most bikes now are enduro oriented, bit more of an emphasis on going down. That's why I bought e140, it seems more of a trail bike 50/50 climbing/descending. You need to consider the focus of the bike; you can't have a great descender and a great climber too, unless you have two different bikes (xc and downhill). What mix suits you?

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I suppose that the real answer is to wait until all this is over and decide after a test. Will probably have gone off the idea by then!?‍♂️

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
The last generation had a tendancy to wander on climbs too. That's one of the downsides of the current geometry thinking.

Saying that, I'm still smashing straight up climbs which give people pause when coming down them. Have a look at your saddle angle

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
The last generation had a tendancy to wander on climbs too. That's one of the downsides of the current geometry thinking.

Saying that, I'm still smashing straight up climbs which give people pause when coming down them. Have a look at your saddle angle
And move the saddle forward!

Sofibacsi

Dec 4, 2020
Romania, Odorheiu-Secuiesc
Hi guys,

New to the forums.

Lower the stem, put the spacers above the stem, use a low rise bar, shift saddle all the way forwards and a bit dip the nose a bit down, these things make a huge difference. I have a 2018 eone sixty 800 with 170 mm yari and 29er up front but with these small mods it climbs pretty well, pretty amazing bike to be honest.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Hi guys,

New to the forums.

Lower the stem, put the spacers above the stem, use a low rise bar, shift saddle all the way forwards and a bit dip the nose a bit down, these things make a huge difference. I have a 2018 eone sixty 800 with 170 mm yari and 29er up front but with these small mods it climbs pretty well, pretty amazing bike to be honest.
While all of these suggestions will help make it a better climber, you sacrifice downhill performance so it really depends on what you want out of the bike. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways and everyone has to find the right balance.

Sofibacsi

Dec 4, 2020
While all of these suggestions will help make it a better climber, you sacrifice downhill performance so it really depends on what you want out of the bike. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways and everyone has to find the right balance.
Exactly, the balance between the two, well said. By making these changes i didn't find the descents to be worse, i sort of like to load the front wheel a bit more i guess.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Hi guys,

New to the forums.

I have nearly exactly the opposite of this and no real issues climbing. 2018 e160-900 w 170mm fork. 38mm riser bars, 2 spacers under the stem and seat pushed back. *very* occasionally I need to sit forward a bit on the saddle but rarely. Things did improve a lot when I upgraded the shit stock saddle to an Ergon EMTB saddle though.

Gordon

Sofibacsi

Dec 4, 2020
I have nearly exactly the opposite of this and no real issues climbing. 2018 e160-900 w 170mm fork. 38mm riser bars, 2 spacers under the stem and seat pushed back. *very* occasionally I need to sit forward a bit on the saddle but rarely. Things did improve a lot when I upgraded the shit stock saddle to an Ergon EMTB saddle though.

Gordon
What size frame are you running? I am using the sq lab active saddle but will give the ergon emtb saddle a try, a mate has one and it seemed very good when i gave it a try.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
What size frame are you running? I am using the sq lab active saddle but will give the ergon emtb saddle a try, a mate has one and it seemed very good when i gave it a try.

Medium and 177cms.

Was a bit skeptical of the Ergon EMTB saddle but now I'm a total convert. Super comfortable and the lip makes a real difference.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles