2019 Motor Distance/Failure Survey

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I can't do this as a poll, so I'll have to update the first post manually, so either put your information in the thread or PM me if you don't want it on the main thread..

This isn't a competition so there's no need to make anything up and there's so many other possible variables that it won't be conclusive but it should give some general ideas of what the motors are capable of life wise - in ideal circumstances (the ones with the highest distances presumably were made without defects and looked after perfectly).

When I say other possible variables, for instance, it might be that 80% of yamaha type buyers only ride up gnarly steep stuff and only ride once a month, so they don't cover huge distances. This information hopefully will just give an overall guide for comparison and it's upto you how you interpret the information.

I'll work it in KM's (just because), so if you have miles either divide it by 5 and multiply by 8 to get KM's or put it in Miles and say Miles and I'll convert it.

This is only for Mountain bike orientated motors. If you accurately (not made up over a beer) know of other distances of friends/family and likewise - failures include that also.

In the Failure section, also include failures caused by physical incident. Whilst every circumstance is different, at some point we will all be throwing our bike down a mountain or hitting a rock and ideally you'd like the motor to survive.

If I've missed a motor off or a motor type you think should be listed separately, just name it as such and I'll edit the list.

For distance covered, I won't bother with anything less than 1000km or I'll be spending all my time updating it :) It won't include any of the new 2020 motors like the new Yamaha or Bosch. These can go on next years and the information from this year can be compared.

Survey.png

Last edited:

Jonnymac

Feb 21, 2019
Inverclyde
2018 Canyon Spectral:ON 8.0 - Shimano motor failed at 1500miles due to EO10/WO13 Error
2018 Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 - Shimano motor failed at 1600miles due to EO10/WO13 Error

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
Bosch cx 2018 failed bearing 160km

Update 2nd motor fail cranks not turning suspect bearings again 600 km

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Probably a bunch of Yamaha owners posing as Brose owners...

Seriously though, your gonna find failures with any brand. I my self have had a battery die with in a month, hubs broken, bolts snap and fall out. Thankfully no motor issues yet.
I’ve had a good LBS repair all warranties promptly. Admittedly I have expressed my feelings towards my bike being out of action for more than a couple days.
But once I’m riding all that disappears. Life could be so much worse and in reality complaining about a few issues on your bike really fails in comparison when you stop and look around at life’s real issues.

It is a privilege to own such a nice bike and I for one enjoy every second I get to ride it.

Last edited:

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
2019 Levo Expert
2300 km mostly steep climbing - I wear out my low gears first on my cassette
Bought it in October and it's never had a problem. I have however as it's a better bike than I am a rider so I crash a fair bit!

Last edited:

Ian

Jan 19, 2019
Nairn
Vitus E Sommet VR 3400 km just failed whilst on holiday in France E010 error code and loss of power grrrr!
Just started the warranty saga with CRC, not impressed by their lack of reply so far

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Yamaha 2017, original battery and motor, 21,000 kilometers. Works just fine
Right.... that’s a lot of trouble free kilometres...

Or

Is it more like what you said in a previous post yesterday ?

My 2017 Haibike is 100% Yamaha with 500 Wh. In over 3,300 kms yesterday i tried to empty my battery for the first time. I came in with 2% and there was no jump. Just slow and regular.[\QUOTE]

0C7935AE-A58E-4920-B245-E780A6574568.png

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Bosch Performance CX.
Motor 1 failed at approx 300 miles, changed at 350 miles, ridden over winter in all conditions.
Motor 2 failed at approx 1000 miles, after spring/summer riding in all conditions, but obviously better than those experienced in winter.
Motor 3 currently ok.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Really not helpful. Back on the Ignore list.
I ignored him at first but then I felt left out at the comments towards an imaginary person I couldn’t see so I un ignored him. Now I just find him comical.
He’s quite “special” isn’t he?

If you don’t reply to his silly comments he will eventually stop.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles